Canadian Chess Championships 2022. AKA CO 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My post clearly implied that I didn't think cheating was likely, so I don't think it's defamatory. Even looking at the game with Preotu, Black is clearly a strong player, but his play doesn't come across as computer-like.

When I was coming up I played maybe 100 tournament games a year, at 3 hours a game, that's 300 hours of practice, and assuming a good amount of studying, analysing chess with friends, or playing blitz, that's maybe 1000 hours a year. Online play wasn't really a thing at the time. Today it would be incredibly easy to devote double that time to chess through online play, also the available training materials are MUCH better than they were.

Will we ever see a world championship candidate develop out of purely online play? Maybe it's only a matter of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
      Looks like a two-way tie at the top, in the Open, at 5.5/6, with GM Paragua and IM Rodrigue-Lemieux, so they should probably meet next round. But will it be on board one!? Smart betting money says 'NO!!' Many other strong players remain in contention in what is shaping up to be a fascinating conclusion over the weekend!!!
      3 on top
      IM Shawn Rodrigue-Lemieux (5.5) will defeat GM Mark Paragua (4.5)
      IM Nikolay Noritsyn (5.5) over Ryan Campbell (5.0)
      GM Joshua Sheng (5.5) over FM Eugene Hua (4)
      IM Olivier-Kenta Chiku-Ratte (5) combo finishes off GM Isan Ortiz (4.5)

and maybe half of the 14 others who had 4 points could now have 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post

3 on top
        IM Shawn Rodrigue-Lemieux (5.5) will defeat GM Mark Paragua (4.5)
        IM Nikolay Noritsyn (5.5) over Ryan Campbell (5.0)
        GM Joshua Sheng (5.5) over FM Eugene Hua (4)
        IM Olivier-Kenta Chiku-Ratte (5) combo finishes off GM Isan Ortiz (4.5)

and maybe half of the 14 others who had 4 points could now have 5.
        I think it might be just SRL alone in 1st with 6.5/7 --- with Noritsyn, Sheng and OKCR tied for 2nd with 6 {but I'm just kind of guessing using round 5 totals and results on top boards today} I'm thinking the standings will be posted within the hour.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Kirby View Post
          My post clearly implied that I didn't think cheating was likely, so I don't think it's defamatory. Even looking at the game with Preotu, Black is clearly a strong player, but his play doesn't come across as computer-like.

When I was coming up I played maybe 100 tournament games a year, at 3 hours a game, that's 300 hours of practice, and assuming a good amount of studying, analysing chess with friends, or playing blitz, that's maybe 1000 hours a year. Online play wasn't really a thing at the time. Today it would be incredibly easy to devote double that time to chess through online play, also the available training materials are MUCH better than they were.

Will we ever see a world championship candidate develop out of purely online play? Maybe it's only a matter of time.
          I was not talking about your post. I was talking about an earlier one which has been edited with the defamatory material deleted.

I think we are headed for a future where a large percentage of our new members will come from the online world.

Comment

Round 8 shall start by 10:00 am.

https://view.livechesscloud.com/#39a...8-543e34839f1e

Pairings for Round 8: Canadian Open
            Bd Res White Res Black
            1 GM Aman Hambleton (2549 5.0 ON) Joshua Terry (1958 5.0 ON)
            2 IM Shawn Rodrigue-Lemieux (2493 6.5 QC) IM Olivier-Kenta Chiku-Ratte (2458 6.0 QC)
            3 GM Joshua Sheng (2558 6.0 USA) IM Nikolay Noritsyn (2557 6.0 ON)
            4 FM Zachary Dukic (2353 5.5 QC) GM Mark Paragua (2610 5.5 USA)
            5 GM Luis Manuel Perez Rodriguez (2328 5.5 CUB) IM Jason Liang (2515 5.5 ON)
            6 IM Bitan Banerjee (2502 5.5 IND) CM Koosha Jaferian (2336 5.5 IRI)
            7 GM Isan Ortiz (2526 5.0 CUB) Roman Gavrilin (2235 5.5 ON)
            8 GM Victor Mikhalevski (2629 5.0 ISR) Eduardo Moura (2194 5.0 BC)

http://can-open.ca/standings.html

http://can-open.ca/pairings.html

Regards,
            Omar Shah
            FIDE Arbiter
            Last edited by Omar Shah; Saturday, 16th July, 2022, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Impressive showing by Gavrilin (2235). He has drawn with GM Mikhalevski (ISR), drawn with GM Hambleton (CAN), drawn with IM Banerjee (IND), and defeated IM Zhang (CAN). In round 8 he faces GM Ortiz of Cuba. Not sure if a norm is possible, since his other three games were with players of ratings 1891, 2020 and 1545 (all wins). That might be too many low-rated and untitled players for norm qualification. In any case, a noteworthy performance!!

