Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ccn

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's done on a first draft basis. How else can you explain the amount of text that was written on that subject? It's obviously a major case of conflict of interest.
    I assume it may be in a contract some or other way. But a censorship during the course - no way.

Comment

This was the first of the last few issues that I took a close look at. The password which has thankfully been removed is a serious pain in the lower regions. I'm not sure that I would have put in the fiction piece if it had been up to me but beyond that the rest of the issue would be what I would want to see in a Canadian chess publication. The article by Porper on his Olympiad while somewhat subjective did give his perspective on the experience. Similar writings from the point of view of other participants would have been nice.

I see glimmers of hope for the continuance of CCN based on the contents of this issue though it does consume a significant portion of the CFC budget.

Comment

Re : Ccn

I must admit I was also disappointed by Edward's article. Not only did he went too far in his critics, but the article was also way too long.

This is definitely not the kind of articles that interest most readers, especially those who are only looking to simply play chess occasionally.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
          I see glimmers of hope for the continuance of CCN based on the contents of this issue though it does consume a significant portion of the CFC budget.
          I notice the USCF charges $49. for an adult membership. The CFC is $36. Life memberships are also more expensive in the U.S.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I'm happy to send the CCN link to anyone who wants to read this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
              This sort of offer will make the "plain brown envelope" obsolete.

The five years I was editor and publisher for the CCCA publication, I wrote what I wanted. People even got to read about the skunks which took up residence under my next door neighbors new front stairs. You ever try washing a dog with tomato juice and then baking soda and water at 1 in the morning?

Lots of my own games and many loses. The loses were good for promotion. Games from players in classes including "D" class. They like to see their games as well.

While I continued with the tournament directing and membership secretary duties for many more years, I never really knew it I stepped down as editor or if I was fired from that job. At best, it was pretty mutual and I didn't have an original idea left in my mind for the next issue.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                I notice the USCF charges $49. for an adult membership. The CFC is $36. Life memberships are also more expensive in the U.S.
                I paid $48 for a CFC membership a few days ago (OCA and HST included). The all in price for both memberships are about equivalent and for the USCF fee you get a glossy magazine 12 times a year delivered into your mailbox. There are options to read the magazine on the website for about $10 less. For the money you also get a much more active tournament schedule.

At the moment it is hard for me to justify spending $300 or $400 (entry fee, hotel and gas) or more to play in a Canadian tournament when my alternative is to spend $40 or $100 to get an equivalent experience in Detroit. Even when you do have to spend a night in a hotel, the cost seems to be quite a bit less in the U.S. To top it all off the gas is ridiculously less expensive in Michigan and nullifies some of the other expenses like tunnel tolls.

Comment

kerryliles at outlook.com

Thanks
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I sent it to you as a PM, kerry.

Comment

I sent it to you as a PM, kerry.
                      Got it - thanks! Yes, the article in question was definitely as advertised: one person's perspective. If the author was not the editor of the CCN, I wonder if any of that information would have been widely known?
                      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I paid $48 for a CFC membership a few days ago (OCA and HST included). The all in price for both memberships are about equivalent and for the USCF fee you get a glossy magazine 12 times a year delivered into your mailbox. There are options to read the magazine on the website for about $10 less. For the money you also get a much more active tournament schedule.
                        I thought it was $38. for a CFC membership and however much for the OCA. If you play in the U.S. I would assume you have to buy one of their memberships. If you win money doesn't the TD have to deduct taxes?

I don't know how many members the USCF has these days.

If costs for most things are much less in the U.S., how do they get away with charging so much more for a chess membership than is charged in Canada? Their either over priced or we're under priced.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                          I thought it was $38. for a CFC membership and however much for the OCA. If you play in the U.S. I would assume you have to buy one of their memberships. If you win money doesn't the TD have to deduct taxes?

I don't know how many members the USCF has these days.

If costs for most things are much less in the U.S., how do they get away with charging so much more for a chess membership than is charged in Canada? Their either over priced or we're under priced.
                          Whatever it is the price for a CFC membership works out to be the same as in the USCF since I can't join the CFC without joining the OCA and paying HST. You can get a premium USCF membership which includes a copy of Chess Life twelve times a year for $46 for one year, $72 for two years, and $122 for three years. There is an option for a regular membership and online access to Chess Life for $40 per year and less for two and three year options. I believe the USCF has in the range of 70,000 to 80,000 members. Chess Life is worthwhile in and of itself. Its not quite as good as New In Chess but it is definitely worth at least $4 an issue for what you get.

The latest issue has a report on the World Open, articles and annotations from GMs Sokolov, Soltis, Shabalov, Benko, Alburt and Finegold along with some good content from non-GM writers as well. It has a cover price of $5.95 and I would probably cheerfully pay that at the news stand if I didn't get it with my membership. The magazine is in colour with lots of photos of chess personalities and also ads for chess products of interest to me.

At one time (around 1992) for wins over $600 in the USCF they would withhold taxes on people who did not have a U.S. social security number. That dollar cutoff may have risen in the interim. Most of the tournaments that I play in don't have huge prizes and the ones that do have generous prizes usually have a few GMs available to scoop up the prizes.

We are clearly not underpriced in Canada and I feel that they are not overpriced given the higher level of service provided.
                          Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Thursday, 25th October, 2012, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Re : Re: Ccn

So what are your thoughts on the appropriateness of the article, Jean?
                            What kind of publication can survive and draw readers without a little "inappropriateness" ? Edward Porper relates in detail as a player how was his olympic experience, what he hoped for and why it did not happen. What more readers can ask for ? Better than reality shows. It is reality!
                            Yes his comments about the team captain can bother a few people, most certainly the individual involved. But nonetheless he makes a lot of legitimate points. The team's captain job is very important and this time someone with no olympic experience, either as a player or as a captain, was selected. This was bound to cause some problems that an experienced individual could have avoided. I can certainly relate to the feeling of being excluded for age reasons and cause of "no chance to improve any more". It is good that once in a while these things go public. It is not about whether Porper is right or wrong, it is how he sees his experience and how he felt through it. Overall I would say that the only place for such an article was CCN and thus that it was appropriate. Otherwise we are stuck with the politically correct and boring that only skims the surface of things.

Comment

Thanks for your perspective, Jean. Maybe the CCN Editor will provide equal space for a response in the next edition.

Comment

We are clearly not underpriced in Canada and I feel that they are not overpriced given the higher level of service provided.
                                Of course, in Canada the level of service can't be more because the price is too small. It's a circle.
                                Gary Ruben
                                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                                X