Olympic Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Olympic Team - Selection " Interpretation " of the Handbook

lol. I never managed an overnight sail in May in Winnipeg like I did last weekend around Salt Spring Island.

Crew of "Hard Drive" places 29th of 92 boats in the fleet.
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

• Re: Olympic Team

I remember, almost 40 years ago, sitting around the kitchen table of the late Dr. Elod Macskasy, discussing chessy matters. Julia probably made us poppy cakes. The subject was whether BC should apply for separate membership in FIDE. It would not be difficult to argue that we are more isolated from "mainland" Canada than Wales is from England, and BC was, briefly, a separate jurisdiction. We did have our own magazine and rating system. But the important question was whether we could field an Olympiad team. Macskasy said that we might have a stronger team than Canada. That was a fanciful notion, but present were Suttles, Biyiasas, Macskasy himself and a couple of other players that Macskasy kindly suggested could play on the team. Among those not in the kitchen were Zaradic and Zuk, who at various times had been the dominant players in BC, even at the expense of the aforementioned illustrious trio.

A few years later (1988), a team from Quebec (with one player from the Maritimes) actually did defeat a team from the rest of Canada.

The tricky ajar door to FIDE membership is now closed. Alberta looks like the locus of vigour now. I wonder what they're thinking.

where the buffalo roam, and the skies are not cloudy...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham wrote of me View Post

(This is much edited of course....)

(regarding Jean Hebert) Just goes to show: sleep with dogs and you're bound to get fleas.

you're stupid AND biased.

(I'm apparently part of) groups of antagonists

Oh, Steve, did you have trouble with math? No, probably you're just resorting to one of many tricks used by wannabe debators: exaggeration. Busted!

Really, Steve, such primitive arguments.

Do you want to be taken seriously?

Do you have a language problem in addition to your math problem?

turdbrain

So juvenile.

Maybe you can invent something.

The "mindless morons!" quote is taken totally out of context.

TOTAL BS ON YOUR PART. Par for the course on this forum.

(Apparently I threatened him?) I just LOVE the implied threat.

I don't recall you bothering to post in any of the threads having to do with my dispute with Jean Hebert. You've been conspicuously absent in the what-Canadian-chess-organizers-should-do or the what-is-good-for-chess-in-Canada debates. For you to appear now, and try to discredit me at this stage of the game, is really more a statement about YOU than it is about ME.

To be honest, I feel like I've just hit a girl. Please, if you have the kahunas to respond to this, do it point by point

And while you're at it, please explain to us all who died and gave you authority over what is "signal" and what is "noise"?

you are Hebert's attack dog
        I rest my case.

Steve

Comment

Well done, Steve. He's been hoisted with his own petard.
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

• Re: Olympic Team - Selection " Interpretation " of the Handbook

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
            lol. I never managed an overnight sail in May in Winnipeg like I did last weekend around Salt Spring Island.
            Nonsense. You just go to one of the 1,000,000 Manitoba lakes, put your arms out, and the mosquitoes carry you into the fluffy clouds. In Manitoba, you don't even need a boat to sail.

Comment

• That reminds me of another saying...

I heard long ago!

Look at my son, Johnny, 3,000 soldiers marching and only he's in step!

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
              Well done, Steve. He's been hoisted with his own petard.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
                I rest my case.

Steve

Oh, we want to play the simple cut-and-paste game from the FOX school of journalism, do we?

Ok...Steve Douglas wrote of me:

You are like a drunk

You've managed to grab the microphone and nobody can get it away from you

Paul is going to butt into EVERY conversation

He doesn't get it. So he carries on, imposing his rant

He screams "CENSORSHIP!"

Then he screams "I have a right to free speech!" ... a right quickly claimed by a bully.

Paul immediately calls anybody who disagrees with him "Mindless morons!"
                (this one is PARTICULARLY a bogus slur)

he will go stand in a corner and hold his breath until he turns blue.

And remember, your post appeared FIRST.

You know, Steve, if you follow world events at all, there is something that several nations have called "nuclear deterent". It's a stockpile of nuclear missiles that is on standby, ready to be launched if any other nation should launch a first strike. You have a nice peaceful life in Canada, protected by the umbrella of the U.S. nuclear deterent (Canada doesn't have its own).

All we've proven with our exchange of pleasantries is that your first strike was met by my deterent, and I'm glad to see mine was by far the more deadly and accurate of the two. I'm not ashamed of it in the least.

Well, Steve my boy, enough of this tempest in a teapot. You got nothing.

I can't wait to meet you in person, BTW.
                Only the rushing is heard...
                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                  Paul, you complain about the lack of civility on chesstalk, yet you post this extremely offensive personal attack against Steve. Please have the decency to withdraw it.
                  Bob, please see the PM I've sent you (out of respect for you).
                  Onward flies the bird.

Comment

• Re: That reminds me of another saying...

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
                    I heard long ago!

Look at my son, Johnny, 3,000 soldiers marching and only he's in step!
                    There are numerous examples in history of people who refused to be "in step" and were proven correct.

You can all resume marching now, to the tune of "Helter Skelter". That's what the process of choosing the Olympic team is looking like. LOL
                    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                      He's been hoisted with his own petard.
                      Actually it's "hoist". And I bet you don't even know what a petard is.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
                        Actually it's "hoist". And I bet you don't even know what a petard is.
                        Jean-Luc Petard? Captain of the Enterprise "D" wasn't he? :D

Comment

I would appreciate knowing whether the rules were followed. It will help me determine whether I will be financially supporting the Olympiad teams this year.

Comment

Thanks for the lessons, Ed. Never too old to learn! :)
                            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                            "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                              I would appreciate knowing whether the rules were followed. It will help me determine whether I will be financially supporting the Olympiad teams this year.
                              Ken,
                              I would suggest that you go on with your generous intention of providing financial support, regardless of the rules. The player(s) involved are not responsible for applying the rules or for the mess and should not be penalized unfairly through no fault of their own.

Comment

The rules were probably not broken, but we should get a better understanding and revise the rules so incidents like this do not happen. For my point, I would fully support selecting a team by ratings. I do believe that we use the selection committee improperly. In my opinion, the selection committee should be used to select players so that we try and send a "true Canadian team" and that all regions of Canada be represented.

Comment

Working...
                                X