Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Toronto Blue Jays!!

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
    My endgame play left much to be desired, though I think I tended to play too fast - perhaps because the playing hall this year (an arena) happened to be quite cool. The prize money will come in very handy. :)

I hope they paid in cool cash. :)
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      I hope they paid in cool cash. :)
      It was a crushing cheque, delivered to me personally. :D

Next year the tournament may move to downtown Arnprior, even closer to a great restaurant the chessplayers like to eat at, along with regular townsfolk. I was told yet another establishment in Arnprior has won an award for serving the best fries in North America.
      Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
      Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

I lied, I couldn't stay away from the Blue Jays and I just saw them win down 7-0 against the Rays. OMG, that's the TSN turning point right there.
        Shameless self-promotion on display here
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
          I lied, I couldn't stay away from the Blue Jays and I just saw them win down 7-0 against the Rays. OMG, that's the TSN turning point right there.
          We're getting pretty far into the season now. The pitching was brutal tonight, I thought. I'd put that pitcher on waivers and if he clears send him to the minors to work out his problems. If someone claims him let them pay his salary.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Problem is that Mark Buehrle just isn't very good, he's a soft-tossing lefty whose fastball is in the mid 80s and who is only getting worse with age. He survived beforehand because his fastball was faster and the ballparks were generally more favorable than the Skydome. He gives up a ton of homers and with Skydome's park dimensions he gets throttled consistently. I didn't think he was going to be this awful but other than the brutal 3rd inning, he actually managed to recover somewhat and not give up any more runs. But that 7-spot in the third was just gut-quenching. No one's gonna pick him up though because he's basically a terrible pitcher being paid like a #2 guy.

Comment

3 in a row, come back from behind again against Tampa, of all teams, LOL

Comment

The Jays season looks almost over and the Leafs are still competing...
                If I'm counting right, the Jays are 9 1/2 games out of the second AL wildcard spot after tonight. Their season is thus pretty much shot in my books. The Leafs live on in a pale fashion, as if to spite me, as they are the NHL team I root against the most passionately in a given year nowadays (the New Jersey Devils are a close second, because of their imprudently chosen moniker).

The Jays have a lot of new players this season and they seem to need some time to come together...
                This is another reason I had strong misgivings about the Jays chances even before the season began. In fact, all these new players also have to get used to living and playing in a new city.

If Jays management doesn't panic and unload a lot of these otherwise talented new players, the Jays could be a real contender next season, perhaps.

Comment

I used to watch the Jays in the bad old days when they started. The only player who was really worth watching was Dave Stieb. He wanted to win every time he pitched. I think he was a converted outfielder and could field his position very well when he pitched.

I'd go to exhibition stadium and later the Skydome maybe half dozen times a year. The Skydome is a walk from the Go Train so I haven't gone for a lot of years now. Steib pitched more times when I was there than getting tickets for random dates would indicate.

I'd love to see the Jays and Leafs win it all again, but knowing they won't doesn't stop me from watching. We've had some really good players over the years even though the teams didn't make it.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I used to watch the Jays in the bad old days when they started. The only player who was really worth watching was Dave Stieb. He wanted to win every time he pitched. I think he was a converted outfielder and could field his position very well when he pitched.

I'd go to exhibition stadium and later the Skydome maybe half dozen times a year. The Skydome is a walk from the Go Train so I haven't gone for a lot of years now. Steib pitched more times when I was there than getting tickets for random dates would indicate.

I'd love to see the Jays and Leafs win it all again, but knowing they won't doesn't stop me from watching. We've had some really good players over the years even though the teams didn't make it.
                    I went to Exhibition Stadium at least twice with a friend, to watch the Jays in the 1980s. They won and lost by lopsided scores in the two times that I recall. Steib was pitching in the win (can't recall against which team, but for the bad loss it was 7-0 versus KC).

I went to Maple Leaf Gardens once, in the late 1970s with my father. The Leafs lost to the Penguins in that game, 5-2. It's not like on TV, in that during the silence for a commercial break I heard some leather-lung holler "Nice team, Ballard!".
                    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Sunday, 12th May, 2013, 06:39 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

The thing is... Arencibia just isn't that good. I know everyone loves seeing 20 homers from a catcher but he has a career 275 opb with slightly below average defense and a tendency to strike out a TON. Before 2012, he was one of the worst defensive catchers in the league so he actually took a step forward since then. He was a AAA star but that was in the PCL league, an extremely hitter friendly environment - think Coors field in Colorado, and he did it in his 2nd year. His first year at PCL had a triple slash line of something like 230/330/440, the major league equivalent of Jeff Mathis (check his career MLB stats). D'Arnaud's first year at PCL in a injury-shortened season had him hitting like 330/380/570. He essentially matched Arencibia's 2nd year at the PCL environment while being 2 years younger at the time and having superior defensive ability.

