Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
    Didn't you read either?

what is a true/unbiased coin toss? one that produces a random sequence of heads and tails.

what is a random sequence of heads and tails? one that is produced by a true/unbiased coin toss.

The definition is circular. Although most of us think we know what we mean by a random or unbiased coin toss, the question of what is truely random is a difficult philosphical question. From an underlying physics perspective, there is no such thing.

http://www.random.org/analysis/

The Dilbert comic strip basically says it all.

I think of randomness as something purely personal. If you personally can't determine a pattern to a sequence, the sequence FOR YOU is random, and the next upcoming value will also FOR YOU be random.

There is also the multiverse theory, which says that for every event occurence that has multiple possible outcomes, a new universe is created for each possible outcome. Each new universe is a perfect copy of its parent universe at the instant of creation, except that the single event that spawned the new universe has a different outcome from the parent.

If each such new universe somehow expanded the 3D volume of our own universe, this could explain something that has been puzzling astronomers for some time now: why is our universe expanding at an ACCELERATING rate? It could be because there are more and more events occuring with multiple outcomes.
    Only the rushing is heard...
    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      I suppose if I agreed with you then your opinion would be the opposite. :)
      When you agree with me I must question my judgment. Am I wrong this time ? :).

Comment

Last edited by Claude Carrier; Sunday, 9th September, 2012, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Claude Carrier View Post
          Once upon a time in the middle ages, a scientist asked himself: if I were to lauch an arrow at that tree with my bow, it would first travel half the distance, then one third, then one 4th.....1/100000000 of the distance... but since numbers are infinite, then it will never reach it's target.
          So he set up the experiment, he fired an arrow at the tree and incredibly, it reached it's target.
          He never managed to explain why.
          There were scientists in the middle ages? Oh, wait never mind he couldn't even explain why an arrow hits a tree. Not much of a scientist.

Comment

What's your explanation?

Comment

What's your explanation?
              Newton's laws of motion. Or in other words he's applying the concept of limit where there is no limit except how deep the arrow can penetrate into the tree. He should take the distance as being to the centre of the tree.
              Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Monday, 3rd September, 2012, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
                Newton's laws of motion. Or in other words he's applying the concept of limit where there is no limit except how deep the arrow can penetrate into the tree. He should take the distance as being to the centre of the tree.
                Actually his problem is he's limiting time, which is causing the distance limitation.
                Christopher Mallon
                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Could you explain how it solves the problem? nevermind

Comment

Could you explain how it solves the problem?
                    Sure to the middle of the tree (appropriate for the middle ages) it keeps halving the distance until suddenly it can't anymore because it is stopped by outer part of the tree.

Comment

• Re: Jean Hebert v Sambuev (not the game)

Last edited by Claude Carrier; Sunday, 9th September, 2012, 08:31 PM.

Comment

You're only trying to confuse me and joking. You're avoiding the question
                        Okay, can you explain then why if we take the mid-point distance to the tree as the point in consideration the arrow is even able to get past the half way point? Which you take as the endpoint totally changes the character of the question.

Actually Chris is right it has to do with the concept of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                          Actually his problem is he's limiting time, which is causing the distance limitation.
                          Can you simply translate the problemm to time then, it first takes half a second to get there, then 1/3 then 1/4... and since numbers are infinite, why does it reach it's target?
                          Last edited by Claude Carrier; Monday, 3rd September, 2012, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
                            Which you take as the endpoint totally changes the character of the question.
                            Let's say it's just traveling in free space, I mean, no obstacle before the endpoint.

Comment

Last edited by Claude Carrier; Sunday, 9th September, 2012, 08:49 PM.

Comment

What I meant was, the scientist made up a universe based on his theories, it should be the other way around. Numbers are not infinite there's no such thing.
                                What you mention as the question, it was a real math problem:
                                What is the sum of 1/ n, when n goes to infinity? And it was proved by a middle age scientist that the sum diverges (infinity) :D

Comment

Working...
                                X