Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FIDE Election for President

Originally posted by Sasha Starr View Post
    This is grossly unfair: YOU were one starting the poll. And if Kirsan would have been ahead you'd have an additional ammunition to justify CFC voting for Kirsan. But the opposite has happened: so you are saying that you have never taken this poll seriously! Your own poll! Hahaha!!! Have to do better than this, please!
    That's the main reason why Vlad came up with this survey, to influence and justify his potential endorsement.

Comment

Re: CFC Governance Problem to Continue under "Continuence"

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
      The CFC has on more than one occasion made mistakes that made it the butt or jokes. If we could get away from this endless pattern of starting fires and then having to put them out maybe we could accomplish something useful in the way of promoting chess.
      Good point. Just for the record, since you quoted a message of mine and followed it with a long explanation of your views, I'm in no way associated with efforts to make the CFC take this or that position on the FIDE Presidential race. Sasha's comment about intimidation just seemed to be a provocation or demagogery, to me, that's all.
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: Endorsemeent over Vote: FIDE Election for President

Originally posted by Sasha Starr View Post
        Thank you for your post, Erik! I agree with you that for some, perhaps even majority, of CFC members, it is irrelevant who is a FIDE President. Its a different story for players attending international competitions, both personal and team, including youth tournaments. Also the chess organizers approaching sponsors could feel the difference - the sponsors, both Government and corporate, would feel way more comfortable if CFC is a member of FIDE, headed by World's famous GM media friendly Gary Kasparov, whose name is widely known even to people never played a game, then whoever else. So Governors not recognizing the difference could answer something like "either is fine with me", however those who have an opinion and do care about CFC vote could have a chance to voice their opinion AND participate in the process. So Governors who have "limited time" would just select "either is fine with me" - that should not take a lot of their time. But why not to give an opportunity of participating to other Governors?
        Thee was a Canadian business sponsor who withdrew his dollars due to the public relations disaster of the FIDE President posing for photos with terrorist dictators. Kasparov may have some media recognition, but probably more than Anand or Carlsen. So who the FIDE President is can affect us players in Canada.

Comment

The membership numbers are usually posted as of May 1st on the CFC web site. I had a look and the numbers to May 1, 2014 haven't been posted.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: FIDE Election for President

Originally posted by Mark Biong View Post
            That's the main reason why Vlad came up with this survey, to influence and justify his potential endorsement.
            To influence and justify my potential endorsement? I don't need to influence, nor justify my potential endorsement. I know what the sentiment on the executive is and was and I know what my initial vote in the straw poll was. I did not feel strongly enough about my initial choice to argue vociferously one way or the other. I put it at 50.5% for one candidate and 49.5% for the other with me being willing to listen and be influenced by reinforcing and alternative points of view. This poll and thread is a continuation of the consultation process and not the vote that will decide how the executive will vote in this matter. It is meant to inform me and should be considered as one of a number of steps that I have taken to help me arrive at a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              The membership numbers are usually posted as of May 1st on the CFC web site. I had a look and the numbers to May 1, 2014 haven't been posted.
              This has been brought to my attention and it is being worked on along with the other half dozen hot potatoes that I and the executive are dealing with.

Comment

Re: Objection Temporarily Withdrawn: Canada's Vote in FIDE Election for Presi

Does Kirsan truly believe he was abducted by aliens? I heard that rumour and Wikipedia tells me it's true, but how would anyone take him seriously as an option if that were true?

Comment

Originally posted by Joel Stainer View Post
                  Does Kirsan truly believe he was abducted by aliens? I heard that rumour and Wikipedia tells me it's true, but how would anyone take him seriously as an option if that were true?
                  If you watch the History Channel here in Canada you would know that he isn't the only one who has been abducted. The truth is out there. :)

I believe he has won two elections after that was widely reported.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                    If you watch the History Channel here in Canada you would know that he isn't the only one who has been abducted. The truth is out there. :)

I believe he has won two elections after that was widely reported.
                    So it's not just an urban myth? Wow.

Comment

• Re: Objection Temporarily Withdrawn: Canada's Vote in FIDE Election for Presi

An article entitled “Kirsan Ilyumzhinov and the Aliens” by Edward Winter (2013) can be found at:

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/e...yumzhinov.html

Comment

• Re: Endorsemeent over Vote: FIDE Election for President

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                        Thee was a Canadian business sponsor who withdrew his dollars due to the public relations disaster of the FIDE President posing for photos with terrorist dictators. Kasparov may have some media recognition, but probably more than Anand or Carlsen. So who the FIDE President is can affect us players in Canada.

Absolutely true Erik. I am the business sponsor you are referring to. The fact that Kirsan has zero votes in this poll should have an influence on the executive vote. The fact that I would be interested in getting involved with Canadian Chess sponsorship again if FIDE had a credible leadership that in turn would bring in credible business sponsors should also have an influence. I am surprised that so far it has proven to be far from an easy decision for the CFC executive.

