Olympic Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Olympic Team - Selection " Interpretation " of the Handbook

I think that IF there is no specific Handbook section dealing with this issue of " declines " ( as opposed to withdrawals ), the spirit of the initial selection process should be honoured - the bulk by rating.

So if as here, the Canadian Champion declines, the committee should go to the next highest player eligible. If those by rating decline, then the committee should go to the next highest player eligible. If the wildcard discretionary selection of the Selection Committee declines, then the Committee gets another substitute wildcard choice ( this almost reads as if it could be made a Handbook Section ! ).

Please indicate if you agree with me , or not, and why.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Thursday, 27th May, 2010, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Re: Olympic Team

Hi Tony. I thought Maurice Smith was several months into a project to clean up and update the Handbook. Perhaps he could shed some light on this.
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Hi Peter:

Kerry Liles is the one-person Handbook Updating Subcommittee now. He has posted elsewhere that Maurice gave all the updating changes to Gerry Litchfield, and Gerry advises that all changes are now in the CFC Website Handbook. And there have not yet been any motions/vote results that have subsequently required Handbook amendments. As soon as there are, Kerry will be on it, with Gerry, to immediately update the website Handbook.

Thanks to Kerry for coming forward and volunteering to take on this rather important, but rather thankless, task. Kerry reports to the Procedures' Committee ( myself as chair; the other member is President Eric Van Dusen ).

Bob
        Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Thursday, 27th May, 2010, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
          I think that IF there is no specific Handbook section dealing with this issue of " declines " ( as opposed to withdrawals ), the spirit of the initial selection process should be honoured - the bulk by rating.

So if as here, the Canadian Champion declines, the committee should go to the next highest player eligible. If those by rating decline, then the committee should go to the next highest player eligible. If the wildcard discretionary selection of the Selection Committee declines, then the Committee gets another substitute wildcard choice ( this almost reads as if it could be made a Handbook Section ! ).

Bob
          I certainly agree with using the rating list and the committee only being allowed to replace their own selection with another if that selection declines.

Isn't your suggestion probably the legally correct one under the current rules if someone passed over were to seek damages?
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi Peter:

Kerry Liles is the one-person Handbook Updating Subcommittee now. He has posted elsewhere that Maurice gave all the updating changes to Gerry Litchfield, and Gerry advises that all changes are now in the CFC Website Handbook. And there have not yet been any motions/vote results that have subsequently required Handbook amendments. As soon as there are, Kerry will be on it, with Gerry, to immediately update the website Handbook.

Thanks to Kerry for coming forward and volunteering to take on this rather important, but rather thankless, task. Kerry reports to the Procedures' Committee ( myself as chair; the other member is President Eric Van Dusen ).

Bob
            All I have to do is wait until someone tells me what the section should say... :)
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              Isn't your suggestion probably the legally correct one under the current rules if someone passed over were to seek damages?
              I wonder how much "damage" would be granted by a judge to someone unfairly prevented from being sent for two weeks to Siberia without any income... :) On that front the CFC has little to worry about; no sane individual will actually sue the CFC in such circumstances.

But anyways that does not make the CFC look any better. Every second year for half a century, the same problems about applying and making rules to select olympiad teams return. It is not as if it was a surprise thing that no one could foresee. And every time a problem occurs, a player loses through no fault of his own.

In the rest of the world, over 100 countries send teams to the chess olympiad every second year without major problems. Has anybody in the CFC ever had the idea to look at the selection rules of some of these countries to make our own more effective and more complete ? Probably not, because here we like to do things our way, regardless if it is working or not.

Canadian chess has to open up to what and how they do things in developped chess countries like Holland, Germany, France and others. Otherwise we keep trying to reinvent the wheel. Without much success.

Comment

Instead of wild speculation and innuendo, why doesn't someone just contact someone with the answers as to why certain people were invited and not other certain people?
                Christopher Mallon
                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Re: Olympic Team - Relevant Handbook Selection Sections

It appears the part about what happens when a player declines the invitation was deleted when the section was last redone? Or at some other time? Or perhaps was never there in the first place?

