2200 assault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam Sharpe View Post
    It all depends what you are looking for. McDonald's "Ruy Lopez" is a solid choice, and I have heard good things about Hunt's "Chess Strategy" from a few folks. In addition to the Lopez book, I also have the KIA and Caro-Kann in the Move-by-Move series.
    Thank you, Sam!

Comment

Has anyone finished the Woodpecker Method? Care to share how long you spent?

So far I've finding the woodpecker spirit is not required. There are a lot of easier questions thrown in randomly, and haven't felt "stuck" yet.

Comment

Learning to mate with B+N is not that hard and can provide you with a win instead of a draw if you ever run into it. I have had to show that I know this mate twice.

Lichess has a half-decent page on it here: https://lichess.org/practice/checkma...lXnmM/D23EYigW
        and I use this page every week or so for practice: https://www.chessvideos.tv/endgame-t...-checkmate.php

Comment

STATUS UPDATE:

No concrete progress, really. Have been doing tactics puzzles regularly, but not playing regularly at all. Most of my chess time goes with Raunak, who can now beat me, unless I play very carefully. He used to blunder a lot, but now that has reduced quite a bit.

Hope to start playing atleast a few correspondence games over the next few weeks, and put up a decent fight with my son. Next update: June end.

P.S : Meant to post this at March end, but forgot.

Comment

Sam,
            I am surprised nobody questioned you sign-off quote about the pawns and king going into the same box. You say is of Irish origin. I always thought it was Italian.

Comment

I've seen it attributed to many nationalities, Mario, including Italian.

EDIT: I've updated it to be more in line with reality. :)
              Last edited by Sam Sharpe; Thursday, 20th May, 2021, 08:10 PM.

Comment

STATUS UPDATE:

Haven't started playing online myself ; play OTB occasionally with my son.

Have been practising puzzles regularly on lichess though ; I now have a puzzle rating of 2108.

Comment

I admire you for being honest and staying with the project.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                    I admire you for being honest and staying with the project.
                    Thank you, Sir, for your kind words.

Comment

STATUS UPDATE:

Well, no concrete update, really. I haven't played in any tournament or online games ; been busy with office work and my son's chess. I've been practicing puzzles regularly on Lichess ; however, puzzle rating is still languishing around 2K.

On the positive side, I finally decided to take the plunge and participate in the Wednesday tournaments at the Montreal Chess Club, starting next week.

Small beginnings...
                      Last edited by Amit R; Sunday, 27th August, 2023, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Its never too late, now you are getting your feet wet (old saying) with tournament chess. Keep it going.

Comment

Originally posted by Amit R View Post
                          STATUS UPDATE:

On the positive side, I finally decided to take the plunge and participate in the Wednesday tournaments at the Montreal Chess Club, starting next week.

Small beginnings...
                          Very great choice :)

I'm not a fan of online translations however love to listen the chess podcast - Perpetual Check when commuting. They have a website too where they keep transcriptions of all interviews. There are many great tips how to improve, what to read and study etc. However it is always boils down to - play more :) Today's (they release new ones on Tuesdays) issue is with the American Senior champion GM Melik Khachiyan. They talked that he was the most active players in the last year going to the championship. The other most active players Shabalov - finished the second. Thus again - play more :)

Comment

Excellent post Egidijus!

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

Very great choice :)

I'm not a fan of online translations however love to listen the chess podcast - Perpetual Check when commuting. They have a website too where they keep transcriptions of all interviews. There are many great tips how to improve, what to read and study etc. However it is always boils down to - play more :) Today's (they release new ones on Tuesdays) issue is with the American Senior champion GM Melik Khachiyan. They talked that he was the most active players in the last year going to the championship. The other most active players Shabalov - finished the second. Thus again - play more :)
                              Thank you, Hans and Egidijus, for your kind words and encouragement ! :-)

BTW, I was listening to the same podcast a few days back, and I saw about half of it. Indeed, what GM Khachiyan says about practice applies fully to me. Another important point that he mentioned , which I felt was meant for me, was about physical fitness; I found out over the last weekend playing soccer with my son that I am completely out of shape. :-(

Comment

Played my first tournament game, at the Montreal Chess Club.

I had a good space advantage throughout, I think. I need to work on my openings, my son said.

[Event "CEM 1: Amit Ramesan vs. Bernard Blondin"]
                                [White "Amit Ramesan"]
                                [Black "Bernard Blondin"]
                                [Result "1-0"]
                                [WhiteElo "0"]
                                [BlackElo "860"]
                                [UTCDate "2023.09.07"]
                                [UTCTime "03:47:09"]
                                [Variant "Standard"]
                                [ECO "C55"]
                                [Opening "Italian Game: Two Knights Defense"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. O-O a6 5. d3 d6 6. h3 Be7 7. a3 Na5 8. Ba2 O-O 9. Bd2 b6 10. Nc3 h6 11. d4 Nc6 12. d5 Nb8 13. Nh2 Nbd7 14. f4 Nh7 15. Nf3 f6 16. f5 Nc5 17. b4 Nb7 18. Nh4 Ng5 19. Ng6 Rf7 20. h4 Nh7 21. Qg4 b5 22. Bxh6 Bf8 23. Ne2 c5 24. dxc6 Qc7 25. Nxf8 Nxf8 26. Qxg7# 1-0

Comment

Working...
                                X