Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canadian Zonal

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    I notice that the video/address took place in the corridor (rather than in one of the playing rooms) - with the four organizers/arbiters conveniently standing between the men's and the women's washrooms. :-)

With one woman already out of the tournament - a second one forfeited yesterday, although she remains paired for today.

Two have withdrawn from the "men's" section, but since it's a Swiss, no real harm is done.
    Serge or someone might be able to put this better, but to this spectator it looks like Natalia will capture the Women's event unless she loses her final game and Myriam wins both of their final games. That would lead to a tie for 1st.

So if Natalia does prevail, there becomes the question of whether there would be a WIM prize. My reading of the rules led me to believe that the proper way to award the title would be to give it to the second place player (using the proper rules for RR withdrawls) as long as they has scored 6 points (from actual played games - but not counting the games from the 1st withdrawing player). So I would think that Myriam and Lali are tied, but Myriam has an extra game to play.

Comment

More uploads at You Tube for men's and women's first round action at the 2012 Zonals... and nary a washroom in sight in either room. Is that an indication that we are approaching equality among the sexes or will it always be: "Divided we sit or stand to pee or play."...?! Anyway - it's all the same water passing under the same bridge to me...

Men's section Zonal 2012 Clip 1
      http://youtu.be/B36FRSKCy9w

Men's Clip 2
      http://youtu.be/6u4o4qgIaY0

Women's Section 2012 Zonal
      http://youtu.be/adVeTPwJWKA

a bientot
      Don

Comment

Sambuev is 8/8 !!

Another win for your enjoyment!

[Event "Canadian Closed- Championnats canadiens"]
        [Site "Montreal"]
        [Date "2012.08.10"]
        [Round "8"]
        [White "Jiang, Louie"]
        [Black "Sambuev, Bator"]
        [Result "0-1"]
        [WhiteELO "2327"]
        [WhiteTitle "FM"]
        [BlackELO "2531"]
        [BlackTitle "GM"]
        [Source "MonRoi"]

1.e4 e6 2.f4 d5 3.e5 c5 4.Nf3 Nc6 5.c3 Nh6 6.Na3 f6 7.Nc2 fxe5 8.fxe5 Nf5 9.d4 Be7 10.Bd3 0-0 11.0-0 c4 12.Be2 Bd7 13.g4 Nh4 14.Ne3 Nxf3 15.Rxf3 Rxf3 16.Bxf3 Be8 17.Bd2 b5 18.b3 Rb8 19.Ng2 g5 20.bxc4 bxc4 21.Rb1 Bg6 22.Rb8 Qxb8 23.Qa4 Qb6 24.Ne3 Nd4 25.cxd4 Qxd4 26.Qd7 Qxd2 27.Qxe6 Kf8 28.Qc8 Kg7 29.Nxd5 Qd4 30.Kg2 Qd2 31.Kg3 Qe1 32.Kg2 Bd3 0-1

Comment

Re: Sambuev is 8/8 !!

Congrats Bator!

For the record, how many previous Closed have had a perfect score? When was the last time?
          Christopher Mallon
          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Spraggett and Lesiege went 8/9 in Montreal 2001.

13/16, 12.5/16, and 12/14 are high scores in other formats.

Bator makes history if he wins or draws Saturday.

Comment

Yanofsky went 11-0 in Montreal 1959 with Fuster second with 9-2 losing only to Yanofsky
              Last edited by Bill Evans; Friday, 10th August, 2012, 08:12 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

Yanofsky also went 11-0 in 1943.

Code:
                46th Canadian Championship

Dalhousie, June 1943	1	2	3	4	5	6	7	8	9	0	1	2
                1	Yanofsky, Abe	*	1	1	1	1	1	1	1	1	1	1	1	11.0
                2	Smith, Charles	0	*	1	1	1	1	1	1	1	1	1	1	10.0
                3	Therien, Jules	0	0	*	1	1	1	1	1	1	1	1	1	9.0
                4	Doyle, George	0	0	0	*	1	½	0	1	1	1	1	1	6.5
                5	Wilson, Stanley	0	0	0	0	*	½	1	1	1	1	1	1	6.5
                6	MacConnell, O.M.0	0	0	½	½	*	1	1	1	0	1	½	5.5
                7	Mayfield, W.E.	0	0	0	1	0	0	*	1	1	1	0	1	5.0
                8	McAlary, H.L.	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	*	1	0	1	1	3.0
                9	Richardson, R.B.0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	*	1	1	1	3.0
                10	Wren, Fred M.	0	0	0	0	0	1	0	1	0	*	0	1	3.0
                11	Balmer, G.R.	0	0	0	0	0	0	1	0	0	1	*	0	2.0
                12	Grimmer, G.S.	0	0	0	0	0	½	0	0	0	0	1	*	1.5
                (crosstable extracted from http://www3.telus.net/public/swright2/homepage.html )

Comment

A truly amazing result by GM Sambuev, his performance rating of 3174 is not bad as well:-)

Of course, there is a very interesting fight brewing for the IM title, as well as, for the two FM titles!

As an Albertan I am quite hopeful for a Pechenkin-Wang playoff for the IM title.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
                    A truly amazing result by GM Sambuev, his performance rating of 3174 is not bad as well:-)

Of course, there is a very interesting fight brewing for the IM title, as well as, for the two FM titles!

As an Albertan I am quite hopeful for a Pechenkin-Wang playoff for the IM title.
                    I'm not sure how you're calculating his performance rating but I'm pretty sure his average opponent is not rated 2774 :p
                    Christopher Mallon
                    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                      I'm not sure how you're calculating his performance rating but I'm pretty sure his average opponent is not rated 2774 :p
                      Right you are! Bator's opponent average was FIDE 2374 in rounds 1 thru 8 and therefore his performance rating is 2774. His new CFC rating will no doubt surpass 2700 again and we'll hear from the usual suspects how this proves that the CFC rating is faulty and should be revised or scrapped.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rat...ormance_rating

The 400 point thing is just a short-hand way to do the calculations.
                        "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rat...ormance_rating

The 400 point thing is just a short-hand way to do the calculations.
                          And you suggest the 800 point thing used by Vlad Rekhson is another way?
                          The '400 point thing' was how initial ratings used to be calculated during the Vietnam war!:(:)

Comment

8 players (almost 25% of the field) are now gone from the "Men's" section.

No game updates this morning - I haven't received any! There are 5 games from round 8 on Monroi.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                              And you suggest the 800 point thing used by Vlad Rekhson is another way?
                              The '400 point thing' was how initial ratings used to be calculated during the Vietnam war!:(:)
                              I believe it is the way that FIDE does it, and now the way the CFC does it. I've read somewhere that a better way to calculate 100% performance ratings is to pretend that the person has slightly less than 100% (say deduct .25 from their score, so Bator would have 7.75/8) and work out the percentage and performance from there. In that case Bator's performance would be roughly 2900-2950, I think. A remarkable achievement!
                              "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

At one time performance ratings for perfect scores in a tournament were calculated as 400 points above your highest rated opponent.

Comment

Working...
                                X