Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 Canadian Olympiad Dream Team roaster

Originally posted by Normand Arsenault View Post
    Why is the: lowest FIDE-rated player; only non-IM/GM; and least experienced player (Roman Sapozhnikov) getting the third most votes... This is beyond my understanding.
    Cause, he has a potential.

The mandate for the Selection committee is to "select three players ... taking into account the players' recent results, potential for improvement and such other factors as they consider relevant."

Though only one players gets on the "initial" team, others two are on a reserve. It might happen that all three players would get on the team if K.S. will decline again, and M.B. will relax on the couch retired.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : 2012 Canadian Olympiad Dream Team roaster

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
      Bluvshtein if you prefer. I don't think that a typo change anything to my point.
      The main point is that it is not his actual name is. In this way you show desrespect to one of Canadian top players and GM in arrogant way!

If, you had any decency, you would at least fix his name on your original post, which you have not done yet! :D

Comment

Repost from the CFC:

Code:
        the 2012 Olympic Selection Committee has arrived at the following picks:
        1. Noritsyn
        2. Hansen
        3. Porper

Comment

Olympiad Teams - Order of Invitation?

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
          Repost from the CFC:

Code:
          1. Noritsyn
          2. Hansen
          3. Porper
          My post about this on the member's CFC Chess Chat Forum:

Hi Michael [ von Keitz, CFC President ]:

With recent changes, I 've gotten a bit confused about the ordering of team invitations.

Here's what I thought was happening:

1. First invitation to Can. Champion;
          2. Next 3 invitations by rating selection list
          3. 5th Board invitation - top on Selection Committee list
          4. 2 replacements - 2nd and 3rd on the Selection Committee list.
          5. if having to go deeper, then according to rating on the Team Selection Rating list.

Do I have this right? ( am I even close? lol )

Bob A

Comment

Re: Olympiad Teams - Order of Invitation?

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            My post about this on the member's CFC Chess Chat Forum:

Hi Michael [ von Keitz, CFC President ]:

With recent changes, I 've gotten a bit confused about the ordering of team invitations.

Here's what I thought was happening:

1. First invitation to Can. Champion;
            2. Next 3 invitations by rating selection list
            3. 5th Board invitation - top on Selection Committee list
            4. 2 replacements - 2nd and 3rd on the Selection Committee list.
            5. if having to go deeper, then according to rating on the Team Selection Rating list.

Do I have this right? ( am I even close? lol )

Bob A
            On the members' CFC Chess Chat Forum, CFC Treasurer, and PEI CFC Governor, Fred McKim, has confirmed that this invitation process is correct. Invitations have now been sent, and CFC is awaiting replies, so it knows if it needs to use any of the replacement nominees.

Bob A

Comment

Re : 2012 Canadian Olympiad Dream Team roaster

1. Peng
              2. Orlova
              3. (Dalia) Kagramanov

I understand the choice of Jackie Peng, since she is a very talented player. However, why weren't these players considered?:
              Agbabishvili Lali 2036 2041 2039 18 Yes 14
              Du Jasmine 1885 2124 2005 14 Yes 16
              Roy Myriam 1957 2049 2003 ≥20 Yes 17

Looking at her FIDE rating, Lali definitely deserved a spot.... However, this might not change anything anyway, since they are only in the reserve list. Also, I must say that it is a great accomplishment from a young player from Quebec, like Myriam, to have a good FIDE rating like this, considering how few tournaments there are. She should be able to be part of the team very soon...

Anyway, good luck to all the players!
              Last edited by Felix Dumont; Tuesday, 20th March, 2012, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                Repost from the CFC:

Code:
                1. Noritsyn
                2. Hansen
                3. Porper
                Dang, I knew this would happen :( Out of curiosity, how close was I?
                Shameless self-promotion on display here
                http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                  Don't worry Bindi, I know that you made a big improvement since the last Olympiad, so keep it up and I am pretty sure that your chances of making the team will be much higher next time around!

I would like to congratulate Albertans Eric Hansen and Edward Porper for making the team. As far as I know this is the first time that Albertan made the team since Walter Hollowach from Edmonton went to Argentina in 1939!

Best of luck to team Canada!

Comment

If you look at the first post in the thread it shows the order of the players by average rating. It looks like they went by the qualified players from the rating list, which is fair.

You seem to have missed by an average of about 12 rating points, so a total of say 25 rating points. You should try to get your ratings higher, particularly your FIDE rating. It might mean picking your spots over what events to play.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Bindi. The committee does not rank those who aren't selected. I would think all of you from the poll in this thread received serious consideration.

The fact that Edward had the highest selection rating would be a consideration, but there are other considerations as explained in the CFC Handbook (on the website).

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                        My team would be from the active players who are likely to accept. I'm excluding players who are retired, aren't active, or won't likely accept. This is in board order.

!. Sambuev
                        2. Hansen
                        3. Gerzhoy
                        4. Porper
                        5. Noritsyn

If Kevin wants to play he'd be board 1 because you don't offer a top chef the job of waiter. Everyone else moves down.

It was always my habit to inform a player of the board he would play when he was invited so he could make a reasonable decision.
                        It's starting to look like this will be the team. Now to see if I got the board order right.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Gerzhoy board 2 looks more likely, rest could go either way
                          Shameless self-promotion on display here
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Gerzhoy board 2 looks more likely, rest could go either way
                            It's match points so I did a bit of stacking on the bottom end.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                              It's match points so I did a bit of stacking on the bottom end.
                              Board order is decided by the Team Captain, who is selected by the players.

I'm not master strength, but I think I would put Porper on Board two, not because I feel he is 2nd best, but because I think his performance rating is higher against higher rated opposition (you can check out results on the FIDE website) than against lower rated opposition. I think after that, Gerzhoy followed by Noritsyn and Hansen (or vice-versa) would yield the best results.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                                Board order is decided by the Team Captain, who is selected by the players.

I'm not master strength, but I think I would put Porper on Board two, not because I feel he is 2nd best, but because I think his performance rating is higher against higher rated opposition (you can check out results on the FIDE website) than against lower rated opposition. I think after that, Gerzhoy followed by Noritsyn and Hansen (or vice-versa) would yield the best results.
                                This is fantasy guessing so here's how I saw it.

Board 2 has to play board 1 when they rest the top board. Gerzhoy and Porper should be able to handle the lower boards and the one above them when they have to move up for rested players. Noritsyn should do just fine on playing board 4 when one of the others is rested. We need 2 1/2 points to win a match and it looks like we'll need to pile up wins on boards 3 and 4.

I've noticed a lot of teams are good on board 1 and 2 but thin lower down (the powerhouse teams excepted). We are strong on boards 3 to 5 and decent on boards 1 and 2.

I hope the player don't find this offensive. It's not meant to be.
                                Gary Ruben
                                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                                X