Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Olympic Team

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
    I hope you're as disgusted as I am. The question is why? Is he older than the other players and what they want? Is it to make a spot for a Quebec representative? Has the Alberta federation offended them?
    I am not sure you are asking me if I am as disgusted as you... but just in case: Yes I am. The exact policies of the CFC are not easily determined; sometimes, even if they can be determined, they are not followed!

Surely this is precisely the definition of a dysfunctional organization that should be tossed out with the bath water and replaced? Sadly, I doubt even that simple action can be taken.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
      You guys should stop harassing the CFC. Without it there would no organised chess in Canada. ;)
      Don't forget to send a donation.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi Eric:

Could you please e-mail me ( bobarm@sympatico.ca ) ? I don't have your e-mail. I want to send you something. Thanks.

Bob

Comment

Re: Olympic Team - Relevant Handbook Selection Sections

I have now written to Ilia and Hal on this issue. I reproduced a number of the relevant posts of Eric, myself, Ilia and others , and then said:

" Ilia has explained how Edward was legitimately passed over by the Selection Committee – they were not bound by ratings. If they had the discretion in this case.

But could you point me, and Eric, to the Handbook where it says that if “ Rated choices “ decline, they are replaced by the Selection Committee’ discretion ( not by next highest ratings )? ( Ottosen’s question )

Thanks

I will post any reply I get. I agree that the first issue is what the Handbook says when the Canadian Champion declines, and the " rated " choices decline. It does seem reasonable that if the wildcard discretionary choice of the Selection Committee declines, then they get another shot at it ( but even here, we should confirm this is what the Handbook says ).

Bob

Comment

From what is being written farther down in the thread it would appear Edward was "passed over".

The Olympic team picks seem to have been given to the Ontario/Quebec CFC "power base".

Your provincial federation should take a tough stance with the CFC. Alberta has a legitimate qualifier for the Olympic team and he's passed over. It's outrageous.
            Yes I agree. I noticed that the Olympiad Committee seems to have all 8 members from Toronto, or at least Ontario if I'm mistaken. I think the CFC not using the selection list and hand-picking 3 players based on whoever they feel like is pretty awful. I think that Edward or any non -ONT/QC player would be quite unfamiliar to the selection committee, and they would be more inclined pick the people they know. This is the only way I think someone like Edward could be selected after players such as Noritsyn and Samsonkin when by almost all objective methods he is clearly above them.

Comment

Re: Olympic Team - Relevant Handbook Selection Sections

I am not familiar with the details, but didn't this same thing happen with Nikoloff - he was the next higest rated when someone dropped out, and someone picked someone else to fill the vacancy?

Bob

Comment

I thought I didn't qualify based on rating. But now knowing what their methods are, I think I'm going to need to be at least a GM from Alberta to have a chance to be selected over average IM's from Toronto :)

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                  I believe that Maurice Smith went thru all the GLs and updated the handbook, finishing sometime last winter or spring.
                  Hi John,

That may be true but has the handbook been updated on the website?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
                    Hi John,

That may be true but has the handbook been updated on the website?
                    According to Gerry (at the CFC 'office') all the changes made by Maurice Smith are on the website. That is the latest info I have.

Comment

Hi Kerry:

It's so nice to see our one-person Handbook Updating Subcommittee monitoring Handbook questions ! Thanks for keeping on top of this, as well as the tecnical task of the updating itself.

Bob

Comment

I was a governor at the time of the motion and I am sure that it was 4 from the list and only 1 by selection in order to reward players who were playing games in Canada and raising their ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Profit View Post
                          I was a governor at the time of the motion and I am sure that it was 4 from the list and only 1 by selection in order to reward players who were playing games in Canada and raising their ratings.
                          A history of that 1+3+1 motion:

"Motion 2008-03
                          Moved by Lyle Craver / Bob Gillanders
                          That Handbook paragraph 1206(b) dealing with the Canadian Olympic team be
                          amended to read: (b) National Team: The National Team shall consist of FIVE players,
                          as follows:
                          (i) The Canadian Champion, as of 180 days before the start of the Olympiad.
                          (ii) The TWO highest rated players on the Selection Rating list.
                          (iii) Two players decided upon by the Selection Committee.
                          Rationale: this motion is intended to bring the CFC into alignment with FIDE which
                          has mandated 5 player teams for the 2008 Dresden Olympiad (Note: the capitalized
                          words original read ‘six’ and ‘three’ respectively)
                          First Discussion in 05-06GL1.pdf
                          Second Discussion in 07-08GL2.doc and 05-06GL4.pdf
                          Final Vote in 07-08GL3.pdf and 07-08GL5.pdf

