Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
    If I'm playing a weaker player in the tourney and all I need is a draw, I'd just offer a draw on any move in the opening since there's a high possibility that regardless what opening it is (petrov, sicilian dragon, a6 b5) he'll probably just take it. I know of players who even offer a draw after being up a pawn against a stronger player. It's not hard to draw.
    Imho, if you are invited by an organizer you are obligated to fight till the end.

Comment

• Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      Imho, if you are invited by an organizer you are obligated to fight till the end.
      Disagree. Draw is a legal result in chess. You may offer it whenever you want according to the existing rules.

If some soccer team needs a draw in the last round game to win the Championship, would you blame the coach if he would put extra defensive players in the starting line? I don't think so. Offering a short draw in the last round is the same story.

Comment

• Re: Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

Egidijus wrote:

Tell that to Alexei Barsov, who was invited to a Montreal International (after having played in many Canadian events). He won 1 and drew 10 - 5 of them in 20 moves or less. He hasn't been invited back since. (in a 10-round event in India in 2004, he drew 8 - 4 of them in less than 16 moves. I don't see his name in any Indian tournaments since.)

Comment

• Re: Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

If an IM offered me a short draw in the last round, I might accept if there were prizes at stake. But I might decline because I came to play, and I would dearly love to be taught a lesson by the IM.

Comment

Working...
          X