2011 Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2011 Predictions

It wasn't that we lost where I'd imagine fans will be disappointed. It was how we lost. We were ahead 3-0 in the third period. The play got scrambly the opponents scored 5 goals.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Sullivan View Post
      In the interest of balance, this is what GM Suba had to say about Kevin in the first chapter of his new edition of Dynamic Chess Strategy:

"The former candidate, GM and GP (i.e.
      a representative of an endangered spe -
      cies called Gentlemanibus Professionalis)
      Kevin Spraggett ..."
      Isn't Suba the GM that thinks black is better because he moves second?
      Seems Suba's view for Spraggett isn't mainstream either.

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
        devils go on a tear starting tonight, defying all odds by making the playoffs and winning the stanley cup
        timing was a bit off but i totes called that shit
        everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

timing was a bit off but i totes called that shit

Congratulations to the New Jersey Devils. Joy fills the Hockey Community like honey fills a beehive.

They have reached the success of the Islanders.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The Ottawa Senators have managed to *catch* New Jersey, I noticed. :p
            However, for a few years I've been a Montreal fan :p after decades of being far too loyal to the Leafs.
            Once the Leafs missed the playoffs three years in a row, which they haven't since being the St. Pats, enough was enough.
            I've lost count of how many times in a row it's been by now.
            After dumping the Leafs, I went shopping for an Eastern Canadian team to root for, and soon eliminated the Senators.

On political matters, I've learned there's a new party in Canada, the Coffee Party. :)
            Here's a link:

http://notyourtypicaladvocate.wordpr...rty-of-canada/

The name reminds me of my thread concerning my proposal for a(n Iced Tea) Party platform - interested viewers can do a search.

Meanwhile, on the Ontario front, the provincial Cons continue to shoot themselves in the foot, this time flip-flopping on the Health Care tax:

http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/life...-of-health-tax
            Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
            Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

The only thing I really know about the Ottawa Senators is Carrie Underwood comes to see them, for some unknown reason. :)

It's always nice to see new political parties, I guess. I don't keep track of them because I don't vote for them. In our first past the post system they have little chance of getting much more than a bit of publicity.

The next Ontario election won't likely turn on the things you pointed out. The Liberals have to run on their record of taxation, management of the electrical system, HST and the ability of the people to afford another 4 years of the same.

This has to be brutal on pensioners.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                It's always nice to see new political parties, I guess. I don't keep track of them because I don't vote for them. In our first past the post system they have little chance of getting much more than a bit of publicity.
                The first past the post system normally beats the proportional representation system, in my opinion, and apparently in most Canadians' opinion, since they voted against it when it was once on the Federal ballot some years ago.

There are at least three problems with proportional rep.:
                1) Fewer majority governments over time, which can often be a bad thing, say if things urgently need to get done. Instead with proportional rep. you can have endless 'Pizza Parliments' with minority governments, as in Italy.

2) Taking the example of Isreal's Parliament, we see that one or more parties (sometimes that could be seen as extreme) can have a very small number of seats, and yet hold the balance of power. Another effect of 'Pizza Parliment'.

3) Taking the example of 1930s Germany, an extremist party can gain a foothold more easily in a 'Pizza Parliament', then start swinging deals etc. until it actually gains power.

In the case of First Past The Post as it stands in our country, we happen to have an anomoly where minority governments are now also likely to be normal, because of the existence of the Bloc at the Federal level, which either should never have been allowed, or at least the Bloc should have been disbarred after it in effect broke its oath of convenience to Canada's Parliament by subsequently swearing an oath only to Quebec soon after. Plus, imagine if every province had its own version of the Bloc.

The next Ontario election won't likely turn on the things you pointed out. The Liberals have to run on their record of taxation, management of the electrical system, HST and the ability of the people to afford another 4 years of the same.

This has to be brutal on pensioners.
                The Liberals by all rights should lose, of course, but don't discount the power of Dalton's lies and tricks, especially on any voters who haven't been personally affected that badly as yet, and above all the totally flacid effort (to date) put forward by the provincial PCs. If nothing else, many people may park their vote with the NDP, which has a better leader. Then Dalton may salvage a minority government as a result.
                Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

I think I'll pass on Quebec and World politics. Today I'm working on Inner Galactic politics. :)
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                    However, for a few years I've been a Montreal fan :p after decades of being far too loyal to the Leafs.
                    Once the Leafs missed the playoffs three years in a row, which they haven't since being the St. Pats, enough was enough.
                    that's straight up one of the most disgusting things i've ever read. abandoning your favourite team during a rough stretch is literally worse than child abuse. i can't wait until the devils have a string of non-playoff years just so i can continue following them as intently as i do now and feel superior to fair-weather fans such as yourself

ruben, carrie underwood will no longer be going to sens games. you must be heartbroken
                    everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

ruben, carrie underwood will no longer be going to sens games. you must be heartbroken
                      The Senators traded Carrie Underwood? What are they thinking??
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                        Plus, imagine if every province had its own version of the Bloc.
                        At least we're doing better than Belgium:
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Be...ment_formation

Comment

The Senators traded Carrie Underwood? What are they thinking??
                          actually they traded her girlfriend

Comment

Working...
                          X