Chess Insight from the Great Paul Bonham...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chess Insight from the Great Paul Bonham...

Originally posted by Adam Cormier View Post
    When did I say I limit myself to only one side? Surely there are other news organization besides Fox on the left. I prefer unbiased opinions most of all, but it is becoming harder and harder to find these. I also watch CNN for most of my news Gary and I believe they are a professional and accurate news station.
    I think you are mixing up left and right. Fox is right. To rephrase, Fox is on the right. :)

Next, I don't watch CNN for most of my news. Only the times when there is something of great interest in the U.S. Mostly their politics are boring.

I'm watching what I'll call an "ecological disaster" from a blown out well. I don't see the same picketers or groups complaing as there were about the duck at one of our oil sand companies. Have you noticed it? It's beyond pollution.

They show people complaining about BP and the slow progress being made. Still, you don't see many complaining about the economic benefits from the drilling and offshore oil industry. Those good paying jobs on the rigs and onshore spinoff jobs.

The U.S. government takes a royalty as far as I know. Must be at least 20%. It's like ownership. Why don't they mention this partnership? How about the oversight. When I worked with natural gas I had an inspector from the Federal government here in Canada who came out and checked the installations I maintained. I haven't heard the American government had anyone on board that rig.

It's not enough to watch. Be critical.

I think the tries they have been making are because the government is telling them to do something. While I hope they succeed I don't expect anything before the relief wells are finished.

It seems to me they might have hit a grand daddy of oil fields. Hard to think they won't drill another well close after this one is plugged.

It's not a surprise this has happened. Only that it took so long. I doubt you'll read that.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

yeah sorry Fox is obviously conservative and on the right, I got confused with left and right for a second there.

I find it particularly disheartening that America just can't seem to fix this oil spill. All these 'solutions' they keep finding are constantly failing. Maybe they should just do what the Russians say and Nuke it.
      University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Cormier View Post
        yeah sorry Fox is obviously conservative and on the right, I got confused with left and right for a second there.

I find it particularly disheartening that America just can't seem to fix this oil spill. All these 'solutions' they keep finding are constantly failing. Maybe they should just do what the Russians say and Nuke it.
        I think the Americans are doing all they are able to do to fix the problem. I don't like the newest try because once they cut off the riser the oil flow will be more. Then if the try doesn't work the well will be spilling more oil into the ocean. The fix is the relief well they are drilling but it will take months to complete. They are drilling through very hard rock.

I don't like the idea of using a Nuke. That was never a sure fix and I think it's being admitted it was only successful 80% of the time. Who knows the real figure. What would worry me about using a Nuke is it might split the rock for a quarter of a mile or more and then it would not be possible to fix such a large leak. Also, how much pollution would a Nuke add to the problem and would the workers be willing to work in the area after such a blast?

The U.S. has at least one of the best blowout repair companies in the world.

These are only my thoughts from what I have read and the science I know. I have never even seen such an oil well blowout.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Jon Stewart had a funny bit on how they were just rearranging letters for their fixing policies names.
          TOP HAT
          HOT TAP

80% sounds better then the current success rate on this oil spill.
          University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Working...
          X