2013 CYCC Champions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Posting of Rd. 6 Standings?

Originally posted by Roman Sarrazin Gendron View Post
    We (at the FQE) did receive complaints from people who didn't know who finished third in the U18 section. Nikita was announced as the winner on the website, and many people left thinking this was the final result. However, during the closing ceremony, it was announced that Constantin Semianuk was the winner. Now, as Felix pointed out, the organizers of the 2013 CYCC went to see the Quebec team (leaded by their coach FM Hua) and told them that there was a mistake and that David Itkin is the winner. As of now, we still don't know who finished third.
    You mentioned "who finished third" and then later on you talk about "the winner" and then finally, you say "we still don't know who finished third"... ??
    I would have to guess that by "the winner" you must mean "the winner of 3rd place"?
    I realize that English may not be your first language, but this was all quite confusing.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Posting of Rd. 6 Standings?

Sorry. I felt it was pretty clear because the only issue about the U18 was the 3rd place tie-break. I guess adding a couple words never hurts. I cleaned up my message a little, but I can't do much more than that ; the situation itself is very confusing.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Posting of Rd. 6 Standings?

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
        Finally (for now), thanks to David Itkin and Andrew Giblon for their posts. I was present at the event, and can confirm their confirmations, 100%
        I'd been advised a few days ago on this "not to go into a pissing contest with a skunk". I'd normally take that person's advice about such things, but doing nothing doesn't make the smell go away. I was hoping someone else would help correct some of BS that's appeared here, and two people did! Thanks for the fresh air. ;)
        You are insulting and ridiculous. The reason I keep insisting is because I ask simple questions, yet do not receive any answer. Who finished third (The answer is only two words long), where did the profit go... By not answering, the organizers are not only insulting to me, but to all the players who are waiting for the answer.

At least, we can see this is definitely too much to handle for you John Upper. I hope you don't plan to be involved in any major tournament soon.

Thanks to Roman who also received the same emails as me from players and parents waiting to know who finished third (and are still waiting).

Comment

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
          The reason I keep insisting is because I ask simple questions, yet do not receive any answer. Who finished third (The answer is only two words long),
          Felix, from my reading of the replies, it is quite clear to me.
          U18 Open - 3rd place on tiebreaker, winner is Konstantin Semianiuk

John Upper confirmed this is his previous post when he thanked David & Andrew for their posts.
          As well, the crosstable on the CYCC website clearly shows that as well.

Why is everyone confused? Probably nobody can hear the answer over all the shouting!
          Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Monday, 15th July, 2013, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Posting of Rd. 6 Standings?

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
            Amount of wins could be a reasonable tie-breaker in round-robin, but not in swiss.
            really? In a round robin, the one with the greatest number of wins is also the one with the greatest number of losses.....

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
              Good question, and let's not fool ourselves, there is no single answer that is going to be absolutely fair in all scenarios. In the scenario you're talking about, which because of the rating differences I'd assume comes from one big Open section such as the Canadian Open, one could argue that drawing against two masters counts for a lot. And it will -- in rating points gained. Now, the player who beat the 1600, maybe s/he lost to a master or even above. So rating-wise, it will show that Player A who drew the 2 masters outperformed Player B who lost to the 1600.

But performance and fairness isn't what I'm suggesting is most important here. How do we know that Player A's two draws against masters weren't agreed after just a handful of moves? Maybe there could be some formula that takes into accout how many moves were played: a 68-move draw is much more likely to have been a fighting draw than a 20-move draw. And fighting draws are to be commended, it's possible both players took chances and just couldn't get a decisive edge.

But in the absence of such a formula, we want something that rewards fighting chess. And generally speaking, more wins and losses and less draws means a more fighting and daring / creative approach was taken. There are always exceptions, but one tiebreak formula can't account for all exceptions.

Hikaru Nakamura is a good example of this at the top level. He has more wins and losses and less draws than most elite players, percentage wise. And if you look at his games, you can see why. His games are among the most entertaining of all elite players. He takes chances.

A good analogy to this would be in baseball: even if you don't like watching baseball, but let's say you're somewhere and you don't have a choice, everyone's watching baseball. Would you rather watch two teams that each have hitters that hit for power (lots of doubles, triples, home runs) but also strike out a lot, or would you prefer to watch two teams in which almost nobody hits for power, 90% of their hits are singles, and they hardly ever strike out? After a while, you would likely get tired of seeing single after single. Personally, I don't find baseball exciting under either scenario, but I would think watching the power hitting teams would be most exciting even if it was overall not very exciting.