Catchers with 20 homers do not grow on trees but if they cant get on base, they're not that useful in the grand scheme of things. The Jays are not that strong in catching as essentially their next prospect after Arencibia is Jiminez all the way down in Single A (I believe) That means it will take probably 3 years before we get anyone other than Arencibia. Yeah... I'm not impressed with the deal as I'm hoping AA doesn't sign the contract. Plus, I'm sure he was upset with all the leaks in the trade, I know I would be if something that important to me was chronicled step by step.
                      I should have checked your claims out when you posted this. Arencebia hit 32 hrs in 2/3 of a season in the PCL and was named league MVP. So your claim was that Arencebia, after only two seasons in the majors just "isn't very good" !!!!!

Every team needs run producers. If you can get production out of your catcher or SS, even better. There are reasons why guys like Adam Dunn still have a place in baseball. If they can catch, hell, you have a major league job for life. You called him a "20 hr guy" and that was misleading because that's the low point of his range ( it's also in a catcher's normal season, less ab's then most sluggers ). If you think guys like this grow on trees well tell me then why teams like the Mariners can't even find a single guy to bat clean up ( any position ) and produce at Arencebia's level.

D'Arnaud, who knows, he has zero major league experience so far and seems to get injured a lot.
                      Last edited by Duncan Smith; Wednesday, 15th May, 2013, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                        I should have checked your claims out when you posted this. Arencebia hit 32 hrs in 2/3 of a season in the PCL and was named league MVP. So your claim was that Arencebia, after only two seasons in the majors just "isn't very good" !!!!!

Every team needs run producers. If you can get production out of your catcher or SS, even better. There are reasons why guys like Adam Dunn still have a place in baseball. If they can catch, hell, you have a major league job for life. You called him a "20 hr guy" and that was misleading because that's the low point of his range ( it's also in a catcher's normal season, less ab's then most sluggers ). If you think guys like this grow on trees well tell me then why teams like the Mariners can't even find a single guy to bat clean up ( any position ) and produce at Arencebia's level.

D'Arnaud, who knows, he has zero major league experience so far and seems to get injured a lot.
                        Duncan, for all your bashing on Kevin Pacey as a casual fan, you seem to be a typical casual fan defending Arencibia because of all his homers. Adam Dunn still gets a place in baseball because not only does he get paid a lot of money, he is a true 3 outcome player - hits homers, strikes out a shit ton and walks a lot. Adam Dunn has actually been awful early on in this season and his old-player skills have been declining steadily as he grows older. Imagine if Adam Dunn is 28 years old with a minimum league contract - he would not be starting.

LOL RUN PRODUCING LMFAO - are you serious? Driving in runs is only a product of where he's hitting in the batting order. And the only reason he's hitting cleanup is because he only hits homers or strikes out - therefore no gidp if Bautista or Encarnacion gets on base. He used to hit in the 8th hole but luckily for him, Jays have some really bad hitters in those places right now - Kawasaki, Bonafacio, Izturis, Rasmus (who strikes out just as much) Have you seen his triple slash line? 230 batting average, 246 on base % and 475 slugging. For all his homers, he's opsing +89, basically 11% below league average. He's going to be much worse when he goes on a 20 game homerless streak. Have I mentioned his walk rate is 2nd worst with 2 walks in 142 plate appearances (The leader, Jeff Keppinger, has 0 walks) and his strikeout rate is monstrous at 48 strikeouts in 142 plate appearances? I think he's one of the league leaders there too.

If you have to ask why Mariners can't field a proper cleanup hitter, you probably haven't been watching them play in recent years. They are one of the worst hitting ballclubs in the past 3 years. That's what happens when you employed Chone Figgins for 2 years while he was worth negative WAR.

D'Arnaud > Arencibia. When everyone wants D'Arnaud over Arencibia (including the front office staff) that usually means something, even with the injury concerns.

Comment

Oh please, you've totally lost it, I wish you'd park your ego and understand I know at least as much and probably more then you do about baseball. Your obsession with numbers is way over the top. You need PERSPECTIVE on how to use those numbers.

For example, league MVP at AAA level speaks directly to how baseball people and peers think about a player.

Adam Dunn would be starting at age 28. Any player who hits 25-30 hr starts. Do you remember Rob Deer ? Oh wait, you'll have to Google him because you don't know everything do you son ?

And your claim that everyone wanted D'Arnaud over Arencebia is untrue. Actions speak larger then words. Arencebia has the job. The Jays have traded every major league ready catcher in their system over 4 years on the basis that he's their man. End of story.
                          And if you truly followed baseball, you'd know that catchers tend to reach their potential at a later age then other players.

And when you post that somehow I might not be aware about the Mariners when I specifically referred to them, I think you are being excruciatingly stupid. The Mariners need a power bat. THAT'S WHY I MENTIONED THEM.
                          Last edited by Duncan Smith; Thursday, 16th May, 2013, 03:40 PM.