The fact that Kirsan was directly appointed by Vladimir Putin when he was governor of Kalmykia should also have an influence, to any one that know's the difference between right and wrong, between good and evil. If the CFC endorses Kirsan it will be a day of shame for chess in Canada and will not reflect well for Canada in the larger world either.

It seems to me that the voters here know what is good for chess in Canada and I would be willing to bet that a larger poll of all CFC members would have a very similar result. So who's interest is the executive protecting if it is not those that participate and enjoy this game so much? Is the CFC now going to deteriorate to the point of not caring about what it's members want or what sponsors would support? I find it interesting that we are told the poll is one step in the consultive process but not necessarily a decisive factor. Vladimir Putin and his cronies are making themselves good candidates as potential indictees for the UN International Criminal Court for crimes against humanity. Need I say more?
                        Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Sunday, 11th May, 2014, 12:54 AM.

Comment

• Endorsemeent over Vote: FIDE Election for President

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
                          Absolutely true Erik. I am the business sponsor you are referring to. The fact that Kirsan has zero votes in this poll should have an influence on the executive vote. The fact that I would be interested in getting involved with Canadian Chess sponsorship again if FIDE had a credible leadership that in turn would bring in credible business sponsors should also have an influence. I am surprised that so far it has proven to be far from an easy decision for the CFC executive.

The fact that Kirsan was directly appointed by Vladimir Putin when he was governor of Kalmykia should also have an influence, to any one that know's the difference between right and wrong, between good and evil. If the CFC endorses Kirsan it will be a day of shame for chess in Canada and will not reflect well for Canada in the larger world either.

It seems to me that the voters here know what is good for chess in Canada and I would be willing to bet that a larger poll of all CFC members would have a very similar result. So who's interest is the executive protecting if it is not those that participate and enjoy this game much? Is the CFC now going to deteriorate from incompetence to not caring about what it's members want or what sponsors would support? I find it interesting that we are told the poll is one step in the consultive process but not necessarily a decisive factor. Vladimir Putin and his cronies are making themselves good candidates as potential indictees in the International Criminal Court for crimes against humanity. Need I say more?
                          Hmmm! Not quite the answer I received awhile back when I questioned the incident/withdrawal of support!

DARE I SUGGEST any support of Kirsan would be due to fears that we might suffer some consequences if he won.

Are there benefits we receive now that would evoke these fears?

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
                            Hmmm! Not quite the answer I received awhile back when I questioned the incident/withdrawal of support!

DARE I SUGGEST any support of Kirsan would be due to fears that we might suffer some consequences if he won.

Are there benefits we receive now that would evoke these fears?
                            Many members here recall a spirited discussion I had on the old Ottawa Chess Club forums regarding Kirsan's holding a chess tournament in Libya when Ghadaffi was in charge that restricted Israeli players from playing. So, i have no idea what answer you are referring to. What consequences are you talking about if Kirsan won?? Last time the CFC openly supported Karpov and the CFC did not suffer any consequences. Of course I was assured that Canada did indeed vote the way they said they did for Karpov last time although I have heard several reports to the contrary from sources that I suspect know the truth.
                            Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Saturday, 10th May, 2014, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
                              Many members here recall a spirited discussion I had on the old Ottawa Chess Club forums regarding Kirsan's holding a chess tournament in Libya when Ghadaffi was in charge that restricted Israeli players from playing. So, i have no idea what answer you are referring to. What consequences are you talking about if Kirsan won?? Last time the CFC openly supported Karpov and the CFC did not suffer any consequences. Of course I was assured that Canada did indeed vote the way they said they did for Karpov last time although I have heard several reports to the contrary from sources that I suspect no the truth.
                              ****************************************************************************

The answer I received was not from you. It came from some general CT members when I had asked a question after a discussion of sponsorship. I think I had asked what had caused the loss of a BIG sponsor previously, although I don't think I mentioned you by name. Those answering did know to whom I was referring though!

I agree that we should not support Kirsan.

As far as a loss of anything, I just wonder if Canada could suffer any consequences if they vote against Kirsan and he wins. I don't know what those consequences could be, it was simply general question. One example would be whether Hal Bond would receive less invitations to be an arbiter at big events.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
                                ****************************************************************************

The answer I received was not from you. It came from some general CT members when I had asked a question after a discussion of sponsorship. I think I had asked what had caused the loss of a BIG sponsor previously, although I don't think I mentioned you by name. Those answering did know to whom I was referring though!

I agree that we should not support Kirsan.

As far as a loss of anything, I just wonder if Canada could suffer any consequences if they vote against Kirsan and he wins. I don't know what those consequences could be, it was simply general question. One example would be whether Hal Bond would receive less invitations to be an arbiter at big events.
                                I specifically asked about any down side the CFC suffered when they openly supported Karpov in the last FIDE election and was told that nothing untoward happened and moreover Hal's invitations to be an arbiter were not affected and in fact he recently was an arbiter at the candidates.

Comment

Working...
                                X