Paul Keres in Toronto, 1975

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paul Keres in Toronto, 1975

'The Chess Mind' today features a "fun fact" from Paul Keres 1959 Candidates tournament. He went an astounding plus 10 with Black and minus 1 with White!

http://www.thechessmind.net/blog/201...f-the-day.html
    Last edited by Jack Maguire; Tuesday, 19th May, 2015, 08:37 PM.

Comment

I recall the 1975 simultaneous that Paul Keres conducted at the Hamilton City Chess Club (arguably the strongest club in Canada at the time - feel free to argue :)) - as i recall Frank Pushkedra and a junior player from Burlington won with a a few draws - we were extremely impressed with GM Keres' rapid pace, and the fact he was playing the best we had...masters, IMs, and under-rated players, and always provided post mortem commentary. I lost to GM Keres after refusing his draw offer in a complicated bishops of opposite color ending, where in the post mortem he generously offered it reminded him of an ending he had versus Alekhine...regardless, an impressive person, player and performance.

Brian

Comment

40 years later we celebrated Keres' visit to Vancouver. Another big win for Jason Cao.
        http://www.bcchesshistory.com/
        Paul Leblanc
        Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Paul Keres in Toronto, 1975

September 16, 2018

Chess historian Olimpiu G. Urcan has a service where you can pay monthly to have bits of his historical research e-mailed to you. The following is his latest and has a lovely miniature by Paul Keres that I enjoyed immensely:

A Keres Miniature

In the summer of 1975, Paul Keres spent some time in Canada training some of the country's top players for the 1976 Chess Olympiad. On May 4 he gave a 30-board simultaneous exhibition in Ottawa (+ 28 - 1 = 1), his only loss being registered at the hands of Bryan Schwartz, an 18-year-old player. Page 3 of the May 5, 1975 issue of the Ottawa Journal noted the following:

...before the start, he [Keres] remarked the weather was "nice" for chess. It was drizzling. "I hope you will beat me and I wish you all good luck," he told the players. When presented with a six-pound tin of pure maple syrup by an official of the Ottawa Chess Club, Mr. Keres laughingly characterized it as "Canadian vodka."

One of Keres' best games from this particular exhibition was given a year later, on page 99 of the May 29, 1976 issue of Ottawa's Saturday Citizen. The 21-move miniature, attached herewith, featured an elegant queen sacrifice in an opening that started with 1.e4 d6 2.d4 g6 3.h4!?.

Simultaneous Exhibition Ottawa, May 4, 1975
          Keres, Paul – Kirstein, Larry
          B06 Robatsch Defence

1.e4 d6 2.d4 g6 3.h4 Bg7 4.h5 e5 5.dxe5 Bxe5 6.Nf3 Bg4 7.hxg6 hxg6 8.Nxe5 Bxd1 9.Rxh8 Ke7 10.Nxf7 Kxf7 11.Bc4+ Kf6 12.Rxg8 Qe7 13.Nc3 c6 14.Bh6 Qh7 15.Rf8+ Ke5 16.Rxd1 Qxh6 17.f4+ Qxf4 18.Rxf4 Kxf4 19.Rxd6 Na6 20.Bxa6 bxa6 21.Rxg6 1-0

Position after Black’s 14….Qh7

15.e5+ is a nice alternative

Comment

3.h4 The way I used to attack but the great grandmaster can vary his style from board to board in a simul. 8.Nxe5 attack with tempo (if 8...Rxh1, 9.Nxg4 and 2B's for a rook) 10.Nxf7 tactical vision leads to fun. 13.Nc3 grandmaster tempo! 14.Bh6 elegant - the rest of us would take on d1 and have 3 pieces for the queen. The rest is humorous.

Comment

- was not Hart House chess club photo..
              I was there (I am at there far right back standing up with only my nose, forehead and light hair showing)
              yonge /Adelaide improvised simul site.
              Bryon Nickiloff was playing (out of photo range)
              I had encountered Bryan Bryan walking S on Yonge with possibly Lawrence Day and asked where they were headed so I joined him and was a spectator. I thought Keres was about 62 (was 59) and look suave and in good shape for an "old guy".

