• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2013 North American Youth Championship

Originally posted by Francis Rodriguez View Post
    The suspense builds......

I should have the website built by this weekend, when all
    will be revealed - registration, categories, titles achievable,
    facilities, promotions, etc.....and....it's open to all (N. Americans!)

A teaser -

A $20 Strategy Games gift-certificate to the first name drawn, to
    correctly predict the name of the venue, by Sunday midnite 7 April!

Hint -
    The name is very chess-like!

Francis
    How about at least revealing the dates ?! or did I miss that ?

Comment

Fred, the first posting in this thread talks about "NAYCC in Toronto from Aug 15-18", unless there has been a decision to change the dates.

Comment

Originally posted by igor Sirkovich View Post
        fred, The First Posting In This Thread Talks About "naycc In Toronto From Aug 15-18", Unless There Has Been A Decision To Change The Dates.
        Oops !!!!!!!!

Comment

in case you're accepting multiple (silly) guesses for "chess-themed" places in TO:
          • la Tour CN
          • Castle-loma
          • a nice B'N'B

If not, then I'll guess the King Edward Hotel
          Last edited by John Upper; Sunday, 7th April, 2013, 08:06 PM. Reason: more guesses!!

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
            in case you're accepting multiple (silly) guesses for "chess-themed" places in TO:
            • la Tour CN
            • Castle-loma
            • a nice B'N'B

If not, then I'll guess the King Edward Hotel
            Yes, March, April, and May are the crazy season at Chess'n Math with regards to scholastic stuff.

The official flyer will be out in the next few days.

The event runs from Aug 15-18, 2013 at the Chestnut Residence & Conference Centre in downtown Toronto. It will be a 7-round swiss with winners qualifying for the 2014 Pan-Am.

IMPORTANT: The event is open to all players living in North America!

We expect a record turn-out!

FRANCIS WILL UPDATE US SHORTLY :)

Larry

Comment

Larry,

How come you guys didn't organize events like this and the Canadian Junior back when I was a kid? I feel totally jipped
              Shameless self-promotion on display here
              http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                Larry,

How come you guys didn't organize events like this and the Canadian Junior back when I was a kid? I feel totally jipped
                Hi Bindi,

We had many programs in place over the last 3 decades. We have spent well over $300,000 on these special projects. We hosted CMA Futurities, we had a bursary program which was great for many talented youngsters, we sponsored many youngsters to International events and we have taken kids on trips to chess events outside the country.

We went through a period where our finances were strained and so we had to cut back.

Now, mainly thanks to the incredible efforts of Francis Rodrigues in Toronto, we are on top of things again....and we are giving back to the chess community...with great pleasure!

We thank all those who make Chess'n Math their source for chess books & equipment...you make this all possible!

We have an agreement with the Chess Federation of Canada beginning May 1, 2013...where we become the official supplier of chess books & equipment for the CFC and their members! We are extremely happy to be associated with the CFC in this project which we trust will be win-win.

Go to www.strategygames.ca and buy for more than $35...if you do that in the next 48 hours...we will give you a $10 gift certificate which you can use on your next purchase :)

Larry

Comment

Larry, I expect that you and Francis will put on a kick-ass event! A mutual youth chess friend from New York was asking me about it the other day, and I promised to send her more details when they're announced. Could you use any other multilingual arbiters?! :)

Comment

do you have the website URL or is it still being worked on? thx
                    don lee

I should have the website built by this weekend, when all
                    will be revealed - registration, categories, titles achievable,
                    facilities, promotions, etc.....and....it's open to all (N. Americans!)

A teaser -

Hint -
                    The name is very chess-like!

Francis

Comment

Originally posted by emEM View Post
                      do you have the website URL or is it still being worked on? thx
                      don lee
                      Hi Don.

Please register on this site with your real name.

We were all set to do this event. I assumed it was under the same terms and conditions as in in 2010 when we did the event in Montreal. In 2010 we lost $4,000 on the event but we were happy to bring this tournament to Canada for the first time. When we were solicited to do the tournament in 2013 no one told me that FIDE America now charges organizers for the privelege to lose money. Apparently Hal Bond included this minor detail in an attachment that he sent me on March 15 ...we are looking at a FIDE America tax grab of around $5,000....hmmm

Larry

Comment

Re : Re: 2013 North American Youth Championship

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                        Hi Don.

Please register on this site with your real name.

We were all set to do this event. I assumed it was under the same terms and conditions as in in 2010 when we did the event in Montreal. In 2010 we lost $4,000 on the event but we were happy to bring this tournament to Canada for the first time. When we were solicited to do the tournament in 2013 no one told me that FIDE America now charges organizers for the privelege to lose money. Apparently Hal Bond included this minor detail in an attachment that he sent me on March 15 ...we are looking at a FIDE America tax grab of around $5,000....hmmm

Larry
                        Wow. Really, $5000? Does this mean the 2013 NAYCC will not take place in Canada? :(

Comment

Hopefully not Felix!

FIDE America charges $15 per player to to run the NAYCC. This fee was not in place 3 years ago. It is frustrating trying to keep up with the changes to regulations and their various impacts.

I am hopeful that CMA can incorporate these costs into the entry fee, which to my knowledge has not been set.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                            FIDE America charges $15 per player to to run the NAYCC.
                            What the eff is "FIDE America" when it's at home? It seems the curse of Kirsan is getting closer and closer.

Comment

FIDE is broken down into 4 "Continents" - Europe, Asia, Africa and the Americas. This includes North, Central and South America, as well as the Caribbean. Each of these Continents tries to run a similar/parallel program to the FIDE Calendar.

It has been this way for as long as I can remember - nothing to do with Kirsan.

Comment

This is the sort of event that FIDE should be sponsoring - not milking for money!
                                This crap will only end when Federations begin withdrawing from FIDE.

Comment

Working...
                                X