• Show
Clear All

• How to become a CFC governor?

There's some motions I would love to vote against on :P
    Shameless self-promotion on display here
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Re: How to become a CFC governor?

to your subj.
    As you are from GTA area (I assume it is still valid), come to the GTCL AGM and you might be elected (more chances that you will be acclaimed LOL

As to your message.
    Which ones are you not happy?

Comment

I think there are only really two motions and then another one seeking guidance for crafting a motion for the AGM.

Comment

Re : How to become a CFC governor?

Another good way to become a governor would be to win the Canadian closed :D

If you want to express yourself, I would suggest to write to one your area representatives. If you can add something new to the discussion, I imagine he (or she) would be glad to share your suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
          There's some motions I would love to vote against on :P
          I will not seek a governor position, however, if gifted one I would serve. They could use the benefit of my experience, such as it is. :)
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            to your subj.
            As you are from GTA area (I assume it is still valid), come to the GTCL AGM and you might be elected (more chances that you will be acclaimed LOL

As to your message.
            Which ones are you not happy?
            When's the GTCL AGM and where is it?

Well, the National WCM title suggestion is ridiculous... as if WCM isn't an embarrassing title already.

And of course, the national coach suggestion. In what universe does giving one person a near monopoly on chess coaching in Canada a good idea to pass? I mean if it was someone good like Wesley So, I wouldn't care but it's pretty clear that the motion is intended to be given to Edward Porper as a full-time job and he is in no way better than the rest of us coaches.

Comment

Well, the National WCM title suggestion is ridiculous... as if WCM isn't an embarrassing title already.

And of course, the national coach suggestion. In what universe does giving one person a near monopoly on chess coaching in Canada a good idea to pass? I mean if it was someone good like Wesley So, I wouldn't care but it's pretty clear that the motion is intended to be given to Edward Porper as a full-time job and he is in no way better than the rest of us coaches.
              GTCL AGM - April 20. Details at
              http://www.torontochess.org/drupal/b...eneral_meeting
              or
              http://chesstalk.info/forum/showthread.php?t=8698

Regarding motions:
              Women titles - a delicate issue. I'm too biased being a man LOL Would titles detract women from playing? Probably not. Thus, I'll support the motion.

National Youth Coach - an idea is interesting, an implementation not. No support.

Comment

Considering that the CFC officially recognizes class E titles, maybe you are being overly mysogynistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                  Considering that the CFC officially recognizes class E titles, maybe you are being overly mysogynistic.
                  I think the real question is, has anyone ever applied for a Class E title? A realist I am, a misogynist I am not.

Comment

The CFC does have a Master's Rep but I don't think that this position has been used effectively as a force for masters.

I think that there should be an email discussion group among titled masters and proposals presented to the CFC by the Master's Rep. As well, the Masters' rep could distribute tournament invites, and players could make suggestions to Canadian organizer's on how to make better tournaments that would attract these master players. An organizer/teacher/sponsor looking for a simul player or master coach could quickly be put in contact with available masters.

Comment

Re : How to become a CFC governor?

I talked with some women, and none seemed to believe the National WCM was a good idea...

I am also afraid of the lost of prestige associated to the title. Being a master used to be prestigious, and nowadays (with inflation) it is getting more and more easy to get the title... So looking at how easy it would be for women to have a national WCM (or master) title, I'm afraid it wouldn't mean anything anymore... And some women might simply stop playing once they get a title (as it often happens).

Regarding the coach title, I would have really liked a complete proposal. Here's what I said on the governor's forum :
                      There are the possible advantages to a national coaching project :

1) Parents could save costs

2) Players would significantly improve

3) The CFC would save costs

4) It would increase the visibility of the CFC and attract sponsors

5) It would develop strong links between players

Unfortunately, the actual proposition doesn't fulfil any of the previous points. Young players already have private coaches, for about that amount (and not on Skype). Should the program be fully funded by sponsors, and participants able to receive lessons from an IM for pretty much nothing, then yes it would be interesting. Otherwise, I don' see the advantage.

If we had a complete proposal with the detailed program, then we might see why it would be better than the kids having their own teachers. But without it, there's absolutely no way we can vote for it.

Comment

You're running to represent the opinion of CFC members in your area? Or are you are running to represent your own opinion only, but loudly? Although a CFC governor that actually does vote would be a novelty in and of itself.

Comment

Re: Re : How to become a CFC governor?

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                          Another good way to become a governor would be to win the Canadian closed :D
                          He could also run for master's representative at a Canadian Closed or be the runner up so in effect there are three positions open at the Canadian Closed.

Comment

Re: Re : How to become a CFC governor?

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                            I talked with some women, and none seemed to believe the National WCM was a good idea...
                            Were they chessplayers?

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                              The CFC does have a Master's Rep but I don't think that this position has been used effectively as a force for masters.

I think that there should be an email discussion group among titled masters and proposals presented to the CFC by the Master's Rep. As well, the Masters' rep could distribute tournament invites, and players could make suggestions to Canadian organizer's on how to make better tournaments that would attract these master players. An organizer/teacher/sponsor looking for a simul player or master coach could quickly be put in contact with available masters.
                              I'd be happy to set up a Masters Discussion area on the CFC forum as well, if that was something that was wanted.
                              Christopher Mallon
                              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Working...
                              X