In any case strictly speaking it appears that no rules were broken. Personally, I would like to see it go down the rating list when someone declines an invitation (Except perhaps in the case of the Selection Committee's selection declining).

Of course I'd also like to see the current 10 CFC/FIDE rated game rule replaced by a 15 or 20 games played in Canada rule with matches not counting.
                  Christopher Mallon
                  FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                    It appears from the above the selection committee could only choose one player. The rating list took precedence for replacement when players declined their invitation.

From my reading, the only player the selection committee appears to have been able to replace by selection was the one they originally selected and who declined.
                    Thanks for making my point Gary. It appears that the CFC failed to follow their own rules. Has this ever happened before?!

The CFC may have sent an email to Mr. Porper and without even knowing if the email was received, took Mr. Porper's silence as "no, I will not play", then selected another player. They did not try to contact him by any other means (all they had to do is contact me for example).

Perhaps Ilya or the members of the selection committee could comment as to why Mr. Porper was overlooked.

Comment

• Re: Olympic Team - Selection " Interpretation " of the Handbook

Bob
                      The part in bold is probably wrong.

The precedent from 1994 is that if the selected player declines, that's it, there is no alternative selection, it goes back to the rating list. In 1994, the selection committee chose Ron Livshits (knowing that he probably could not play in the Olympiad, but wanting to make a statement about his talent) and at the same time also selected an older alternate who also did well in the Canadian Closed. But when Ron as expected declined, the next spot went to Tom O'Donnell from the rating list. It was not what the Selection Committee had intended, but some old duffer from the wet coast was spared the bitterly cold Moscow winter weather.

Exact wording of the rules is more important than precedent, but when there is doubt ....

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                        Canadian chess has to open up to what and how they do things in developped chess countries like Holland, Germany, France and others. Otherwise we keep trying to reinvent the wheel. Without much success.
                        I remember that for the 1974 Olympiad, the CFC Governors approved the same method as Sweden used and perhaps still uses. In fact, I was sitting next to Zvonko Vranesic when he proposed it at the 1973 Annual Meeting. It was clear and simple--and turned out to be the most acrimonious and destructive of all the Olympiad scuffles.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be

Comment

• Re: Olympic Team

I believe Australia chooses their teams entirely via a 6-person selection committee (if I'm reading their chat board correctly). Those who were interested in being team members voiced their interest prior to a certain date, and the committee did the rest.

After the selections are announced, an appeal process is available ($200 deposit - refundable if successful).

One of the threads on the subject:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=10713

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry
                            some old duffer from the wet coast was spared the bitterly cold Moscow winter weather.
                            lol. You've been too long away from the Canadian Prairies. Moscow is the sun belt compared to, say, Winnipeg, etc.
                            Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

• Re: Olympic Team

Originally posted by Ilia Bluvshtein View Post
                              In accordance with the CFC Handbook, Kevin S, Mark B, and Leonid G were selected by rating, Jean H was invited as Canadian Champion, and Pascal S was chosen by the Selection Committee. After Kevin, Jean, and Pascal declined, Thomas R, Artem S, and Nikolay N were chosen by the Selection Committee.
                              In 1994, the Selection Committee's (alternative) choice was replaced by a player from the Rating List. So the rules allowed them to select 1 body, their maximum, but because their first choice couldn't go, they got zero bodies. In 2010, the rules again allow the selection committee to choose 1 body, but instead they choose 3. What The Fredericton?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great team, with youth on its side. The youth angle could even have been improved by the selection of a western player. Youth is a big plus at the Olympiad because of the schedule and time control... But I'm still to be convinced that the selection is in accordance with rules. At issue is the credibility both of the process and, yet again, of the national organization.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                                lol. You've been too long away from the Canadian Prairies. Moscow is the sun belt compared to, say, Winnipeg, etc.
                                But it's a dry cold. The team photo on the cover of that CCE looked decidedly damp.

I was six years old, and remember the snow reaching above the windows and doors, they had to build tunnels. But the street we lived on was swallowed up in urban redevelopment and no longer exists, so maybe it was all a dream, maybe I never lived in Winnipeg at all ...

And Winnipeg gets more sun than where we're living now, buddy boy.

Comment

Working...
                                X