USCF three fold repetition rule different than CFC, FIDE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USCF three fold repetition rule different than CFC, FIDE

edit: oh I see, sorry, I just prefered not to answer.
    I'm not sure why you are asking me...
    Last edited by Claude Carrier; Saturday, 8th September, 2012, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Claude Carrier View Post
      edit: oh I see, sorry, I just prefered not to answer.
      I'm not sure why you are asking me...
      Why do you prefer not to answer?

Comment

Because there are hundreds of people reading, is'nt that obvious? I remember someone writing that we should be carefull not to reveal personal information here, I don't even know you.

Comment

Because there are hundreds of people reading, is'nt that obvious? I remember someone writing that we should be carefull not to reveal personal information here, I don't even know you.
          How does a hundred of people reading chesstalk have any implications on you telling me your job? Feel free to PM me if you like.

Comment

You insist too much.
            Last edited by Claude Carrier; Saturday, 8th September, 2012, 06:47 PM.

Comment

You insist too much.
              You can PM me your job.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                I had a strange situation in the FIDE rated Michigan Open. My opponent a 2200 player made his move on the board and then claimed a draw by repetition of position without pressing his clock. Under CFC and FIDE rules this would be denied under my understanding as the correct procedure is to summon the TD, write the move on your scoresheet and claim the draw before making the move. At one time this was the rule in the USCF as well as I have run into this situation before.

The question then is whether if I had made a move this would have invalidated his claim. I was surprised at the mechanics of the claim and the TD showed me the relevant section in the USCF rulebook and it seemed to support his method of claiming it as being valid. I also thought that a tournament had to follow FIDE rules in order to be FIDE rated. I guess not.
                The TD in the event that I played in last weekend showed me a rule dealing with FIDE rated events in the USCF rule book that seems to indicate that the original TD made an error in the manner that she ruled as the USCF rule book indicates that FIDE rules prevail for FIDE rated events. This is inconsistent with the USCF website.

Further, there is some question as to what information a TD can provide to a player with respect to the correct application of the rules during a game. The original TD indicated to me that she and the other player engaged in a "theoretical" discussion during the course of the game on the proper way to claim a three fold repetition and this discussion led to the incorrect claim. The second TD indicated to me that he could not tell a player the result of another game which might have an effect on prize distribution and the required result in order to be in the money (and informing the players whether a draw would be enough to be in the money) and so a theoretical discussion on the proper way to claim a three fold repetition might constitute improper advice or interference in the outcome of a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                  Further, there is some question as to what information a TD can provide to a player with respect to the correct application of the rules during a game. The original TD indicated to me that she and the other player engaged in a "theoretical" discussion during the course of the game on the proper way to claim a three fold repetition and this discussion led to the incorrect claim. The second TD indicated to me that he could not tell a player the result of another game which might have an effect on prize distribution and the required result in order to be in the money (and informing the players whether a draw would be enough to be in the money) and so a theoretical discussion on the proper way to claim a three fold repetition might constitute improper advice or interference in the outcome of a game.
                  Non-quoted part makes sense. This part absolutely doesn't. Generally results are known as soon as they happen: posted. A TD probably shouldn't comment on the result, and definitely shouldn't comment on what exact situation earns prizes. It's too easy to be wrong or misleading about these. But a TD should always be free to state the rules of play, and the rules of the tournament. Telling the procedure for claiming a draw, when asked for the procedure, is not advising or influencing the outcome. In 1978 when Korchnoi asked whether he could castle, the TD did not say "I can't tell you the rules; that's interference."

Comment

Working...
                  X