Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re : Re: 2013 CYCC and Canadian Open: Official Website

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
    With 4 players tied for 1st in the U12b and U14b a 7th round is the best way to determine the Canadian representative to WYCC. Are the playoffs round-robin tournaments? What time control will be used?
    Maybe a governor will introduce a motion to make CYCC a 7 rounds tournament from next year.
    Motions that give more constraints to the organizers are not much popular. It's up to every organizer to decide how many rounds he wishes to have. On one hand, one can argue that there are so many tie-breaks that one more round would have been useful, but on the other hand, the tournament is pretty successful with 6 rounds.
    The only bid for 2014 has 7 rounds though.

Comment

• Re: 2013 CYCC and Canadian Open: Official Website

Maybe a governor will introduce a motion to make CYCC a 7 rounds tournament from next year.
      It is probably too late for 2014. There is a bid already presented. (though with 7 rounds), and one in preparation (not sure if it is CYCC+CO).

However, with such increase in participation, the round number should go to 9, and the length of the tournament should be longer - less stressful (not like 3 days in a row of 2 rounds :/ + more time to look around. (the tournament should be held in touristic cities too) + more experience gain at all levels (not only to get the winner and 2-3 places)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
        with such increase in participation, the round number should go to 9, and the length of the tournament should be longer - less stressful (not like 3 days in a row of 2 rounds :/ + more time to look around.
        It might be good to survey the parents of the families who came to this year's CYCC before committing families of players in future CYCCs to the expense of several more nights in hotels and restaurant meals and days off work (etc), for a longer event.

A 9 round event with a day or two of one-round-a-day would take a week, rather than 3-1/2 days. I can't speak for the parents who'd have to pay for the extra expenses required by a longer event, but it might be that many of the families whose participation made the 2013 CYCC a record turn-out would not have attended if their costs had been doubled.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
          It might be good to survey the parents of the families who came to this year's CYCC before committing families of players in future CYCCs to the expense of several more nights in hotels and restaurant meals and days off work (etc), for a longer event.

A 9 round event with a day or two of one-round-a-day would take a week, rather than 3-1/2 days. I can't speak for the parents who'd have to pay for the extra expenses required by a longer event, but it might be that many of the families whose participation made the 2013 CYCC a record turn-out would not have attended if their costs had been doubled.
          I understand that numbers are required to send reps to the World's. But seriously, how many of those 27x players had even a 1% hope of finishing in the top three in their respective sections? 30%? Fewer?

The tournament is getting bigger; the rounds are getting fewer. The results are going to become more random. Great if you are someone with small chances to win, but not so pleasant if you are one of the favourites.

Don't survey all the participants. Survey the ones who are likely to win/place/show in the tournament, considering that a smaller tournament increases their winning chances but increases both their CYCC costs as well as potentially their WYCC costs.
          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

With 4 players tied for 1st in the U12b and U14b a 7th round is the best way to determine the Canadian representative to WYCC. Are the playoffs round-robin tournaments? What time control will be used?
            Rene, I believe 4 sections ended up with a 4-way tie for first place: Boys U12, U14, and U16. I believe the playoffs were done as semi-finals and finals (and 3rd-4th playoff), with time control of 20 minutes with 10 second delay. One of the organizers should be able to give a definitive answer.

I support having the CYCC as a 7 round tournament (except in special cases / sections of fewer than 8 players, when combining sections is not practical, e.g. U14 and U18 girls).

Comment

Kudos to the organizers of the Canadian Open you are doing an awesome job and are super busy. I just saw the round 5 games posted and they added even more of a thrill to my day. Aman surviving nicely GM Bruzon's 11...Nxe4 tactical trick, Richard Wang's nice endgame subtleties against GM Arencibia. Congrats! - what a scalp! GM Sokolov's elegant refutation of Black's coffeehouse opening, GM Sambuev's king going for a forced walk - I dont think Ive seen that before - eyepopping! and last and best GM Eric with a save against the legendary Nigel Short! (who didnt give up a draw easily). Congratulations!

Comment

Working...
              X