• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Assessing Canada's Olympiad

Good work Aris. A feather in your cap. :D

Comment

Congratulations Aris. Another top arbiter from Canada.

Comment

Any tournament can go well or poorly, and there's nothing to be done about it. All the CFC can do is strive to develop a stronger pool of players. The players themselves can review their games and learn to play better in the future. Now if you're just curious and want to assess the team's performance, it should be done something like this:

Canadian average rating, opponent's average rating, match result (1, 0, .5)
        -> compute performance rating.

Is the team performance rating higher or lower than the team's rating?

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
          Maybe this doesn't count as a surprise, but it was certainly a positive development. IA Aris Marghetis was a match Arbiter in the top section of the Olympiad. His final board assignment speaks volumes. He was given the Armenia - Hungary match. I was present at the farewell party when both Aronian and Leko made a point of complimenting Aris for his professionalism and dedication to their match.

Not bad Aris - not bad at all!
          Hal (and others, especially those in person at the RA club), thank you lots for the very kind words! I really felt honoured to finish the Olympiad with that critical match, where I received some extra pregame prep talk from the Sector, Deputy Chief, and Chief Arbiters!

Speaking of that farewell party, Hal and I both noticed what tremendous class acts that Aronian and Leko are! Thanks again Hal for showing me the ropes with the world's best!

Comment

Kuddos to the Olympiad team, and arbiters Aris & Hal!
            Any more interesting stories, funny incidents, discoveries or experiences about such an event in Istanbul?

Comment

Have you always been so self absorbed in nature or is this just a phase ?

Comment

Working...
              X