Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Re: Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
    You are doing it again, Jean. Because I recognize a contrary opinion to your own I must have impaired judgment in all matters. I prefer to regard you as the Grand Old Man of Canadian chess, not the "grumpy old man". And I regard GM Sambuev as the legitimate Canadian Champion based on his outstanding performance.
    Doing what again ? Being right ? It is simply that in this particular case what you stick to and call an "opinion" happens to be blatantly wrong. This unfortunately does put your judgment in question. Are you still in denial, despite the unrefutable fact, that there is (among other related rules) a FIDE rule written specifically against pre-arranging games, calling for penalties ? Do you deny it or just pretend in your infinite wisdom that the rule should not exist and be enforced ?
    Calling me "grumpy" is not making your case look any better but frankly, I find it rather amusing. After "idiot", "hypocrit", "racist" and "holy", I can take any such "argument" with complete serenity :).

P.S. I also consider GM Sambuev to be the legitimate canadian champion. Is there a valid reason why you felt the need to point this out as if it had any relevance to the current topic ?

Comment

Re: Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
      Kerry said "assuming a true/unbiased coin toss".... Didn't you read?
      Didn't you read either?

what is a true/unbiased coin toss? one that produces a random sequence of heads and tails.

what is a random sequence of heads and tails? one that is produced by a true/unbiased coin toss.

The definition is circular. Although most of us think we know what we mean by a random or unbiased coin toss, the question of what is truely random is a difficult philosphical question. From an underlying physics perspective, there is no such thing.

Comment

Truly unbiased coin. Just throws it up and lets it hit ground.
        So you would have no objection then for example to me switching that particular coin for another truly unbiased coin? And flipping it myself in the same way?

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

Your first game in the event was a draw against a player more than 400 rating point below yourself. This according to a score sheet posted by Hugh.

On move 25 .... Qg7, an move easy to find and natural, looks winning. Is there a reason you didn't play the move? A win should have given you higher rated opponents. Instead you played the drawing line.

[Event "Superfest"]
          [Site "Sainte-Adele CAN"]
          [Date "2012.08.15"]
          [Round "1"]
          [White "Plante, Michel"]
          [Black "Hebert, Jean"]
          [Result "1/2-1/2"]
          [ECO "A01"]
          [WhiteElo "2016"]
          [BlackElo "2440"]
          [PlyCount "65"]

1. b3 c5 2. Bb2 Nc6 3. e3 e5 4. Bb5 d6 5. Bxc6+ bxc6 6. Ne2 Nf6 7. O-O Be7 8.
          f4 e4 9. Ng3 O-O 10. d3 Ba6 11. Re1 exd3 12. cxd3 Nd5 13. Nh5 g6 14. e4 gxh5
          15. exd5 Bf6 16. Nc3 cxd5 17. Qxh5 Bxc3 18. Bxc3 d4 19. Re3 f6 20. Rh3 Qd7 21.
          Bd2 Rae8 22. f5 Qf7 23. Qh4 Kh8 24. Bf4 Rg8 25. Re1 Rxe1+ 26. Qxe1 Bb7 27. Rg3
          Re8 28. Qd1 Qe7 29. Kf2 Qd7 30. Qg4 Qe7 31. Qd1 Qd7 32. Qg4 Qe7 33. Qd1 1/2-1/2
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

So how about this scenario:

Jim has just flipped 20 heads in a row with a truly unbiased coin. He then bets you that he will get a tails. If heads is shown he will give you 500$. If tails is shown you will give him 100$.

Would you take his offer?

PS I work as an investment associate so I do know a little bit about these kind of things :)
            IMO, Kerry is right. I'd take the bet any day, unless I was dead broke.