Comment

It's nice to see this thread pop up again after many years' absence.

The original photo must be Hart House. This recent photo shows the same coat of arms, the same statue, and the same lighting. Defrocked of Royalty - it might not be the same room - but it's Hart House.

https://www.facebook.com/Hart-House-...58357379139390

Comment

You are right Mr Hugh Brodie. I stand corrected . The event where I attended as a spectator and met Bryon Nickololff on his way to Yonge Adelaide improvised simul.with 10-20 Toronto masters in May 75 as left without any photo evidence perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Kazdan View Post
                    You are right Mr Hugh Brodie. I stand corrected . The event where I attended as a spectator and met Bryon Nickololff on his way to Yonge Adelaide improvised simul.with 10-20 Toronto masters in May 75 as left without any photo evidence perhaps?
                    Nice to know you are still around Charles! I remember you from my old days at the Central Y in Toronto.

Comment

Wow, ashamed to say that even though I have his complete games I never really took a look at Paul Keres style of play. Just spent the last couple of hours going through some of his games ... sensational stuff :))))

Comment

GM Paul Keres' 1972 ARCO Edition 'Grandmaster of Chess' book, written by Keres himself, is the equal of anything I have seen, when it comes to annotated games, detail, and stories. It is in descriptive notation, which is somewhat annoying; but is worth the trouble! The book covers his career up to 1962, and contains 80 games annotated in great detail. It is a combination of three previously issued books, covering his early years, middle years, and later years. There are other books covering his career 1963-75; Keres still attained some significant successes in the last part of his career, despite failing health. His last win in a tournament game was against GM Walter Browne at Vancouver 1975, in the final round, from the Black side of a Spanish, clinching his tournament victory there! I think the ARCO book cost me $3 in 1974; it is well-used but still is decent condition! My particular favourite is Keres vs Botvinnik, final round, World Championship Tournament, Moscow 1948, after Botvinnik had already clinched first place and the title of world champion. Keres administers a thorough drubbing to the new champion!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
                          GM Paul Keres' 1972 ARCO Edition 'Grandmaster of Chess' book, written by Keres himself, is the equal of anything I have seen, when it comes to annotated games, detail, and stories. It is in descriptive notation, which is somewhat annoying; but is worth the trouble! The book covers his career up to 1962, and contains 80 games annotated in great detail. It is a combination of three previously issued books, covering his early years, middle years, and later years. There are other books covering his career 1963-75; Keres still attained some significant successes in the last part of his career, despite failing health. His last win in a tournament game was against GM Walter Browne at Vancouver 1975, in the final round, from the Black side of a Spanish, clinching his tournament victory there! I think the ARCO book cost me $3 in 1974; it is well-used but still is decent condition! My particular favourite is Keres vs Botvinnik, final round, World Championship Tournament, Moscow 1948, after Botvinnik had already clinched first place and the title of world champion. Keres administers a thorough drubbing to the new champion!!!
                          Hi Frank. I also love that Arco book. I bought my copy for $3 too, but in 2014 (!) at a used book store on Main St. in Hamilton. On that same shopping trip I bought the original Simon & Schuster edition of My 60 Memorable Games ($18), and a copy of Smyslov's In Search of Harmony (in Russian; $7). I was a happy camper that day!!
                          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                            It's nice to see this thread pop up again after many years' absence.

The original photo must be Hart House. This recent photo shows the same coat of arms, the same statue, and the same lighting. Defrocked of Royalty - it might not be the same room - but it's Hart House.

https://www.facebook.com/Hart-House-...58357379139390
                            The Debates Room in Hart House. I ran the chess club across the hall for 5 years, so I should remember. Creaky floors and dim lighting, but they did make improvements over the years. Also, they had some very famous people debating in that room. In 1957, a young senator named John F. Kennedy argued the proposition that the United States had not failed in its role as a world leader. His side won the debate, but barely.

Comment

Ian, thanks so much for the fascinating detail on JFK's 1957 appearance at Hart House! Do you know any more about that event, and the people who were debating? JFK was a senator from Massachusetts at that time, and had narrowly lost the Democratic nomination for Vice President at the 1956 convention.

Comment

Working...
                              X