Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC RFP: Executive Director Contract

CFC RFP: Executive Director
    The Chess Federation of Canada (CFC) seeks an Executive Director to oversee general administration of the organization. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:

- Serving as a resource to the executive in ensuring timely transmittance of communications and official documents, to both the governorship and membership, on the federation's website and, from time to time, within the federation's forums;
    - Official communication with provincial affiliates, as required, especially as pertains to informing them of governor allocations;
    - Coordinating annual updates to signing authority on the federation's bank account;
    - Amending the Handbook in a timely fashion, whenever resolutions adopted by the assembly call for changes;
    - Primary responsibility for maintaining the federation's relationship with FIDE, including the prompt payment of invoices, efficient submission of FIDE-rated events, and mailing FIDE materials as they are received by the federation;
    - Distribution of advertising for national championships, on behalf of event organizers;
    - Registration of Canadian participants in international events;
    - Maintenance of the federation's financial records, preferably through proficient use of QuickBooks;
    - Filing annual tax and information returns;
    - Consistent updates of the federation's website, including club listings, historical information, etc.;
    - Processing orders in conjunction with the federation's books and equipment vendor;
    - Updating the membership database daily, while also backing it up daily.

The successful applicant is assumed to possess the skills necessary to carry out these duties, including proficiency in HTML, the use of Microsoft Office software applications (Excel, Word, Access, Outlook), the use of QuickBooks and, above all, excellent people skills from both a customer service and employee-to-management perspective. Terms and conditions are negotiable. The term is set to begin on May 1, 2013. Those interested in submitting an application, please do so immediately (no later than Mach 15, 2013), by submitting your email and RFP to: Mark S. Dutton, CFC President, at president@chess.ca.

Re : CFC RFP: Executive Director Contract

Has Mr. Litchfield resigned, or is the RFP going out every 2 years or so?
    Also, by curiosity, is this a full-time job and does the CFC expect the executive director to do all this from home?

Comment

Re: Re : CFC RFP: Executive Director Contract

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
      Has Mr. Litchfield resigned, or is the RFP going out every 2 years or so?
      Also, by curiosity, is this a full-time job and does the CFC expect the executive director to do all this from home?
      The RFP expires on May 1, and a decision was made to put an RFP forward. Just to make it clear, the contract is with a company that Gerry is employed by. He is not a CFC employee. He was invited to re-apply.

Estimates have been put on Gerry's time and it it close to full-time. He provides his own office space. It could be located anywhere in the country.

Comment

Re: CFC RFP: Executive Director Contract

On another thread Larry asked about conditions of the contracts not specifying them.

While I don't care to go into the current contract details, I can say it is based on membership levels, rating fees collected, and sales (these constitute measurable business activities) above or below a base level.

From the CFC website:
        2012 Fiscal Year - $46,765
        2011 Fiscal Year - $44,119

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
          While I don't care to go into the current contract details, I can say it is based on membership levels, rating fees collected, and sales (these constitute measurable business activities) above or below a base level.

From the CFC website:
          2012 Fiscal Year - $46,765
          2011 Fiscal Year - $44,119
          There is a competent Executive Director working full time for such a small amount of money and he has to fill in a RFP. If it were me, I'd ask for $55.000. base to see how badly I was wanted. The pay increase would help me feel the love.

A long time ago I learned that when I replaced someone in a chess position it was best if I knew how to do the job myself. Often a change didn't work out and I ended up having to either catch up what wasn't done or fix what was.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
            There is a competent Executive Director working full time for such a small amount of money and he has to fill in a RFP. If it were me, I'd ask for $55.000. base to see how badly I was wanted. The pay increase would help me feel the love.

A long time ago I learned that when I replaced someone in a chess position it was best if I knew how to do the job myself. Often a change didn't work out and I ended up having to either catch up what wasn't done or fix what was.

The CFC is very lucky to have Gerry!

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
              The CFC is very lucky to have Gerry!
              I whole heartedly agree! He is not only efficient, but professional and courteous in all the dealings I had with him. I certainly hope he continues on with CFC as he would be hard to replace.

Comment

There seems to be no reference to maintaining the rating system in these terms of reference. This is an extremely important aspect of the E.D.'s job.
                Paul Leblanc
                Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
                  There seems to be no reference to maintaining the rating system in these terms of reference. This is an extremely important aspect of the E.D.'s job.
                  We will collect any missing job functions and issue them as an addendum to the bidders.

Thanks for noticing this Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
                    I noticed that as well.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                      We will collect any missing job functions and issue them as an addendum to the bidders.

Thanks for noticing this Paul.
                      Technically the ratings are part of maintaining the membership database, but that might not be transparent to everybody.

Comment

For CFC Governors who don't visit the CFC Discussion Board that frequently, there is currently a flurry of postings on the CFC Governors Private Forum.
                        Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                        Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

The discussion is quite interesting.

Comment

Is that a bonus?
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                            X