Comment

Great games, exciting upsets, and many newsworthy stories - really enjoying the games!

Comment

I have to say I admire the play of Shawn Rodrigue - Lemieux in rds 6, 7, and 8. In rds 6 and 7 he made it look smooth which it definitely is not and converted in the endgame. In rd 8 he uncharacteristically started interesting tactics from the opening but I enjoyed that nonetheless.

Shawn Rodrigue - Lemieux and Nikolay Noritsyn have set a torrid pace with 7 out of 8 and are tied for first ahead of all the 12 grandmasters. Impressive!

Comment

I was at the CO today, taking pix of rd.8.
                    Once edited, they'll be here: https://www.facebook.com/ChessCanada

RE: Ryan Campbell
                    I was suspicious too. Who beats an FM, then beats a GM... and then allows a mate-in-one in his next game??
                    Good reason to be suspicious, IMO.

But: Today I talked with the organizers -- Aris, Hal, Omar, Patrick -- and it is clear to me that they have done everything (short of a body-cavity search) to verify that Ryan Campbell is NOT cheating. They even had Ken Regan, the world-leading-expert in computer-analysis-based cheating detection, go over Ryan's games, and Ken's analysis found nothing suspicious. Therefore, please:
                    1) do not post malicious s**t about Ryan Cambbell.
                    2) do not post malicious s**t that implies that the TDs and Organizers of the 2022 Canadian Open are incompetent boobs.

PS: Ken Regan was there today, and I was very happy to have a chance to learn more about his work. Here's a cool tidbit: Ken had already analyzed Alireza's 250 game "bullet marathon" against GM Daniel Naroditsky that they played online between rounds during the 2022 Candidates. One point of this was to test the extent to which 2800+ players' moves decline in quality as their thinking time shortens. Interestingly, both Alireza and Hikaru show almost the identical decline in their accuracy as every other chess player!? Yes, they play better; but at short time controls they decline at the same rate and degree as the rest of us ordinary mortals.

Read Ken's blog for more:
                    https://rjlipton.wpcomstaging.com/

Comment

Round 9 (Final) shall start by 10:00 am.

https://view.livechesscloud.com/#39a...8-543e34839f1e

Pairings for Round 9. Canadian Open
                      Bd Res White Res Black
                      1 CM Koosha Jaferian (2336 6.0 IRI) GM Aman Hambleton (2549 6.0 ON)
                      2 IM Olivier-Kenta Chiku-Ratte (2458 6.5 QC) IM Nikolay Noritsyn (2557 7.0 ON)
                      3 GM Bator Sambuev (2568 6.0 QC) IM Shawn Rodrigue-Lemieux (2493 7.0 QC)
                      4 IM Bitan Banerjee (2502 6.0 IND) GM Victor Mikhalevski (2629 6.0 ISR)
                      5 GM Mark Paragua (2610 6.0 USA) FM Eugene Hua (2392 6.0 ON)
                      6 FM Zachary Dukic (2353 6.0 QC) GM Joshua Sheng (2558 6.0 USA)
                      7 IM Artiom Samsonkin (2539 6.0 ON) GM Luis Manuel Perez Rodriguez (2328 6.0 CUB)
                      8 CM Max Rusonik (2312 6.0 ON) GM Isan Ortiz (2526 6.0 CUB)

http://can-open.ca/standings.html

http://can-open.ca/pairings.html

Regards,
                      Omar Shah
                      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
                        Impressive showing by Gavrilin (2235). He has drawn with GM Mikhalevski (ISR), drawn with GM Hambleton (CAN), drawn with IM Banerjee (IND), and defeated IM Zhang (CAN). In round 8 he faces GM Ortiz of Cuba. Not sure if a norm is possible, since his other three games were with players of ratings 1891, 2020 and 1545 (all wins). That might be too many low-rated and untitled players for norm qualification. In any case, a noteworthy performance!!
                        Good find, Frank.

To get a norm requires a few variables. First, have to play 5 titled players. Only Noritsyn and Rodrigue-Lemieux have played 5 titled players, but for a score of 7-2 needed an average opponent rating of at least 2380 for a GM norm (Rodrigue-Lemieux has 2367 Noritysn has 2327, big assumption that all ratings are FIDE, not CFC). But a score of 8-1 is .88 so add 336 and either one could get an over 2600 norm. A draw is .83 so add 273 (2640 or 2600). They have only 3 or 2 foreign opponents and over the max 5 from Canada, but these requirements doesn't apply as there are over 20 foreign players (10 masters) in the Swiss.

