Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

My reading knowledge of French is poor (to say the least) but the recent installment of Hebert Parle Echecs (vol 5, #18) seems to indicate that Jean Hebert was upset that Sambuev and Sapozhnikov played a perfunctory 10-ish move draw in the 5th Round...

If I understand, it seems Jean's concerns were met with some rather derisive remarks about him by Sambuev... The Google translation even includes such "accolades" as 'holy', and 'idiot' and a 'racist'.

I gather this was because Jean felt the mock draw (that took all of 3-5 minutes) was pre-arranged and contravened the Laws of Chess (if not the spirit). [apologies Jean, if I do not represent the situation correctly]

Perhaps someone can shed more light on this?
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    As you can read French, go to a French section of chesstalk.

Comment

Bator's replies on the French board were funny in a short, effective way.

Originally posted by Bator Sambuev View Post
      Hebert - Bolduc (2007) - 6 (!) coups
      O'Donnell - Hebert (Montreal, 1996) - 12 coups
      Hebert- Kraiouchkine (2010) - 16 coups
      Salome - Hebert (2009) - 12 coups
      Duong - Hebert (2005) - 17 coups
      Noble - Hebert (2005) - 16 coups
      Hebert - Lesiege (2004) - 15 coups

etc.
      Originally posted by Bator Sambuev View Post
      Saint-Hebert,

Hebert - Lesiege (Quebec Open, 2004) - 10 coups
      Hebert - Lesiege (2003) - 14 coups

Toutes ces parties avec Lesiege ont été vraiment joué? Juste sois l'homme et ne pleure pas. Je ne suis pas obligé de battre pour votre argent. P.S. Je suis fatigué de votre racisme. Il y a un seule idiot.
      And yes, that last one is seemingly dripping with sarcasm!

Also, Larry asked Jean to come over here to the English side to clarify his side of the story. Jean replied that he would be happy to do so, if Larry would provide the translation for him.
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
        As you can read French, go to a French section of chesstalk.
        I wish I had thought of that.
        There may be a LOT of English-speaking Chesstalk readers that would know nothing of this incident.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
          Bator's replies on the French board were funny in a short, effective way.

And yes, that last one is seemingly dripping with sarcasm!

Also, Larry asked Jean to come over here to the English side to clarify his side of the story. Jean replied that he would be happy to do so, if Larry would provide the translation for him.
          Thanks for copy/pasting that - saved me a trip...

Comment

I wish I had thought of that.
            There may be a LOT of English-speaking Chesstalk readers that would know nothing of this incident.
            Aman mentioned that in one Superfest post. That why I knew about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
              Aman mentioned that in one Superfest post. That why I knew about it.
              I've been following that on the French side for some time. Great entertainment! I read the French side to try to keep current.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

There's much more if anyone is interested enough to read. It gets a bit bogged down by the "was anything illegal" arguments. I gather also that this is not the first time these two have had issues with each other, at least that's what it sounds like.
                Christopher Mallon
                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

One can only hope their next encounter is published LIVE!

Comment

Re : Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

My reading knowledge of French is poor (to say the least) but the recent installment of Hebert Parle Echecs (vol 5, #18) seems to indicate that Jean Hebert was upset that Sambuev and Sapozhnikov played a perfunctory 10-ish move draw in the 5th Round...

If I understand, it seems Jean's concerns were met with some rather derisive remarks about him by Sambuev... The Google translation even includes such "accolades" as 'holy', and 'idiot' and a 'racist'.

