Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 Canadian Olympiad Dream Team roaster

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
    This is fantasy guessing so here's how I saw it.

Board 2 has to play board 1 when they rest the top board. Gerzhoy and Porper should be able to handle the lower boards and the one above them when they have to move up for rested players. Noritsyn should do just fine on playing board 4 when one of the others is rested. We need 2 1/2 points to win a match and it looks like we'll need to pile up wins on boards 3 and 4.

I've noticed a lot of teams are good on board 1 and 2 but thin lower down (the powerhouse teams excepted). We are strong on boards 3 to 5 and decent on boards 1 and 2.

I hope the player don't find this offensive. It's not meant to be.
    You are right, this is "fantasy guessing" which is fun to do but no more. In real life this kind of "planning" doesn't work. It's like betting on horse races. Regardless of the way you switch people around, the odds remain exactly the same, but sometimes one (team captain) can get lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
      You are right, this is "fantasy guessing" which is fun to do but no more. In real life this kind of "planning" doesn't work. It's like betting on horse races. Regardless of the way you switch people around, the odds remain exactly the same, but sometimes one (team captain) can get lucky.
      How would you line up the team? The players have to be comfortable and agreeable to play the board so it's simply fantasy.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
        Board order is decided by the Team Captain, who is selected by the players.

I'm not master strength, but I think I would put Porper on Board two, not because I feel he is 2nd best, but because I think his performance rating is higher against higher rated opposition (you can check out results on the FIDE website) than against lower rated opposition. I think after that, Gerzhoy followed by Noritsyn and Hansen (or vice-versa) would yield the best results.
        You beat me to it Fred, as this is exactly what I was going to write:-) I think that with ample preparation time Porper can play at approximately 2550 level when faced against 2500+ opposition, but his level would go down quite a bit when facing sub 2350 opposition, so he could be good on board 2 or 3. I would put Gerzhoy on board 3 with either one of Noritsyn or Hansen on boards 4-5.
        But that all would of course be up to the captain.

Comment

How would you line up the team? The players have to be comfortable and agreeable to play the board so it's simply fantasy.
          interesting speculation even though it is 'fantasy' ...

the longer this thread goes, the more inclined I am to think that there *isn't* an error in the thread Title: roaster seems more appropriate than 'roster'

:)
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Seems this year a rating rulz thus all players will be sat by rating too :D

There are some other important persons need to be elected: a captain and a head (might be the same person).

Comment

players have to be comfortable.
              It is a measure of a player that he or she is willing and able to adjust to the requirements of the team, but it is even more the measure of the captain that he or she knows the limits outside of which the team must not be f*ed. With.

Recall the 1984 US team board order controversy. The board one choice turned out to be brilliant, but at the same time dubious because the star player decided not to take part because of it.

Other things being equal, each player would expect to play about 80% of the games, with an equal balance of White and Black. But things are rarely equal. If you have on the team players who are willing and able to take on a role, that might affect your board order. Major roles include "drawing with Black", "winning with White". A possible minor role is "drawing with White against very strong opposition". A player who specializes in the role "drawing with Black" (a role Lawrence Day was inveigled into at least once in thirteen appearances on Canada Olympic teams) must obviously content himself with playing more Blacks than Whites, and earns the appreciation and gratitude of the coach and other players. If he draws every game, that is not a lacklustre performance, but a runaway success. It is easy to see that not every player is happy (or able) to accept such a task.

Anyway, the major role players would be on boards 2, 3, or 4. Putting a major role player on board 1 or 5 means that either (s)he has the wrong colour or doesn't play, half the games.

Canada has a lot of experience in putting a young strong but relatively inexperienced player on first board, in part because past Olympic regulations required it (e.g., Hebert in 1978 scored "only" 4-7, against the toughest opposition, but the team result of 11th was excellent. After Canada beat France 4-0 (a result to dream about in 2012!) in Round 12, Jean even got to play the immortal Spassky, playing for USSR, in the 13th round). For Jean, I'm sure this was an invaluable experience that has stood him in good stead throughout his chess career, but I suppose he can speak for himself, eh Jean?.

Or maybe other considerations are paramount. They come to play chess, and maybe putting them in a role, whether it is colour- or board- related, will reduce the package of results. New wine in old wineskins, like that. It's all something for the skilled, diplomatic, charming and authoritative team captain to figure.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                interesting speculation even though it is 'fantasy' ...

the longer this thread goes, the more inclined I am to think that there *isn't* an error in the thread Title: roaster seems more appropriate than 'roster'

:)
                I don't think anyone is being roasted. I picked my dream team before the invitations went out and I picked my board order. I don't know if it's the official team but suspect it might well be.

