Vote for 2008 Canadian Chess Player of the Year!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vote for 2008 Canadian Chess Player of the Year!

Ben : "As for a game contest, I think that's an interesting idea, but I really don't follow chess games close enough to have any useful input."

Here we are:

Thavandiran,S (2372) - Hansen,E (2347) [B48]
    CYCC U16 Quebec CAN (3), 15.07.2008

1.e4 e6 2.Nf3 c5 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 a6 5.Nc3 Qc7 6.Bd3 Nf6 7.0-0 d6 8.Kh1 Nc6 9.Be3 Be7 10.a4 0-0 11.f4 b6 12.e5 dxe5 13.Nxc6 Qxc6 14.fxe5 Bb7 15.Qe2 Nd7 16.Bd4 Nc5 17.Bxc5 Qxc5 18.Rad1 Qb4 19.Qe3 Rad8 20.b3 Qg4 21.Be4 Bxe4 22.Qxe4 Qxe4 23.Nxe4 f5 24.exf6 gxf6 25.g4 Kg7 26.Kg2 h5 27.h3 hxg4 28.hxg4 Rxd1 29.Rxd1 Rd8 30.Re1 Rc8 31.Re2 Bb4 32.Kf3 Rd8 33.Nf2 Kf7 34.Re4 Bd6 35.Rc4 Ke7 36.Ne4 Be5 37.Rc6 Rb8 38.a5 Kd7 39.Rxb6 Rxb6 40.axb6 Kc6 41.b7 f5 42.Ng5 Kd7 43.Nf7 Bb8 44.g5 Ke7 45.g6 e5 46.Nd8 e4+ 47.Ke2 Kf6 48.Nc6 Bc7 49.b8Q Bxb8 50.Nxb8 Kxg6 51.Nxa6 Kg5 52.Nc5 1-0

Comment

The intention was respectful but when Daswani started I would have pulled the poll.
      I think David needed to look past his good intentions. Perhaps though David was thinking why give in to these kind of negative pressures I've been there many times ( much worse ) and I guess sometimes it's better to give in short run.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
        The intention was respectful but when Daswani started I would have pulled the poll.
        I think David needed to look past his good intentions. Perhaps though David was thinking why give in to these kind of negative pressures I've been there many times ( much worse ) and I guess sometimes it's better to give in short run.
        Dearest child,

Firstly, so happy so see that you responded to NONE of my questions. Thank you for demonstrating your inability to form a rational thought.

This time I'll only ask one. Maybe you'll be able to handle it. In what way have I cheated? Cohen asked people to rally votes from people who don't play chess. I did this.

I also only did this after you enabled a script to automatically vote for Shiyam. Deny it all you want. It's pretty clear to anyone who's familiar with your antics.

P.S. If you're having trouble locating the question, look for the bold text.
        everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
          For that you should get a medal from David Cohen, or at least a special thanks note. (It might hard to prove your accomplishments...)
          I didn't actually come up with the idea. I was struggling with a fake poll vote-redirect scheme before a friend suggested an idea that worked perfectly:

On the Internet, there exist a plethora of forums inhabited primarily by teenage boys. I joined one of these forums. I spun them a tale of my friend, a chess player. He had had a rough year. His father killed himself and his mother had become ill. His family had become poor. He had coped by playing chess and had accomplished some incredible feats. Only 13 years old, he had won the Canadian chess championship and defeated the world's fifth ranked player in a tournament game. He was in a poll for Canadian Chess Player of the Year. Winning the poll would greatly help him obtain sponsorship so he could play in European tournaments and continue to improve. I gave them the link to the poll. I said my friend's name was Shiyam Thavandiran.

Never underestimate the maliciousness of teenage boys protected by anonymity.
          everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

First: the Canadian player of the year should RESIDE in Canada.
            second: they should REPRESENT Canada in international competitions.

If the player doesn't meet these criteria, they shouldn't be nominated.
            I don't really care if the player is the highest rated but they should have actually done something for Canada

also It would be nice is CFC members nominate and vote not some silly poll which can be easily manipulated. email or even snail mail nomination votes??

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              I didn't know that. With Kevin's name still on the ballot he should certainly have received more votes than he did.

I'm not saying the person who won should not have won. My point is that Pascal and Kevin should have received more votes from the journalists than they did.
              Spraggett is probably the best chessplayer on the list, but I don't see the point of including him since he hasn't played a game here in 4 years from what I can see. Does he even live in Canada?

Comment

Originally posted by Nic Haynes View Post
                Spraggett is probably the best chessplayer on the list, but I don't see the point of including him since he hasn't played a game here in 4 years from what I can see. Does he even live in Canada?
                I believe he lives in Portugal. He does visit here from time to time...
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Nic Haynes View Post
                  If this is only for Canadians living and playing in Canada, then I have made an error. When I see a picture of Spraggett playing, he always has a Canadian Flag. Also, he was on the list.

Possibly the same reasoning was applied to Pascal who didn't make the top 10.

I never even thought of that.

I voted for a correspondence player but was only voting for the equivalent of one editor vote from the list for the entire message board. The editors had to vote 1st, 2nd and 3rd, the way I understand it, with a different number of votes being counted for each of their placings. My vote didn't count in the placings. I voted for one of my correspondence Olympic team mates. I didn't have a second and third pick.

Maybe I should go let my dog, Beware, bite me some more. I hate when that happens. :)
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

David,

From now on you might want to require the journalists to put in all three votes... otherwise it's a huge advantage for someone if a journalist only votes them 1st place without giving any other points to other players.
                    Christopher Mallon
                    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                      David,

From now on you might want to require the journalists to put in all three votes... otherwise it's a huge advantage for someone if a journalist only votes them 1st place without giving any other points to other players.
                      Did that go on as well?

Voting for only one person when the ballot asks for two or more choices is called "plunking".

I did that the year we elected an 18 year old as school trustee. A writeup in the local newspaper suggested it was done by many in that election and the voters probably didn't understand they could vote for more than one person.

Some might refer to it as cheerleading, but I saw it as a reasonable way to show my displeasure with the incumbents.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

This is a ridiculously hilarious thread I was unaware of until now.

Where is 2012's edition? It seems I picked the wrong year to turn in decent results... where is the fan ballot and player of the year award? There was one last year so I didn't think it would be forgotten.

Anyways, these things are fun, so David Cohen (or anyone) where is it? My vote goes to Eric Hansen, the real winner of the 2008 vote and a favourite for 2012 :D

Comment

Comment

ha i remember this. i went on /b/ and asked people to vote for shiyam. then a few hundred people voted hansen because "nypa"... so easy

obvs duncan used a script

Comment

Working...
                            X