Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: former Mayor Rob Ford

Rob Ford thrown out of Toronto council meeting

Rob Ford may not be Toronto's mayor any more, but he's still finding his way to the spotlight.

The councillor was ejected from Toronto city council on Wednesday afternoon, after he refused to apologize for comments he made about city staff.
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
      I saw it on TV. He asked a legitimate question.

No different than me asking the CFC a question about the financial statement EXCEPT I get a reply and he got thrown out.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
        I saw it on TV. He asked a legitimate question.

No different than me asking the CFC a question about the financial statement EXCEPT I get a reply and he got thrown out.
        He was not kicked out for a question.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
          He was not kicked out for a question.
          Enlighten us to the reason. Maybe the TV news didn't show the part to which you're refer.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

gosh! The knives are really out for Rob Ford!

Poor Rob Ford! The knives are really out for him!

No, Rob!

Not those knives!

Comment

Enlighten us to the reason. Maybe the TV news didn't show the part to which you're refer.
              You can watch the episode in the discussion: http://www.rogerstv.com/page.aspx?li...=16&gid=229757
              ~6:06:00

Comment

You can watch the episode in the discussion: http://www.rogerstv.com/page.aspx?li...=16&gid=229757
                ~6:06:00
                I realize $20,000.00 isn't a lot of money in the chess community. There's a lot of money in chess, something organizers realize early in their careers. Many top players don't have it but the money is there.

I don't pay taxes in Toronto so I don't much care how much they pay in taxes. Still, when it's pointed out a junket to Italy with a price tag of $20,000.00 isn't even mentioned with the dollar figure in a report to council it makes one wonder.

I thought Ford went easy on that person. Can't see why he should apologize to someone presenting that kind of report.

Let's look at what the $20,000.00 represents. The human factor.

In this area it would take 5 or 6 homeowners entire annual property tax, including school taxes, to pay for that trip which was so insignificant it wasn't included in the report.

The Toronto Mayor is crying and whining over a shortfall and it doesn't enter their mind they could use the money for that instead of a vacation. Unreal!!!
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I thought Ford went easy on that person. Can't see why he should apologize to someone presenting that kind of report.
                  You could form a good party with R.Ford. Good luck.

Comment

You could form a good party with R.Ford. Good luck.
                    And you a good governor/voting member of the CFC.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

• austerity and the fight against it.

Supplemental follow-up with a more recent link:

National campaign aims to unite Canada against austerity

Quebec’s society-wide understanding of austerity has yet to reach English Canada

In Montreal and Quebec City, tens of thousands of people have joined student-led marches. Trois-Rivières, Shawinigan, Joliette, and Longueuil have all seen protests this year. The people of Quebec are alive to the farce of austerity, pushed by governments claiming that revenues fall short and cuts must be made, while continuing to shield the wealth of corporations and the rich.

But in the rest of the country, communities seem slow to wake up and respond to the austerity agenda.
                      Seems to be a better answer than the one I provided way back when.

Comment

• Re: austerity and the fight against it.

man, people hating on Rob Ford more than they hate on Ted Rogers. That just ain't right.

Comment

• Re: austerity and the fight against it.

Originally posted by Digeng Du View Post
                          man, people hating on Rob Ford more than they hate on Ted Rogers. That just ain't right.
                          Rob Ford isn't mentioned in the last comment. Your reply is a strange one. Maybe you are remarking on the whole thread generally?

My remark was about austerity and those sorts of harmful public policy. The awareness of austerity is much higher in Quebec than in RoC.

The article mentions a few ways to characterize austerity:

- sacrificing the common good for corporate profits
                          - scapegoating of the most vulnerable members of our society
                          - a heightened level of surveillance, especially of dissidents
                          - and so on.
                          Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Thursday, 16th April, 2015, 01:02 AM.

Comment

• Re: austerity will play havoc with your position on the chess board?

Supplemental: (United Kingdom) 442 Mental Health Experts Call for an End to Austerity

...because it will play havoc with your position on the chess board? Interesting image.

Comment

• Rob Ford R.I.P.

Rob Ford, R.I.P.

Rob Ford dead at 46 - Cancer Claims the Former Mayor

Comment

• Re: Rob Ford R.I.P.

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                                RIP. Sad news.

I voted for him in 2010. The other (final) choices were less than inspiring. He imploded due to his own demons and nature but was more effective than people give him credit for. He was very well regarded as a councilor and was frequently a useful voice of reason on city council. He over-reached in trying to be mayor, and it was well past time for "Ford Nation" to go by 2014, but this is still very sad news. He leaves behind a wife and children.

Steve

P.S. It will be interesting to see what Jimmy Kimmel says tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X