So getting back to chess, my main point is that if everybody knows in advance that most wins decides tiebreaks, then they will psychologically make an effort to play more daring and exciting chess. I think we can all agree that is what chess needs more of. So by using that tiebreak, even at young ages, we encourage players to play chess with spunk and courage and creative daring.

Computer engines have little to no concept of this, they simply calculate best move by numeric values and aren't programmed to play "exciting" chess. So if humans can't beat them, they can at least produce more dramatic games.
              The most wins may be an adequate tiebreak system for some tournaments, but for the CYCC, playoffs or sonnen-berger tiebreaks are much more reasonable

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Posting of Rd. 6 Standings?

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                Felix, from my reading of the replies, it is quite clear to me.
                U18 Open - 3rd place on tiebreaker, winner is Konstantin Semianiuk

John Upper confirmed this is his previous post when he thanked David & Andrew for their posts.
                As well, the crosstable on the CYCC website clearly shows that as well.

Why is everyone confused? Probably nobody can hear the answer over all the shouting!
                The closest answer we got is that :
                I see that Konstantin Semianiuk had 3 wins, and the other players who tied with 3.5/6 all had two wins.

If the "most wins" tie-break was used, then Konstantin should be the winner.
                Now it does seem that Konstantin is the winner of the tiebreaks, but there still hasn't be any official confirmation. After all, three people were announced as the winners of the tie-breaks at different moments. It would take 2 minutes to do an official list of the top 3 players for every section.

I wanted to post the results of the CYCC on the Newsfeed, but for that we need the official list of winners... Even it would not be what we could really call timely news.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Posting of Rd. 6 Standings?

Sorry. I felt it was pretty clear because the only issue about the U18 was the 3rd place tie-break. I guess adding a couple words never hurts. I cleaned up my message a little, but I can't do much more than that ; the situation itself is very confusing.
                  Thanks! (I didn't intend to be harsh - I just thought a little clarification was worth it). Merci encore.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                    really? In a round robin, the one with the greatest number of wins is also the one with the greatest number of losses.....
                    If a player wins a 4 player RR with 3-0, how does that player have the most losses? Sorry, I can't follow your statement.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Posting of Rd. 6 Standings?

He means that in a Round Robin tie-break, if two players have the same score, the one who has more wins also has more losses (they wouldn't share the same score otherwise)

Comment

He means that in a Round Robin tie-break, if two players have the same score, the one who has more wins also has more losses (they wouldn't share the same score otherwise)

This is hilarious! Kerry's literal interpretation of Roger's incomplete statement was priceless!

It doesn't matter if it's RR or Swiss, if players are tied with equal number of games and one player has more wins than the others, that player also has more losses.

But that is also the player among those tied with the least number of draws.

What does all this prove? It proves generally, with rare exceptions, that that was the player among those tied who played the most courageous chess. If you consistently reward those players, the message gets across: play courageous moves for the best chance of being rewarded.

You will get less draws and more exciting chess across the board (no pun intended) as a result.

By the way, this is the same message that NHL hockey sends with their points system. If you beat your division rival in regulation time, you get 2 points and they get 0 points. If it takes you into overtime to beat them, you still get 2 points, but your rival gets 1 point. So you make extra effort towards the end of a tied game to win in regulation, which makes for more exciting 3rd periods, which makes for more fans in the stands. That's the way organized chess needs to think.
                        Only the rushing is heard...
                        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
                          The recent motion passed at the AGM was merely to bring the tiebreak recommendations into line with the current FIDE choices (see discussion at link below).
                          http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...mm%E9e-Craver)
                          Thanks Stephen, that's the sort of prompt, factual, and relevant post that makes discussion boards worthwhile.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Posting of Rd. 6 Standings?

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                            The closest answer we got is that :

Now it does seem that Konstantin is the winner of the tiebreaks, but there still hasn't be any official confirmation. After all, three people were announced as the winners of the tie-breaks at different moments. It would take 2 minutes to do an official list of the top 3 players for every section.

I wanted to post the results of the CYCC on the Newsfeed, but for that we need the official list of winners... Even it would not be what we could really call timely news.

