Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Olympic Team

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
    I would appreciate knowing whether the rules were followed.
    Ken, probably no :D Have you received reports "on the implementation of the Selection Procedures"? ;)

"The Olympiad Coordinator shall submit a monthly report to the CFC Executive and Governors on the implementation of the Selection Procedures"
    Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Friday, 28th May, 2010, 12:52 PM.

Comment

One good outcome of this issue is that is helped me choose a game for the June 12th Globe and Mail column. The choice was causing ennui until ChessTalk inspiration flooded in.

Comment

Jonathan wrote:

One good outcome of this issue is that is helped me choose a game for the June 12th Globe and Mail column. The choice was causing ennui until ChessTalk inspiration flooded in.
        True -- there are at least 8 Paul Bonham games in CanBase :-)

Comment

I don't think that Edward Porper wants to go this year, but he told me that he would be interested in future years. In any case if he should have been selected he should be given a chance to properly decline the invitation!

Comment

All regions are represented whether a player resides in every region or not. I would suggest to you that the selections had more to do with age then geography. We can debate all day whether age is an appropriate criteria but this appears to be a rebuilding year and that factor suggests to me sending a younger team this year is not all that bad an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
              ... but this appears to be a rebuilding year and that factor suggests to me sending a younger team this year is not all that bad an idea.
              Rebuilding for what? It's not like all those players are likely to still be qualified for next time.

Like they say in curling. What's in your wallet? :):)
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I looked at the playing records out of curiosity and what you say is very misleading. The ONLY category Porper might be considered higher is that blended rating criteria and that is by mere points, which is statistically insignificant.

The funniest thing would be if in two years the selection committee chose Porper instead of yourself to play on the team, simply based on rating ignoring all other factors like you are requesting now. This seems to be your request just use numbers and ignore everything else.

Similarily, if you are selected by committee in two years and you are lower rated then players that are not chosen, I hope you will have the integrity to turn down your spot. The selection committee's of the future certainly should duly note your personal views on this matter.
                Last edited by Duncan Smith; Saturday, 29th May, 2010, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                  We can debate all day whether age is an appropriate criteria but this appears to be a rebuilding year and that factor suggests to me sending a younger team this year is not all that bad an idea.
                  You almost make me regret having turn down my invitation... Very few successful sport teams are made only of youth, or alternatively only of experience. Both are needed.

Comment

Just making this look a bit more readable.

Code:
                    Final Rating Selection List – Can. National Team

Players		       Title FIDE CFCR Avrg Games Eli P  Why Not Eligible

Hebert Jean            IM    2426 2494 2460 >20   ***Already Qualified***
                    Spraggett Kevin        GM    2606 2622 2614 >20   Yes 1
                    Bluvshtein Mark        GM    2583 2634 2609 >20   Yes 2
                    Lesiege Alexandre      GM    2528 2577 2553   0   No  3  Not enough games
                    Tyomkin Dimitri        GM    2497 2570 2534   0   No  4  Not enough games
                    Gerzhoy Leonid         IM    2469 2590 2530 >20   Yes 5
                    Charbonneau Pascal     GM    2513 2520 2517  14   Yes 6
                    Samsonkin Artem        IM    2406 2624 2515 >20   Yes 7
                    Porper Edward          IM    2448 2556 2502 >20   Yes 8
                    Roussel-Roozmon Thomas IM    2489 2504 2497 >20   Yes 9
                    Zugic Igor             IM    2462 2516 2489   0   No  10 Not enough games
                    Krnan Tomas            IM    2439 2534 2487  14   Yes 11
                    Noritsyn Nikolay       IM    2403 2564 2484 >20   Yes 12
                    Hansen Eric            FM    2423 2518 2471 >20   Yes 13
                    Teplitsky Yan          IM    2448 2466 2457   0   No  14 Not enough games
                    Quan Zhe               IM    2421 2465 2443  14   Yes 15

Comment

Blended rating is a criteria.

The number of games played is also a criteria. If the team was chosen based on rating without any regard to "mere" games played in the period, the selections might well have been different.

I attended the 50th anniversary of the Scarborough chess club about a week ago. It was nice. They had a nice summary of the club over the decades, right down to the two-four on Sundays. They gave out the trophies for the club championship and so forth. Good looking trophies. I liked the cake as well. Maybe I'll drop by for their 60th annivesary.

I always liked trophies rather than money prizes. With trophy prizes I always felt the players came for the competition and glory. With money prizes players come for the money and the same ones seem to win most of the time while the number of entrants falls.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The fact that you and several other veterans turned down their invitation is a given. There is no debate to be had there. So now a team must be chosen. What I am very clearly saying is in this situation a bias towards youth is very, very smart planning.

But I'll give you some benefit of a doubt and invite you to select a team with more experience. Players must meet eligibility requirements and be interested in playing.

ps If I was to go into a discussion of sports teams the fact is many dynasties result from teams rebuilding through the draft and putting
                        up with some lean years playing their young players. Much too big a topic but I would say this approach is the best approach for teams
                        with limited resources.
                        Last edited by Duncan Smith; Saturday, 29th May, 2010, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
                          I don't think that Edward Porper wants to go this year, but he told me that he would be interested in future years. In any case if he should have been selected he should be given a chance to properly decline the invitation!
                          If Porper and Krnan decline, in addition to those who have already declined, you get the announced team, all by rating, in accordance with the 1994 precedent. Let's call it the Indirect Method of selection. In most countries, declining such an opportunity would be worth at least a norm opportunity.

Comment

Has any member of the CFC Executive answered the question yet as to whether or not the rukes were followed when the Olympiad teams were chosen?

Comment

Has any member of the CFC Executive answered the question yet as to whether or not the rukes were followed when the Olympiad teams were chosen?
                              In short, NO. This stuff shouldn't be rocket science, yet it seems to happen *every year*. Exactly how hard is it to produce a clear explanation of the procedure? Unfortunately we get lots of legalese and very little common sense. Moreover, the "process" seems to keep tripping over issues that have been encountered many times in the past. Those who do not learn from mistakes....

Steve

P.S. I don't have a problem with the team as it is constituted and my current understanding is that Mr. Porper would likely have declined this year, but at the moment it does not look like he was treated fairly.

Comment

• Follow the rukes!

I also looked at the CFC board and AFAICS, no. The closest we've seen is this from Ilia Bluvshtein:
                                In accordance with the CFC Handbook, Kevin S, Mark B, and Leonid G were selected by rating, Jean H was invited as Canadian Champion, and Pascal S was chosen by the Selection Committee. After Kevin, Jean, and Pascal declined, Thomas R, Artem S, and Nikolay N were chosen by the Selection Committee.
                                but that doesn't make sense in terms of various versions of the rules which have been circulated in this thread. AFAICT, all specify 1 (one) to be chosen by the Selection Committee. In another thread, Igor Zugic advised us that the first name (of only three) on the Selection Committee (of which he and Ron Livshits were the members) list was indeed Pascal Charbonneau. Since Pascal subsequently declined, by the 1994 precedent, all five team members would come from the rating list.

This is the kind of situation that often occasions a thorough discussion in the Assembly (of Governors). But I am not a member of that august body.

The best exit may be to induce Porper and Krnan to decline the invitations which they should have received, thus rectifying the announced selection.

Comment

Working...
                                X