Comment

LOL, so this is how you react when someone presents facts over opinion? Call someone crazy and egotistical? That's just exquisitely charming. You are truly a special human being :)

There's no point giving examples in the past. We don't live in the 20th century, this is 2013 and you have to get on with the times. I don't think you can actually read english because from what I can tell, I believe I wrote that Arencibia had a great season in AAA pacific coast league where everyone is hitting like it's Coors Field at the age of 24. D'arnaud matched that production at the age of 21 and on top of that is renowned as a great defensive catcher. But then again, you'll probably skim past this sentence and twist it into something else. You do understand that a 21 year old hitting as well as a 24 year old in the same league with better defense is a more valuable player right?

I don't know what world you live in but the Mets wanted D'arnaud in any deal, not Arencibia and even now with D'arnaud injured and Arencibia hitting homers and striking out a third of his at bats, I would want D'arnaud.

I know you love using anecdotes to back up your assumptions but here's some links with facts and statements
                            http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...ra-dickey.html
                            Note here "Travis d'Arnaud was a "must have" during the winter meetings for a deal with the Blue Jays to happen, sources tell Andy Martino of the Daily News "
                            And here "The Mets also are expected to acquire either J.P. Arencibia or Travis d’Arnaud. However, the Blue Jays are looking to get more out of the deal if they surrender d'Arnaud."

Here
                            "Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com says the two sides have agreed that d'Arnaud can be the centerpiece of the trade after the Mets rejected a Gose/J.P. Arencibia package"

I think it's pretty clear that everyone wanted D'arnaud over Arencibia. I like how you resort to name-calling and verbal abuse rather than present facts and statements in an argument. And before you tell me that Arencibia is a better catcher because he drives in runs and is a natural leader, just save it and actually look at his numbers. Good looks and clubhouse chemistry don't win ball-games, getting on base, being a good defensive catcher and doing something other than hit home runs and striking out does.

Comment

LOL, so this is how you react when someone presents facts over opinion? Call someone crazy and egotistical? That's just exquisitely charming. You are truly a special human being :)

There's no point giving examples in the past. We don't live in the 20th century, this is 2013 and you have to get on with the times. I don't think you can actually read english because from what I can tell, I believe I wrote that Arencibia had a great season in AAA pacific coast league where everyone is hitting like it's Coors Field at the age of 24. D'arnaud matched that production at the age of 21 and on top of that is renowned as a great defensive catcher. But then again, you'll probably skim past this sentence and twist it into something else. You do understand that a 21 year old hitting as well as a 24 year old in the same league with better defense is a more valuable player right?

I don't know what world you live in but the Mets wanted D'arnaud in any deal, not Arencibia and even now with D'arnaud injured and Arencibia hitting homers and striking out a third of his at bats, I would want D'arnaud.

I know you love using anecdotes to back up your assumptions but here's some links with facts and statements
                              Note here "Travis d'Arnaud was a "must have" during the winter meetings for a deal with the Blue Jays to happen, sources tell Andy Martino of the Daily News "
                              And here "The Mets also are expected to acquire either J.P. Arencibia or Travis d’Arnaud. However, the Blue Jays are looking to get more out of the deal if they surrender d'Arnaud."

Here
                              "Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com says the two sides have agreed that d'Arnaud can be the centerpiece of the trade after the Mets rejected a Gose/J.P. Arencibia package"

I think it's pretty clear that everyone wanted D'arnaud over Arencibia. I like how you resort to name-calling and verbal abuse rather than present facts and statements in an argument. And before you tell me that Arencibia is a better catcher because he drives in runs and is a natural leader, just save it and actually look at his numbers. Good looks and clubhouse chemistry don't win ball-games, getting on base, being a good defensive catcher and doing something other than hit home runs and striking out does.
                              The verbal abuse clearly started with you and your disrespectful posts.
                              Clearly. Do I need to quote you from this thread ? I can illustrate this very easily. And I don't accept it. If you take that tone with me I'll take the same tact and treat you accordingly. You want a nicer conversation then recognize that there are others with equal or stronger interest in baseball that have been following it for decades.

I think what you are saying really is you lack the listening skills to discuss baseball with anyone other then casual fans. Ok, fine, I'm out.
                              If you think you can only lean on the last decade for information you might as well join the Pacey bandwagon that the Jays never win and don't develop good players. Because Jays haven't had a strong record the last decade, but were pretty darn good most of the rest of their history.
                              Last edited by Duncan Smith; Thursday, 16th May, 2013, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                                Ok, fine, I'm out.
                                TTFN. (Ta Ta For Now)
                                Last edited by Gary Ruben; Friday, 17th May, 2013, 12:03 AM.
                                Gary Ruben
                                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                                X