Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CFC financial dealings with FIDE

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
    Your position is inconsistent and illogical. Either it's too risky dealing with FIDE or it isn't. Why would it be acceptable to deal with FIDE on their revenue side but not on their expense side? Is there information that would clarify your position that you're not sharing? As Rene Preotu asked (and as I asked in another thread), what organization or individual paid the $20k to the CFC?
    And the answer is ...
    Maybe Bob Gillanders can look back at the 2015 bank statements and see where the money came from. I'm sure the bank had to report the transaction to CRA
    http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/gncy/cmplnc.../menu-eng.html

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
      And the answer is ...
      Maybe Bob Gillanders can look back at the 2015 bank statements and see where the money came from. I'm sure the bank had to report the transaction to CRA
      You'll see the answer: it is a privileged information! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha Starr View Post
        LOL!
        Sasha,
        I understand you're trying to gain momentum for the next CFC election but this is not a funny subject. I'm asking questions because this matter directly affects my son. He has to go to US or other countries to play in GM norm tournaments because FIDE (or KI) can't keep their promise to CFC.

To CFC executives: Next time when FIDE promises something to CFC make sure you get it in writing.
        Last edited by Rene Preotu; Tuesday, 10th May, 2016, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Sasha,
          I understand you're trying to gain momentum for the next CFC election but this is not a funny subject. I'm asking questions because this matter directly affects my son. He has to go to US or other countries to play in GM norm tournaments because FIDE (or KI) can't keep their promise to CFC.

To CFC executives: Next time when FIDE promises something to CFC make sure you get it in writing.
          What makes you to think that this $80,000.00 deal is actually NOT in writing?
          Last edited by Sasha Starr; Tuesday, 10th May, 2016, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
            All the people in Canada know about it. They don't care. Kasparov's name will live forever as a player and deservedly so. Being a great player does not make someone a great administrator or great leader. I don't believe in blind hero worship as you seem to. The most convincing person on the Kasparov side in 2014 tried to convince me that Garry had changed and had learned his lessons from his past stumbles and that he was not the vindictive and somewhat destructive person he seemed to be. Their federation was taking a leap of faith convinced that the leopard had changed his spots. Unfortunately for the Kasparov campaign he and his people were there in the media and on twitter and his proxies were on chesstalk showing that nothing had changed.
            Is Ilyumzhinov really a great administrator or a great leader, in your opinion?
            Last edited by Sasha Starr; Tuesday, 10th May, 2016, 07:19 PM.

Comment

"Sasha,
              I understand you're trying to gain momentum for the next CFC election but this is not a funny subject." Rene Preotu

No, Rene, there is no momentum, no election whatsoever! My punishment for these executives is to keep electing them over and over again - FOREVER, actually, always reminding members that here we have EXECUTIVES who have ENDORSED you know whom: a "great administrator and great leader" versus the greatest chess player of all time. And they did it against the will of the voting members whose decision was split. EXECUTIVES' vote was +5=2 for the ENDORSEMENT. Amen!
              Last edited by Sasha Starr; Tuesday, 10th May, 2016, 07:40 PM.

Comment

And the answer is ...
                How is Bob Gillanders doing with the bank statements? Any transaction over $10,000.00 has to be properly documented with all appropriate paperwork. Where is it?

Comment

How is Bob Gillanders doing with the bank statements? Any transaction over $10,000.00 has to be properly documented with all appropriate paperwork. Where is it?
                  Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that Mr. Starr's method of discussion usually has a question that contains innuendo rather than discussion. Look back a few or more postings!

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
                    Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that Mr. Starr's method of discussion usually has a question that contains innuendo rather than discussion. Look back a few or more postings!
                    Now he has taken to sending his chesstalk postings to myself and a long list of voting members after people have told him to stop. To Sasha please cease and desist sending me emails that don't contain a motion for inclusion at a future CFC meeting. I don't need to see them in my inbox.

Comment

Is Ilyumzhinov really a great administrator or a great leader, in your opinion?
                      He surrounded himself with people who were good administrators. He undid the damage that Kasparov did to FIDE by reuniting the world championship and he brought lots of money (both his own and other people's) into chess. I am not interested in continuing to debate arguments which were resolved long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                        FIDE is not under sanction by the US. I agree with your characterization of the sanctions against Kirsan based on the limited information that has been provided. The USCF is continuing to promote and sponsor FIDE events so it would be jumping the gun for the CFC to over react to this situation. I have no doubt that there is a path which would allow these tournaments to proceed but not one that might not incur the considerable wrath of the U.S. treasury department and frankly the rate of pay of the CFC presidency (zero) or the executive (also zero) does not justify taking those types of cataclysmic risks. The potential legal costs to stir that boiling pot of crazy would certainly be much more than the sponsorship funds available.
                        Vlad, I have to agree with Peter regarding this. Your response is inconsistent and I think a clear explanation is in order. As you know I am no fan of the over-the-top ravings of some of the other posters about this, but I think you sometimes respond to the person, not the issue.

All we know so far is that KI has become a SDN and that situation created problems for FIDE. KI then "stepped down" as president. FIDE itself is not on any US sanction list AFAIK. So why is the CFC not going to ask FIDE to honour its agreement for funding? Why would the CFC distance itself from FIDE for the sponsorship but continue to remit rating fees to them? I can imagine all kinds of reasons but I think it would be best if it were stated rather than letting the frothing masses continue to froth. Peter's questions are quite legitimate and your answers so far have not been clear.

A clear statement from the Executive about the current status with FIDE and KI is in order. It shouldn't require a voting member to bring a motion just to get a clear answer to a straightforward question.

Steve

Comment

Thank you, Steve. :)
                          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                            Thank you, Steve. :)
                            Bumping....

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
                              Bumping....
                              I presume that you are waiting for Vlad to deal with your suggestion that he provide more (or at least clearer) information?

To summarize, I would think a minimum might include the following:

1. the CFC should state what the terms of the $$ deal was with {Kirsan/FIDE/Agon/whoever} and include how much, what timelines and constraints, etc.

2. What amount has already been paid to the CFC (when would be nice to know) and where did that money go?

3. When is the next installment expected and for how much? And, if known, what will that money be used for?

The nice thing about transparency is that everyone doesn't need to ask such questions if the information is published.
                              That is what the CFC website[still cant believe it cost $18K?] is supposed to be used for - communication and information.

If the information isn't quite available or has to be culled from various secret bat caves, at least an indication that it is being assembled and will be revealed might be useful (but then again, only if there is follow through)
                              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

The information has been disseminated to the voting members including Sasha during the course of his email campaign. It will probably be discussed at the next CFC meeting which is looking to be occurring in the next three or four weeks. I had my knuckles appropriately rapped (lightly rapped) for revealing things on chesstalk before they had been fully disclosed to even the executive. The motivation was to forestall incorrect information from gaining more traction but still it was bad procedure on my part.

Comment

Working...
                                X