Putting out feelers: St. John's, NL for Canadian Open or Closed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting out feelers: St. John's, NL for Canadian Open or Closed?

Normally, the Canadian Open and Canadian Closed are held in central areas within the country - well, except for Edmonton and Kapuskasing ;-)

I'm wondering what players would think about having either or both of these tournaments held in St. John's, NL in 2011.

Granted this would increase travel times and possibly rates, however St. John's is a beautiful city, and players could definitely profit from the atmosphere and accomodations, as well as many attractions that exist in and around the city.

Please respond to the poll, and if your answer is 'no', a reply with some details would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!
    Yes
    62.16%
    No - Please provide brief response with reason(s).
    37.84%

The poll is expired.

No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Re: Putting out feelers: St. John's, NL for Canadian Open or Closed?

I would definitely want to play if the Open was in St. John's! I've always wanted an excuse to go there.

Comment

Hi,

Canadian Open in St. John's, why not? Ottawa, Montreal and Edmonton were not that close to me but were worth going to, for different reasons. It'd be nice if it was walking distance from the water, preferably some sort of beach :)

Alex F.

Comment

Absolutely YES. Travelling to Canadian Open's has been a great way to see Canada. I have but one province to visit, Newfoundland & Labrador. Go for it.:)

Comment

I have been to Newfoundland many times, and it is an absolutely fabulous place. I voted No however, because airfare from anywhere to St. John's is unbelievably high. Driving/taking the ferry is likewise prohibitively expensive (the ferry part). The Closed is quite a different case than the Open - they should not be considered related.

IMHO the Open Championship has to be held in a large metropolitan area.
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Yes Absolutely!!! My first BIG tourney! I would be in OPEN section!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
              I have been to Newfoundland many times, and it is an absolutely fabulous place. I voted No however, because airfare from anywhere to St. John's is unbelievably high. Driving/taking the ferry is likewise prohibitively expensive (the ferry part). The Closed is quite a different case than the Open - they should not be considered related.

IMHO the Open Championship has to be held in a large metropolitan area.
              Woah. I tried putting random dates in April 2010 and the cheapest price I get? 1070$ return incl tax.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
                Woah. I tried putting random dates in April 2010 and the cheapest price I get? 1070$ return incl tax.
                In my experience, it has cost me more to go to St. John's from Toronto than a round-trip to Hawaii... That is exactly what I mean.

Last time I checked the ferry prices are brutal too (whether you take the ~6hr ferry to west side --followed by 8hr drive to St. John's -- or the ~16 hour ferry to East side (to Argentia, near(er) St. John's). The ferry is a very large ship for sure but the accommodations are somewhat spartan and they occasionally have to hose it out (if you get my meaning). The shorter ferry is clearly cheaper since you don't have to pay for a cabin for such a relatively short ride.

Once you GET THERE, Newfoundland is beautiful and the people are welcoming...
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

$687 return (inc. taxes) for random April (and July) dates out of Toronto.

Watch for those seat sales - it's only $372 ($564 from Winnipeg) for random December dates.

Comment

Granted that travelling to St. John's from anywhere west of Toronto could get expensive, those who visit the individual airline websites regularly will find seat sales that go on from time to time. I booked my July/August round trip from St. John's to Montreal in January and paid about half price.

Flying from Quebec or Ontario is generally less expensive than driving, considering the fee for the ferry. However, the drive is quite nice, and once here you would not have to rent a car. Also, there are quite a few attractions on the way to and through Newfoundland that one would miss when flying.

Keep up the banter... I'm seriously considering approaching some people in the area to put together a proposal.

Thanks!! J
                    No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

I made some great friends through chess and otherwise during my two years in St John's 1991-1993 and I'd love a reason to go back. Yes, I would play.
                      Paul Leblanc
                      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
                        Normally, the Canadian Open and Canadian Closed are held in central areas within the country - well, except for Edmonton and Kapuskasing ;-)
                        Edmonton is central to those living in the Western half of the country. The Windsor to Quebec City corridor is convenient to a larger population, but to be truly a Canadian Open and not simply an Ontario/Quebec Open it should be allowed to travel without discrimination. The number of entrants could be quite small however, relative to past Opens, and the tournament committee would require substantial backing to pull it off. If they wish to have it then more power to them. I would not consider it a viable project though without a significant infusion of money.

Comment

I would not attend barring a sudden lottery win between now and then. I get two weeks vacation a year or ten days since I don't work weekends except in emergencies. I would probably have to use seven vacation days to make that trip and fit in all the rounds and the travel time.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                            I would not attend barring a sudden lottery win between now and then. I get two weeks vacation a year or ten days since I don't work weekends except in emergencies. I would probably have to use seven vacation days to make that trip and fit in all the rounds and the travel time.
                            but in that case, it doesn't matter where it is unless it is in your home town. You can't go.

Comment

I was the tournament director for the one Canadian Open that was held in St.John's...it was a great event and some players consider it to be the best of all Canadian Opens...I would be delighted to see the 2010 Open in St.John's and would definitely be a participant. Phil Haley

Comment

Working...
                              X