I sure hope your employer is doing okay.
            Last edited by Kevin Me; Monday, 3rd September, 2012, 01:13 AM.
            i rep back 3+

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
              Doing what again ? Being right ? It is simply that in this particular case what you stick to and call an "opinion" happens to be blatantly wrong. This unfortunately does put your judgment in question. Are you still in denial, despite the unrefutable fact, that there is (among other related rules) a FIDE rule written specifically against pre-arranging games, calling for penalties ? Do you deny it or just pretend in your infinite wisdom that the rule should not exist and be enforced ?
              Calling me "grumpy" is not making your case look any better but frankly, I find it rather amusing. After "idiot", "hypocrit", "racist" and "holy", I can take any such "argument" with complete serenity :).

P.S. I also consider GM Sambuev to be the legitimate canadian champion. Is there a valid reason why you felt the need to point this out as if it had any relevance to the current topic ?
              Shh Jean. You took the same approach in the other board order argument thread.
              i rep back 3+

Comment

Aren't there alot of similarities between a half point bye, especially in a short tournament, and a gm draw then ? After reading silmans heart-wrenching blog i have to support gm draws lollll.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                  On move 25 .... Qg7, an move easy to find and natural, looks winning. Is there a reason you didn't play the move?
                  You are giving me an idea for a fascinating book "The easy moves that I have missed over the years". I would have little trouble to collect dozens of example where that easy move did not even cross my mind.
                  But Gary, are you in favor of pre-arranged draws or not ?

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

You are giving me an idea for a fascinating book "The easy moves that I have missed over the years". I would have little trouble to collect dozens of example where that easy move did not even cross my mind.
                    I think you just disproved your own point. When accused of making a draw it is too easy for a player to say:

1 I missed an easy move, I'm not perfect.
                    2 I thought I could improve on a drawish line but it turns out I couldn't
                    etc etc etc

A million and one excuses and reasoning, hard to prove what you are claiming beyond a reasonable doubt.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

Not even if you did it. However, I believe both draws were NOT prearranged.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
                        I think you just disproved your own point. When accused of making a draw it is too easy for a player to say...
                        You too have failed to understand the point or you are giving your best effort not to understand. What a surprise...
                        Again, it is not about drawing, it is allowed! Short or long draws, it does not matter. I am all for it and the shorter the better. There is no point in playing moves just to make believe. But these draws must be agreed during the game, not before. This is in the rules and even if it was not explicitly mentionned, it would still be against basic sport ethics.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                          Not even if you did it. However, I believe both draws were NOT prearranged.
                          You really are hopeless Gary. I hope that at least you realise that...

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

You too have failed to understand the point or you are giving your best effort not to understand. What a surprise...
                            Again, it is not about drawing, it is allowed! Short or long draws, it does not matter. I am all for it and the shorter the better. There is no point in playing moves just to make believe. But these draws must be agreed during the game, not before. This is in the rules and even if it was not explicitly mentionned, it would still be against basic sport ethics.
                            Yes but it is up to you the accuser to prove it was before the game. How are you going to do that? Beyond a reasonable doubt.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

You really are hopeless Gary. I hope that at least you realise that...
                              I suppose if I agreed with you then your opinion would be the opposite. :)

When you miss a win it's an oversight.
                              When someone else falls into the Four Knights Game: Rubenstein Variation Accepted, it's a conspiracy. Do you really expect a win from that variation?

Give it a rest, Jean. C'est la vie.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The answer has clearly be shown to be YES. Both the CFC Code of Ethics and the CFC Tournaments Rules, which are more specific, forbid prearranged games of any kind.

Prearranged draws and short draws are two different issues. For a prearranged draw, the criminal intention to fix the game result before it begins has to be proven. This is really hard.

Furthermore, even if there were no written rule against fixing a game result, the preface of the Laws of Chess states that The Laws assume that arbiters have the necessary competence, sound judgement and absolute objectivity. Any arbiter with competence, sound judgement and absolute objectivity would punished a fixed game if he has sufficient proof that the game has been fixed.

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
                                The question is whether a pre-arranged draw is contrary to the rules of chess and I believe the answer has been shown to be No.

Comment

Working...
                                X