2012 Canadian Olympiad Dream Team roaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : 2012 Canadian Olympiad Dream Team roaster

To be fair, I voted for the 3 players with the highest FIDE rating (Noritsyn, Hansen, Porper), although I must admit I would like to see Bindi playing :D

Comment

Re: 2012 Canadian Olympiad Dream Team roaster

What date is the Olympiad team finalized?

Comment

Re: 2012 Canadian Olympiad Dream Team roster

If anyone can vote just for 3 players (same as selection commitee).

Comment

Why is the: lowest FIDE-rated player; only non-IM/GM; and least experienced player (Roman Sapozhnikov) getting the third most votes... This is beyond my understanding.

Comment

Re: Re : 2012 Canadian Olympiad Dream Team roaster

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
            To be fair, I voted for the 3 players with the highest FIDE rating (Noritsyn, Hansen, Porper), although I must admit I would like to see Bindi playing :D
            No one seems to be seriously considering Mr. Hebert to be on Olympic Team.

He is qualified according to CFC rules. Maybe he created too many enemies. :D

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: 2012 Canadian Olympiad Dream Team roaster

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
              I think that besides you as a possible exception, just about everyone involved in chess in Canada agree that elite chess players need and deserve funding (support) if we want them to remain assets to the chess community. It is not a question of "trends" or whether or not that support is needed, it is how to achieve it that causes some difficulties...
              I'm not stating an opinion on whether support is needed or deserved, I'm stating a reality of the trend. Funding and support has dropped every year from 2006 to 2008 to 2010. Less and less players on these selection lists have a clear interest in Olympiad. Who even knows what the 2012 project even means at this point; yet players must decide on their path now.

As young people enter university or their first serious jobs, they will evaluate their chess projects accordingly. Right now, the opportunities that may have seemed good 10-20 years ago aren't looking so great now. Retirement from chess is often the best choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail Egorov View Post
                No one seems to be seriously considering Mr. Hebert to be on Olympic Team.
                He is qualified according to CFC rules. Maybe he created too many enemies. :D
                Very few people either thought that I could win the Canadian Closed in 2009. Not even I. :D At my age I must prove myself over and over again...:(

Comment

"Certain players" refer to Canadian Closed, as Canadian Open #2 :p

Some say it is even weaker then annual Canadian Open event, that attackts a lot of very strong GMs. :D

Comment

Re : Re: Re : 2012 Canadian Olympiad Dream Team roaster

"Certain players" refer to Canadian Closed, as Canadian Open #2 :p

Some say it is even weaker then annual Canadian Open event, that attackts a lot of very strong GMs. :D
                    Of course, a Closed tournament is easier to win than an Open, since an Open attracts people from many countries. It doesn't mean that it is easy to win a Closed tournament though. In 2009, Jean Hébert still had to finish ahead of very strong players like GM Bluvhstein.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : 2012 Canadian Olympiad Dream Team roaster

Jean Hébert still had to finish ahead of very strong players like GM Bluvhstein.
                      I do not know any GM by name of Bluvhstein you speak of. :)

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : 2012 Canadian Olympiad Dream Team roaster

I do not know any GM by name of Bluvhstein you speak of. :)
                        Bluvshtein if you prefer. I don't think that a typo change anything to my point.

Comment

Guys, how could you forget about grandmaster Roussel-Roozmon? It looks like there are tens GM's in Canada.

Comment

Re : Re: 2012 Canadian Olympiad Dream Team roaster

Originally posted by Bator Sambuev View Post
                            Guys, how could you forget about grandmaster Roussel-Roozmon? It looks like there are tens GM's in Canada.
                            He is not eligible,since he didn't play enough games.(http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/showthread.php?t=2354)

Zhe Quan would not be eligible for the same reasons.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: 2012 Canadian Olympiad Dream Team roaster

Zhe Quan would not be eligible for the same reasons.
                              He is eligible as it was figure out he played enough games. (source: http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...82&postcount=7 )

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: 2012 Canadian Olympiad Dream Team roaster

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                                He is eligible as it was figure out he played enough games. (source: http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...82&postcount=7 )
                                Oh thanks. The table wasn't updated then. In any case, he's very strong. I recall having seen him last year at the Manhattan Open, where he had a good result.
                                Last edited by Felix Dumont; Thursday, 15th March, 2012, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X