Felix, you have repeatedly claimed that "three people" were announced as the winners.

You are the only one who has made this claim.

The people who were there -- including David Itkin, the "third person" you claim was "announced" -- has already posted on this thread that he was never announced as the 3rd place winner.

As Bob Gillanders (above) and anyone paying attention to this thread will know, Konstantin was announced at the award ceremony as the 3rd place finisher.

Your claims about the 2013 CYCC are clearly totally untrustworthy, as anyone who reads this thread will see.

What I find really confusing -- and quite frankly, fascinating -- is that your work on the Newsfeed is so much better than your posts here on ChessTalk and on the CFC board to the Governors, who you have also continued to mislead by claiming that three players were "announced" as 3rd place finishers even after David had corrected you on CT.

Felix,
                            Your work on the Newsfeed shows that you are both competent and industrious. If your work on the Newsfeed was anywhere near as woefully wide of the facts as your posts on ChessTalk continue to be, I would have fired you weeks ago.
                            [Note to eavesdroppers: technically, as editor of the CCN, I am Felix's boss for the Newsfeed.]

But, and here is the strange thing which I just can't explain, AFAIK it is only on the subject of the 2013 CYCC that your competence clearly deserts you. In your capacity as coordinator of the McGill Team (who supply the content for the CFC Newsfeed) you are almost always on time, accurate, and prompt to make corrections. For example, a few days ago you fixed the title of your post on the 2013 CYCC from "2014 CYCC" to "2103 CYCC", and you did it within seconds of my pointing it out to you on our Newsfeed facebook page.

Maybe that was an easy fix for you because it was such a small mistake: a typo.

But the falsehoods you post on CT -- and continue to assert when they have been publicly exposed and corrected -- are not small mistakes.

Your insinuations that the organizers are making "profits" on the event are insulting to people who have been contributing to Canadian chess for longer than you have been alive. (That's not me, BTW, I've hardly contributed anything)

Worse, those insinuations are supported by nothing more than your own (wild) suspicions. For instance, you claimed a few days ago on CT that the 2013 CYCC might contribute as much as $10,000 to the CFC, when even a cursory review of the entry fees and number of contestants would make anything less than $35,000 scandalous. It might occur to some people who read your posts that you so keen on insulting the 2013 CYCC that you are willing to seem arithmetically incompetent.

Your repeated requests (to the Govs) that the 2013 CYCC organizers publish our financial statements imply that we are hiding something; when, as everyone else knows, we're all extremely busy with the Canadian Open. This shows either an colossal lack of understanding of the logistics of running major events, or a grossly insulting disregard for the intelligence of the people you think might expect that the financial statements could possibly be ready so soon.

Frankly, I am surprised that noone in the FQE has asked you to stop. As a member of the FQE myself, I am concerned that your actions will bring a wonderfully successful chess-promoting organization into disrepute. Doesn't anyone there worry that your lies and insinuations will undermine the bid you are putting together for the 2014 CYCC? If nothing else, I'm surprised that after the FQE put your forward as their candidate for CFC Gov. no one has suggested that your own reputation will be so damaged by your claims that no one will trust you. That might not be a big loss for the FQE -- they have other competent (if less energetic) people who can replace you as CFC Governor -- but it might not be the future you want for yourself.

And yet....
                            despite these falsehoods, and insults, and the clear contempt for me that your previous post displays for everyone, I'm not going to fire you (yet) because your work on the Newsfeed is still good.

I would never have guessed that I was such a nice guy. :o

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                              Really. I know that more wins means more losses in this case. My point is: in RR more wins and loses don't affect the quality of your opponents. In swiss usually (not always) more loses means more lower-rated opponents. Roger, we can check it, we both like math. (It was exactly the case for U18 CYCC).

RR is regularly an invitational tournament and I find it very logical for organizers to stimulate players to play more risky by using this tie-break.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                                ..... we're all extremely busy with the Canadian Open.
                                Felix, how about a cease fire for the remainder of the Canadian Open? I think it shows poor judgement to wage political attacks on organizers during an event. Questions, comments, okay, but lets be honest here. Your posts (in there totality) do constitute a political attack campaign surrounding the question: What is the appropriate level of compensation for chess organizers for the CYCC?

Can we have that discussion later and please let the Ottawa team focus on the Canadian Open? And let John get some well deserved sleep.

Comment

Working...
                                X