CFC Presidential Election (from Fees thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Executive Elections - Early Public Declarations - Good?

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
    I didn't know there was an election coming until this thread started. Were potential candidates aware of the opening and when it would occur?
    The CFC Annual Meeting occurs every year during the Canadian Open. The Executive is voted on at that time. One year terms.

Last year at this time we (the CFC Governors and membership) had announced candidates to consider for each position.

Comment

Re: Executive Elections - Early Public Declarations - Good?

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
      ... What happens if the Executive cannot be filled?? I think this time around we have to consider that a real possibility...
      Remember Pat Paulsen of The Smothers Brothers' Comedy Hour? It's time to reflect on his lampoon of LBJ's retirement announcement:
      If nominated, I will not run. If elected, I will not serve.
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Re: CFC Presidential Election (from Fees thread)

This thread repeats itself every year at this time, with the same people trooping out the same stuff! Some one said....

With 1800 or so members, and 60 governors........

If I could turn that around a little, that is a very small gene pool! Even if someone plausible clambers out of the pool, the rest of the pool will beat them back pretty quickly! Sorry, but them's the facts.
        Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by fred harvey View Post
          This thread repeats itself every year at this time, with the same people trooping out the same stuff! Some one said....

If I could turn that around a little, that is a very small gene pool! Even if someone plausible clambers out of the pool, the rest of the pool will beat them back pretty quickly! Sorry, but them's the facts.
          I don't know if that's necessarily the case. A lot of the beat down comes from non-members and the vocal fringe.

Comment

Originally posted by fred harvey View Post

In 2004 the membership was over 2700. That's around 50% more than now.

Are you suggesting chess players aren't the fastest swimmers in your gene pool model?

Click Here...
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
              A lot of the beat down comes from non-members and the vocal fringe.
              Would you supply a couple of examples for debate?
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                You might be interested in older stats: http://www.chess.ca/Gls/99-00GL1.pdf
                CFC Membership As of October 31.
                Code:
                      1993  1994  1995  1996  1997  1998  1999
                Total 3,006 3,288 3,429 3,489 3,356 3,254 3,203
                You may look through other GLs #ones for reports by Office.

Comment

I looked at the GL you linked. They seem to focus on membership and trying to increase the level.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Gary Ruben asked: What kind of membership model do you think would build the membership?

Ken replies: In essence, cast a wider net and have lower fees. Chess is played in schools, libraries, community centres, senior citizens complexes etc. outside of the auspices of the CFC. Make it easy to bring them into to the fold, inexpensively.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                      Would you supply a couple of examples for debate?
                      I'm not interested in debating that. Other members can come forward if they want to complain.

Comment

Spraggett claims to have found a candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                          Gary Ruben asked: What kind of membership model do you think would build the membership?

Ken replies: In essence, cast a wider net and have lower fees. Chess is played in schools, libraries, community centres, senior citizens complexes etc. outside of the auspices of the CFC. Make it easy to bring them into to the fold, inexpensively.
                          Right on. There's easily 10000 Canadians (mostly children) who play chess tournaments every year. If you wanted more members, it's mainly a matter of getting sign up. With the print magazine gone, there's no longer a significant per-person cost for membership so somebody should figure a scheme that increases members dramatically, lowering membership rates, yet increasing revenue.

Comment

Maybe I should stand :). Then all those opposed to me would have to stand and we would have en election.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                              Spraggett claims to have found a candidate.
                              Is he keeping this candidate in the same location as his big 5-part report on what's wrong with Canadian Chess that is certainly (that means for-sure!) coming out in September 2010?
                              Christopher Mallon
                              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Read his blog if you dare, Chris.

Comment

Working...
                                X