Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pogonina hating on Nakamura

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
    I don't claim to be a language purist, that's your designation of me. 'Cop' has been in the English language for over 1,000 years - so f.o., If I want to use a slang term I will. As usual, you miss the point of a ChessTalk post and respond with a non sequitur.
    Hey big guy don't get your hate on. As usual you miss the point of chess talk not being grammar talk and respond with a fuddy duddy reaction.

A thousand years? Tis to laugh. Next you'll be telling us about the cop of Nottingham.
    Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Sunday, 15th April, 2012, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
      "you won't find me singing on this song when I'm gone, so I guess I'll have to do it while I'm here". In both cases the on implies emphasis on performance. RIP, Phil.
      That rates up there with this:

You won't have Nixon to kick around anymore, because, gentlemen, this is my last press conference. Richard M. Nixon.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
        ... Next you'll be telling us about the cop of Nottingham.
        Ah, yes. You must be referring to M. Burak Cop who is currently conducting doctoral research into 'The Determinants of Electoral System Choices in Multi-Party Turkey' at the University of Nottingham's School of Politics and International Relations. :)

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/politics...-burakcop.aspx
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
          That rates up there with this:

You won't have Nixon to kick around anymore, because, gentlemen, this is my last press conference. Richard M. Nixon.
          Ochs wrote a song about Nixon: Here's To The State Of Richard Nixon, but IMHO, it wasn't one of his better efforts. Those include "Crucifixion", "Small Circle of Friends", "The Bells" and "There But for Fortune". IMO, of course. The Joan Baez version of the last of those songs is still pretty well known, speaking as an old folkie.

There's irony in President Nixon echoing the form of expression of a poet whose words, in whatever small way, emboldened some to call for his downfall. Ochs wrote "When I'm Gone" for a 1966 album.

Comment

... 'Cop' has been in the English language for over 1,000 years ...
            But the use of 'cop' to mean 'police officer' only started in 1859, according to Merriam-Webster.com.

p.s. f.o. yourself
            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
            "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

For some reason, or maybe it's no particular reason, I haven't been able to find my Baez albums. Piaf, Mouskouri, Belafonte, my Glen Miller set, I can find.

Nixon would have been gone sooner but they had the problem of getting rid of Agnew first. So they got Gerald Ford, of Warren Commission fame, to fill the position. Arguably, that report was some of the best American fiction of the 20th century.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Ah yes, Phil Ochs, his American "We're the cops of the world!" And you and I - we're the cops of ChessTalk. Seriously, I hate the juvenile bastardization of English. Phrases like - I'm like..... he's like.... my bad duh are all signs of the state of the human race. The human race is devolving now. If this keeps up, in twenty generations we'll be sitting in the trees eating bananas, scratching our armpits and going urk, urk urk.
                Endless repetitions of the past
                http://www.princeton.edu/~browning/decline.html

Comment

Working...
                X