Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pacey Jays Call - Mega Mistake ?

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
    When the Jays last appeared in the post season (and also happened to win the world series) - 20 years ago (!) - they had so much great talent that an injury curse (if it applied back then) didn't matter so much. I also continue to wonder if any of the concrete under the astroturf at SkyDome has been tested since my old asphalt and soils testing lab workplace in Bramalea did that back in 1988 (not that I was involved). Not only that, maybe astroturf wearing out is a possible factor.
    New $1 million Astroturf in 2010.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseba...etic_turf.html

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
      The Leafs will not even make the playoffs, now that the season will go the full schedule. Their last minute collapse against the Bruins in the spring convinced me they still have not lost their amazingly consistent (and heartbreaking) talent for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. I'm still glad I angrily dumped them as my team after 40+ years as a fan.

The Senators, my second choice as a favourite team to root for, are doomed to go nowhere without Alfredsson, though they may just make the playoffs.

My favourite team to root for nowadays, the Canadiens (aka the Smurfs) will hopefully have a better physical prescence, assuming they pick up some bigger players. They will make the playoffs regardless.

I'll also throw in that New Jersey is bound for Hades again, as far as any post season appearance goes.
      Leafs are a really well put together team with several young guys in the right time frame to do well but not destroy the cap. Their GM
      seems quite intelligent in his choices so far. Tougher division but I still think they make playoffs. Losing Alfredsson doesn't hurt the Senators,
      he's well past prime time; what is interesting is they are 12M under the modest salary cap which may hurt them if they are sticking to that
      budget. Otherwise have to like their team as well given how they played with injuries last season. Their division has 5 potentially strong teams so the two wild cards may be won; however, if I had to pick two teams that are widely touted but might struggle at times I'd say Detroit ( a fairly old team ) and Montreal. Parity with a modest salary cap makes determining the actual results amongst these teams very difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
        Another point. the Jays still have problems at catcher. They finally moved Thole in as Dickey's regular catcher, which is good. I'd like to see them get a good veteran catcher to catch the rest of the staff. Strictly beside what I might think of how Arencibia calls a game, on the road he's hitting around a buck fifty for the season. .150 isn't much.

A management shakeup might not be a bad thing.
        They gave Arencebia a shot and he failed. Became an even worse version of himself at an age when one might expect at least some modest improvement if not more ( I question his approach to getting better ). So my own opinion has changed considerably on him. I think the Jays need to release/trade Arencebia, Gibbons, Johnson, and maybe Lind ( depends on who they acquire; I'd prefer to drop Cabrera but he's guaranteed ). That would give them a firmer base for possible success and I do believe they'll add 2 to 3 significant players in the off season. If the free agent market doesn't get the job done they may trade Bautista for a premium starting pitcher.

Lawrie should be star caliber next season, Dickey should be a little bit better. How they do will depend heavily on their acquisitions ( at CA/SP/LF ) and whether from Morrow/Stroman/etc a reliable starter emerges.

Comment

Yes. Some of that kind of tinkering with the roster will likely help. Starting pitching needs some attention as well as a catcher.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
          X