Canadian Chess News - Changes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canadian Chess News - Changes?

Agree! Tournament ads, tournament reports, Canadian chess events, printable to distribute at tournaments. And a Canadian game of the month, annotated.

Comment

Re: Canadian Chess News - Issue Synopsis

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
      Hi Gary:

GR: " p*ssing the money into a print magazine "

CFC is never going to go back to a print magazine - I think the discussion so far has indicated almost no support for that option. The CFC Governors have not intention of going back to a print magazine, unless there was a members' tsunami for it, and even then..............

The issue is that the CCN costs too much; it is focussed too significantly on international news; it is focussed more on the elite player, which is a minority ( in-depth study articles ); and " Canadian content " should be its niche.

It is these issues that need discussion, to see if there is a fairly substanial agreement with this analysis.

It is generally felt that the CFC should provide its members ( and maybe the public ) with an e-newlsetter, but one scaled down and more focussed on Canadian news. There is no movement to junk the e-newsletter completely. It is a worthy project for member revenue, even if also distributed to the public, if that be decided as well.

Comments??

Bob A
      My comment would be that you are twisting what everyone is saying to support your apparent point of view: That the newsletter should be scaled back is the only option.

Not to mention that you think a poll on Chesstalk is statistically important in any way. And not to mention that you're willing to write off a proposed option because it had only one person (a GM-elect) support it within the first 15 hours of it being posted (most of that being overnight).

This should be the start of the discussion. We should figure out all the options first, and only then eliminate unfeasible ones, and only THEN getting feedback on which other ones to eliminate due to lack of support.

You've jumped right to getting feedback on your one preferred option.

As a matter of fact, I personally also would be willing to spend an extra $10 or even a bit more if it got me a printed magazine. That may not end up being my "preferred" option - I don't know yet because we haven't even come up with all of the options yet.
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Canadian Chess News - Issue Synopsis

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
        It is quite hard to give away an e-magazine at clubs and tournaments... Some food for thought here. Maybe something, if not necessarily a full printed magazine, has to be printed so that we have an effective tool for promotional purposes.
        An e-magazine would be emailed.

With promotion you have to have someone to target with the promotion. The junior membership seems to stay roughly the same. I think they have to find a way to interest adults. Also the strong players. I don't think a magazine would do it.

With the good players once they finish with junior chess and the world travel, I don't see what there is for them unless they can be very good GM's. I guess the idea is to get a job and play the weekend Swiss tournaments for small prizes or travel to other nations to play.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: Canadian Chess News - Changes?

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
          Agree! Tournament ads, tournament reports, Canadian chess events, printable to distribute at tournaments. And a Canadian game of the month, annotated.
          What we can't get on the Internet is the "Canadian game of the month, annotated," This would be valuable content worth paying for [although I'm one of those non-paying Life members]. A GM/IM/IWM notes on their significant games provides great insight that computer analysis never will. It would be great to hear tournament stories from all our titled players. Paying them would contribute to their chess income, although taking many hours to work on an article won't pay as well as teaching. It make them media personalities to care about and follow their careers. This would market them as tournament attractions and teachers, simuls and lectures.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
            As a matter of fact, I personally also would be willing to spend an extra $10 or even a bit more if it got me a printed magazine. That may not end up being my "preferred" option - I don't know yet because we haven't even come up with all of the options yet.
            Considering things like the ever increasing cost to mail a magazine, I don't really know if it's the best option.

I was a bit surprised when I had a look at the governors meeting voting. Particularly the voting on the CCN magazine. Personally, and I stress it's only an opinion, I wouldn't be looking to replace a reasonably strong player who is doing a reasonable job with the magazine. Cheaper isn't always better. Do the people voting know how much time and effort goes into putting together a national e-magazine?
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              I was a bit surprised when I had a look at the governors meeting voting. Particularly the voting on the CCN magazine. Personally, and I stress it's only an opinion, I wouldn't be looking to replace a reasonably strong player who is doing a reasonable job with the magazine. Cheaper isn't always better. Do the people voting know how much time and effort goes into putting together a national e-magazine?
              Gary, how many last issues have you seen? Stronger does not mean better (editor)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                Gary, how many last issues have you seen? Stronger does not mean better (editor)
                I'm not a member. I'm not supposed to see any.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                X