If it is the team, others should counter with their board order.

So far, I think I've even been on topic in this discussion. :)
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Good points, Jonathan. I'd suppose the team captain would try to gain match ups he wants by the 4 players he uses on a given day.

Still, it's match points and 2 1/2 points are needed to win each match.

Unless my memory is failing, wasn't there some discussion here last Olympiad about stacking lineups?
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

If you can meet the players wishes, fine. But generally they are flexible and quite happy with the board they get. You know, the difference between playing board 3 instead of board 4, for example, is quite subtle... Personally I would line up players in alphabetical order on odd days and in reverse order on even days. :) I have just realized that this could rule me out as team captain...
                    Last edited by Jean Hébert; Thursday, 22nd March, 2012, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                      Canada has a lot of experience in putting a young strong but relatively inexperienced player on first board, in part because past Olympic regulations required it (e.g., Hebert in 1978 scored "only" 4-7, against the toughest opposition, but the team result of 11th was excellent. After Canada beat France 4-0 (a result to dream about in 2012!) in Round 12, Jean even got to play the immortal Spassky, playing for USSR, in the 13th round). For Jean, I'm sure this was an invaluable experience that has stood him in good stead throughout his chess career, but I suppose he can speak for himself, eh Jean?
                      Of course that is the point in playing board one : to get a chance to play a legend. But the game itself vs Spassky was quite poor from my point of view and thus totally unmemorable. I would like my chances better today. :)

Comment

[Event "Olympiad"]
                        [Site "Buenos Aires ARG"]
                        [Date "1978.11.08"]
                        [Round "13"]
                        [White "Spassky, Boris"]
                        [Black "Hebert, Jean"]
                        [Result "1-0"]
                        [ECO "B20"]
                        [WhiteElo "2630"]
                        [BlackElo "2255"]
                        [PlyCount "73"]
                        [EventDate "1978.10.25"]
                        [EventType "team"]
                        [EventRounds "14"]
                        [EventCountry "ARG"]

1. e4 c5 2. b3 d6 3. Bb2 a6 4. f4 Nc6 5. Nf3 e6 6. g3 Nf6 7. e5 dxe5 8. fxe5
                        Ng4 9. Bg2 h5 10. Qe2 Nb4 11. Na3 Bd7 12. h3 Nh6 13. c3 Nd5 14. O-O Bc6 15. Nc2
                        Qb6 16. c4 Nb4 17. Nxb4 Qxb4 18. Ng5 Bxg2 19. Kxg2 Be7 20. Ne4 O-O-O 21. Bc3
                        Qb6 22. Qxh5 Qc6 23. Rae1 Nf5 24. Qf3 Kb8 25. a4 Rh6 26. Nf2 Rg6 27. Ng4 Qc8
                        28. Qe4 Rh8 29. Rf3 Rh5 30. Rd3 Qe8 31. Rb1 Kc8 32. b4 Qc6 33. Qxc6+ bxc6 34.
                        bxc5 Bxc5 35. Ba5 Rh8 36. Rdb3 Ba7 37. Rb7 1-0

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                          Of course that is the point in playing board one : to get a chance to play a legend. But the game itself vs Spassky was quite poor from my point of view and thus totally unmemorable. I would like my chances better today. :)
                          Yeah, OK, maybe I was playing up the Spassky thing. But the chance to play top opponents such as Gheorghiu, Kavalek, Dzindzi, Miles ... did that toughen you for future challenges?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                            Yeah, OK, maybe I was playing up the Spassky thing. But the chance to play top opponents such as Gheorghiu, Kavalek, Dzindzi, Miles ... did that toughen you for future challenges?
                            Yes but. :) If I had played one or two boards lower do you think that it would have made me significantly less tough today ? Possibly we make too much out of individual events or individidual games. In the long run what goes on in between events is probably more decisive. I think that the olympiads are a chance for each country to see where it stands compared to other countries and to recognize and reward its best players. When Canada does not manage to have its best team and reward them financially, it does not manage properly either of these goals.
                            Chesswise olympiads are just like any other high level competitions when it comes to "toughen up" players. And for the record, if I could erase the Spassky game I could boast a 50% record vs world champions (draw vs Petrosian). What a pity. :D

Comment

What about updating the web site with the official team?

Comment

Working...
                              X