Roman Gavrilin scored 1.5-2.5 against titled players but doesn't play a titled player in the last round. He plays child star Aaron Mendes who has 2-2 against titled players.

Both Joshua Terry and Ryan Campbell scored 2-3 against titled players. Neil Doknjas scored 1.5-2.5 against titled players.

Comment

The game Chiku-Ratté - Noritsyn just finished draw. An interesting (and paradoxal) try for black is 51...Rh4 with the idea 52...Rf4 or f4+ if the white rook quit the 5th rank. On 52. Rxf5+ Kxf5 53. Kxh4 Kf4! 54. Kh5 e3 win for black. Nice save by Olivier-Kenta!

Addendum: I just put the position on syzygy endgame tablebases and 5 moves win for black in move 51: https://syzygy-tables.info/?fen=8/8/.../8/8_b_-_-_0_1

Also nice save by Shawn against GM Sambuev. White have a lot of winning continuation, the fastest is 73. Kd4, but the ending with Q + b (after 73...Qd7+ and 74...Qxa4) or g pawn against Q is one of the tougest to win and one of the toughest to defend. Before checking with syzygy endgame tablebases, my idea was to not take the pawn with 71. Ka5!? bxa4 72. Qc4+ Kf8 73. b5 seem to win.
                          Last edited by Réjean Tremblay; Sunday, 17th July, 2022, 07:50 PM.

Comment

A very competitive event. Nice to see Canadians winning the Canadian Open :)

Congrats to Shawn and Nikolay!

Shawn went from the CYCC to the Canadian Open...and tomorrow he will be the star at a week long chess camp for kids in Montreal, run by the Chess'n Math Association! He will be going out with the kids in the morning playing soccer etc and then the afternoons will be all about chess.

There are a few places left. You can send an e-mail to Virginie Roux: montreal@chess-math.org or give her a call tomorrow morning after 8:15 am...514-845-8352.

Larry
                            Last edited by Larry Bevand; Sunday, 17th July, 2022, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                              PS: Ken Regan was there today, and I was very happy to have a chance to learn more about his work. Here's a cool tidbit: Ken had already analyzed Alireza's 250 game "bullet marathon" against GM Daniel Naroditsky that they played online between rounds during the 2022 Candidates. One point of this was to test the extent to which 2800+ players' moves decline in quality as their thinking time shortens. Interestingly, both Alireza and Hikaru show almost the identical decline in their accuracy as every other chess player!? Yes, they play better; but at short time controls they decline at the same rate and degree as the rest of us ordinary mortals.

Read Ken's blog for more:
                              https://rjlipton.wpcomstaging.com/
                              Since I am the person in the CFC that most alleged cheating cases reach, I was asked to look at the first five games of Ryan Campbell. I did so. My conclusions delivered on the evening following the fifth round were that there was no indication of foul play, that play was not perfect but it was a delight to analyze the games. In a couple of the games I had the help of my roommate and former student (about to be IM) Rohan Talukdar who pointed out that Ryan employed some very subtle move order tricks in the opening to push his opponents into unfamiliar territory. The net result of this was that one opponent was playing the accelerated Dragon instead of the more familiar Najdorf Sicilian. Rohan said that this was a sign of deep thinking as he (Rohan) had experienced the same move order tricks in some of his games with grandmasters.

Engines do not typically employ such tricks because they don't care whether the game is an accelerated Dragon or a Najdorf Sicilian. It is all just pure calculation to them in either case.

The game against the 1900 player should have ended in a draw as Ryan allowed an exchange sacrifice which should have led to a perpetual check. The opponent made a mistake on move 121 or so which allowed promotion of a pawn and ended the series of checks.

This Ryan Campbell situation was a feel good story of the tournament. Sometimes lightening does strike and a player goes on a run based on a combination of luck and skill.

In a tournament of this size it is expected to happen to at least one or two players. We should not be surprised when it does happen.

Dr. Ken Regan is doing a great deal of fascinating work on chess and chess performance using statistics and his proprietary models. It was fascinating to watch how quickly he could change parameters of his explorations of the data and watch him type in the queries needed to get the answers he wanted. I could have listened to him for twelve hours straight despite being a tad exhausted at that point in the tournament due to the issues with the Chennai Olympiad and Congress and the week of sleeping in an unfamiliar bed. That was just one of many highlights of the tournament which made the whole experience worthwhile.

Comment

Thanks for your comments Vlad. It was good to see you playing, and playing well! I share your apprehension about Chennai - hot, sticky and crowded if one manages to score a visa in the first place. I hope we all get there and back!

Comment

Working...
                                X