Results of Voting in 07-08GL6.pdf
                          Voting suspended as an amendment has been received:
                          Motion 2008-3 Amendment Smith/Jaeger That Handbook paragraph 1206b
                          dealing with the Canadian Olympic team be amended to read: b National Team:
                          The National Team shall consist of FIVE players, as follows:
                          i The Canadian Champion, as of 180 days before the start of the Olympiad.
                          ii The THREE highest rated players on the Selection Rating List.
                          iii ONE player decided upon by the Selection Committee.

In GL#6 Motion transformed to: (b)National Team:The National Team shall
                          consist of six players, as follows:
                          (i) The Canadian Champion, as of 180 days
                          before the start of the Olympiad.
                          (ii) The three highest rated players on the Selection Rating list.
                          (iii)Two players decided upon by the Selection Committee.

(c) Women’s Team: The Women’s Team shall consist of four players, as follows:
                          (i)The Canadian Women’s Champion, as of 180 days before the start of the
                          Olympiad.
                          (ii) The two highest rated female players on the Selection Rating list.
                          (iii) One player decided upon by the Selection Committee.

Our existing rules attempt to apply the same selection principles to two teams of different sizes. Now both the National team and Women’s team are five player teams as per FIDE’s rules. Therefore I am ruling that the selection criteria be the same for both teams. Since both teams currently include the Canadian Champion from 180 days before the Olympiad, it comes down to this choice for the other 4 players.

Please choose between:
                          Option One: 2 players from the Selection Rating List and 2 players chosen by the Selection Committee
                          Option Two: 3 players from the Selection Rating List and 1 player chosen by the Selection Committee
                          Option Three: Neither of the above (in this case the floor is open for
                          other options)

Votes for option 1: (6) Barron, Duff, Langer, Luiting, McDonald, Wright
                          Votes for option 2: (6) Bluvshtein, Craft, Craver, D´enomm´ee, Haley, Profit
                          Votes for option 3: (1)Wu
                          Abstention: (1) Gillanders

Tie vote broken by the President – Option 2 passes. "
                          Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Thursday, 27th May, 2010, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

Please choose between:
                            Option One: 2 players from the Selection Rating List and 2 players chosen by the Selection Committee
                            Option Two: 3 players from the Selection Rating List and 1 player chosen by the Selection Committee
                            Option Three: Neither of the above (in this case the floor is open for
                            other options)

Votes for option 1: (6) Barron, Duff, Langer, Luiting, McDonald, Wright
                            Votes for option 2: (6) Bluvshtein, Craft, Craver, D´enomm´ee, Haley, Profit
                            Votes for option 3: (1)Wu
                            Abstention: (1) Gillanders

Tie vote broken by the President – Option 2 passes. "
                            It appears from the above the selection committee could only choose one player. The rating list took precedence for replacement when players declined their invitation.

From my reading, the only player the selection committee appears to have been able to replace by selection was the one they originally selected and who declined.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The rating list took precedence for replacement when players declined their invitation.
                              It might be disputed. It was no a replacement, as the team was not formed and those who accepted not yet withdrawn.

Handbook:
                              "If a player who has indicated his or her intention to participate as a member of the National or Women’s Team withdraws (1211),"

1211. Withdrawals
                              Once all members of the Canadian Delegation to the Olympiad have be determined:

---

As I understand, there is no clear procedure what to do when the player refuses immediately.
                              Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Thursday, 27th May, 2010, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                                It might be disputed. It was no a replacement, as the team was not formed and those who accepted not yet withdrawn.

---

As I understand, there is no clear procedure what to do when the player refuses immediately.
                                It will be quite a nightmare to draft a regulation that covers all possible combinations of accepting and declining - before and after the formation of the team (nevermind the definition of "formation of"). Soon we would have something like the Income Tax Act and officially sanctioned "interpretations"...

I think the regulation needs to be simplified so that it is clear in intent and in practice, but that is certainly easier wished for than done.

Comment

Working...
                                X