I gather this was because Jean felt the mock draw (that took all of 3-5 minutes) was pre-arranged and contravened the Laws of Chess (if not the spirit). [apologies Jean, if I do not represent the situation correctly]
                    Your understanding of french seems better than you think and even better than some native french speakers! You got it right! It was a prearranged draw (with actual moves obviously agreed beforehand) in a situation where one player has 4 points and the other 3, being the only player able to catch the leader. In such circumstances, short draws are suspicious and must be looked at carefully. The TD, not uncharacteristically, was not looking for trouble and did not pay attention. I on the other hand was sitting just feet away, waiting for my opponent who was a couple of minutes late. When he arrived, the "game" was over, scoresheets signed and all as if they had pittbulls on their heels.
                    Mr Sambuev did not argue the facts on Parlons Echecs but tried to imply that since I too have played a few short draws before (among more than 2000 tournaments games) there must have been some prearranged ones. Well, he fell on the wrong customer. In that regard I am truly 'holy". Not once have I ever prearranged anything. Being unsocial as I am :) I don't even talk to my last round opponents!
                    By the way that game was important mostly for Mr Sapozhnikov. My share of second place would have been only slighly affected in case of a different result. Frankly, what I deplore the most is the general organizers' unwillingness to defend the integrity of chess, especially when top players are involved.

Comment

Re: Re : Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                      Your understanding of french seems better than you think and even better than some native french speakers! You got it right! It was a prearranged draw (with actual moves obviously agreed beforehand) in a situation where one player has 4 points and the other 3, being the only player able to catch the leader. In such circumstances, short draws are suspicious and must be looked at carefully. The TD, not uncharacteristically, was not looking for trouble and did not pay attention. I on the other hand was sitting just feet away, waiting for my opponent who was a couple of minutes late. When he arrived, the "game" was over, scoresheets signed and all as if they had pittbulls on their heels.
                      Mr Sambuev did not argue the facts on Parlons Echecs but tried to imply that since I too have played a few short draws before (among more than 2000 tournaments games) there must have been some prearranged ones. Well, he fell on the wrong customer. In that regard I am truly 'holy". Not once have I ever prearranged anything. Being unsocial as I am :) I don't even talk to my last round opponents!
                      By the way that game was important mostly for Mr Sapozhnikov. My share of second place would have been only slighly affected in case of a different result. Frankly, what I deplore the most is the general organizers' unwillingness to defend the integrity of chess, especially when top players are involved.
                      Thank you for posting this information.
                      Unsocial? Mais non. Argumentative? Sure...

Comment

Re: Re : Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                        (with actual moves obviously agreed beforehand)
                        Fischerandom would solve this problem. :)

Comment

Originally Posted by Bator Sambuev
                          Hebert - Bolduc (2007) - 6 (!) coups
                          O'Donnell - Hebert (Montreal, 1996) - 12 coups
                          Hebert- Kraiouchkine (2010) - 16 coups
                          Salome - Hebert (2009) - 12 coups
                          Duong - Hebert (2005) - 17 coups
                          Noble - Hebert (2005) - 16 coups
                          Hebert - Lesiege (2004) - 15 coups

etc.
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Bator Sambuev
                          Saint-Hebert,

Hebert - Lesiege (Quebec Open, 2004) - 10 coups
                          Hebert - Lesiege (2003) - 14 coups

Toutes ces parties avec Lesiege ont été vraiment joué? Juste sois l'homme et ne pleure pas. Je ne suis pas obligé de battre pour votre argent. P.S. Je suis fatigué de votre racisme. Il y a un seule idiot.

So what is Bator trying to say? That Hebert is a hypocrite? Ooooh nasty!

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                            Fischerandom would solve this problem. :)
                            Not necessarily. In a way it would make the problem even more difficult to spot. Opening moves would simply become meaningless for cheater detection.
                            The interesting question is : why do two people agreeing to a draw beforehand seem to also need to agree on a particular sequence of moves (leading to three time repetition or a simplified position justifying the draw), which often can be a dead giveaway ? Wouldn't that be enough to simply agree to draw at some point, regardless of the position ?
                            The answer is that cheaters do not generally trust each other and they are absolutely right! Some cases are known in chess history where one guy seeing a favourable position appear on the board, changed his mind and turned down a draw agreed beforehand! Today's "professionnals" have learned from those times ;). And unfortunately they have also observed that in most cases they can get away with it.

Comment

Re : Re: Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post

So what is Bator trying to say? That Hebert is a hypocrite? Ooooh nasty!
                              It seems that your undestanding of french is far weaker than Kerry's ;). Otherwise you would like me find it more stupid than nasty. Many of those games listed did not even have impact on prize distribution, or made me lose significant amounts of money.

Comment

Working...
                              X