Why CFC denying talented juniors to represent CANADA at World Stage???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why CFC denying talented juniors to represent CANADA at World Stage???

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    He wasn't talking about "CFC general rules in general" he was talking about the specific rule in question. It's a nice, simple, yes/no question.
    Even we should talk about the specific ruling done by Execs :p

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail Egorov View Post
      ‘The CFC set out certian rules’ – is this where are talking about the specific rule? Please explain you logic to us Chris.

CFC also have not answered few question regarding this issue, and decided to remain silent. Instead asking counter questions.
      Mikhail: It's not the policy of the CFC to deal with serious issues like this on a forum. Having said that, I think I have outlined our position quite clearly on the matter.

I suggested to you that a motion by a governor to add her to the team on some kind of compassionate grounds, to be considered at the Quarterly meeting, would have been your best bet.

Comment

First lets not talk about CFC general rules in general and not switch topic here. Here we are talking about ONE specific rule. NOT all CFC rules!
        Sorry - let me restate since I was overly general.

The CFC made a clear rule that attendance to WYCC was dependent on first attending CYCC, and that failure to attend CYCC would mean no WYCC. They then communicated this to the players in question, who understood it and made their decision to go to PanAm instead.

Is that correct?

Comment

This was the stupidest decision ever made by CFC. What if one of the 3 players came 1st at PanAm and qualify for WYCC according to FIDE rule?

Comment

Ok. Let's clarify things again.

1) There is a rule in place that requires players to attend the CYCC to go to the WYCC.

2) What Mikhail and like minded people are arguing is that the rule should have been interpreted so their attending the Pan-Am's were an exceptional circumstance as outlined in the rule. Having a sufficiently high rating, in this case would qualify the player in question directly to the WYCC.

3) The CFC made it very clear that attending the Pan-Am's wasn't going to be considered an exceptional circumstance. Some players decided not to go at that stage. It would seem to me that any players who went should have made a protest agianst the ruling at that time, should they have felt it unfair or mis-applied.

At least two Governors have come forward to state that Gillanders & Barron clearly made a bad decision in applying or not applying the exceptional circumstances decision and it should now be reversed. There are probably others that might have sympathy for the situation, but feel that the ruling has been made and we move on. Obviously the third camp consists of those who agreed with the original ruling.

As this was clearly a decision at the Executive level (application of the rules in force), a lot of Governors only found out about this whole situation when Mikhail started his campaign. This whole situation might have played out differently should a protest had come forward at the time of the ruling.
            Last edited by Fred McKim; Monday, 17th October, 2011, 10:00 AM. Reason: modified last sentence for meaning.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
              Sorry - let me restate since I was overly general.

The CFC made a clear rule that attendance to WYCC was dependent on first attending CYCC, and that failure to attend CYCC would mean no WYCC. They then communicated this to the players in question, who understood it and made their decision to go to PanAm instead.

Is that correct?
              Like I said CFC is expecting their questions answered, but does not wish to answer when questions are asked towards CFC.

Is it fair that Canadian talented juniors gets panelized by CFC? Is it their fault?

Comment

Like I said CFC is expecting their questions answered, but does not wish to answer when questions are asked towards CFC.

Is it fair that Canadian talented juniors gets panelized by CFC? Is it their fault?
                I don't think David is asking questions on behalf of the CFC - I believe he is simply trying to understand this and several other threads about this situation.

So, David, the answer to your question is 'yes'. The player in question (and her parent(s)) chose the PanAm tournament with full knowledge that they were giving up chance to go to WYCC; upon returning, wanted to go to WYCC anyway...
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                  The player in question (and her parent(s)) chose the PanAm tournament with full knowledge that they were giving up chance to go to WYCC; upon returning, wanted to go to WYCC anyway...
                  This answer coming from only CFC perspective.

CFC gave them a choice, either one or the other. Before the new rule was applied, players had a chance to go to both. Now they were forced top pick. Not like CFC gave players a
                  Chance: both, one or the other. Question is: WHY did CFC did that? The answer is, as we all know: because Pan-American organizers scheduled their tournament on CYCC date.

Is CFC decision fair to Canadian Junior? Answer is probably: No.

Comment

Fred,

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                    Having a sufficiently high rating, in this case would qualify the player in question directly to the WYCC.
                    So CFC is now discriminating talented juniors with low rating. Thank you for letting general public know that.

Mr. Gillanders and Mr. Barron both shut down our appeal, before it was even reviewed. Mr. Barron rejected an appear immediately in May of 2011, at the Canadian Closed. Mr. Gillanders rejected an appeal immediately in September, 2011.

The CFC made it very clear that attending the Pan-Am's wasn't going to be considered an exceptional circumstance.

3) The CFC made it very clear that attending the Pan-Am's wasn't going to be considered an exceptional circumstance.
                    CFC made a ‘dictatorial decision’, instead of asking CFC members, parents and juniors themselves.
                    This is what we want to do? Do you guys agree with us, since it is effecting you directly.

It made it to get back at Pan-American organizers.

Comment

Mikhail: It's not the policy of the CFC to deal with serious issues like this on a forum. Having said that, I think I have outlined our position quite clearly on the matter.
                      I agree with the decision.

I spent a decade organizing for the CCCA and another decade tournament directing for the ICCF. An organizer who can not be depended on to follow the rules so all the players know where they stand quickly loses control of his position and loses the respect of the players and members.

So simple is chess organizing.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

... So, David, the answer to your question is 'yes'. The player in question (and her parent(s)) chose the PanAm tournament with full knowledge that they were giving up chance to go to WYCC; upon returning, wanted to go to WYCC anyway...
                        The problem, as Ken Craft pointed out earlier, was the manner in which the 'rule' was applied; that is (my interpretation), in a heavy-handed way with the CFC placing their interests (their sudden fascination with trying to restore the integrity of a tournament with a sad history) above the interests of a child.

Why don't they scrap the CYCC, since its main purpose seems to be to serve as a cash grab, and make WYCC selections by rating, similar to the Olympiad teams?
                        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                          Why don't they scrap the CYCC, since its main purpose seems to be to serve as a cash grab, and make WYCC selections by rating, similar to the Olympiad teams?
                          It seems to me to be the wrong way to go. For the majority it will simply eliminate an event which gives them a valuable competitive opportunity and a chance to compete and see how they compare to others in their age group. One less rated event which makes me wonder where reliable ratings for the WYCC will come from.

The less said about he last Olympiad team the better.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The problem, as Ken Craft pointed out earlier, was the manner in which the 'rule' was applied; that is (my interpretation), in a heavy-handed way with the CFC placing their interests (their sudden fascination with trying to restore the integrity of a tournament with a sad history) above the interests of a child.

As Gary has already posted in this thread, I also worried about the availability of rated events to permit selection based on rating. Obviously, this would give a huge advantage to juniors already in a player rich area like Toronto or Vancouver etc.

Replacing a single nation-wide CYCC with a few regional ones might be reasonable, but it seems hard enough to organize even one event.

I can't fault the CFC executive for (finally!) trying to at least live by their own rules (even if many people seem to think the rules are flawed, they are, in fact, the rules). [The CFC has forever been criticized for not following their own rules] - it is ironic that the one time they do so, they are hammered for that.

Of course, there is a difference in opinion as to what constitutes an 'extraordinary circumstance', but again, the decision was made and the ground rules were stated before anyone went to the PanAm tournament and [even more importantly] the situation was made crystal clear and was even agreed to by those involved!!

The time for an appeal is long past. There is a mechanism to change the rules (soon to be an annual occurrence I am sure as each crop of juniors comes along) - those who don't like the rule or have a better way to word it and enforce it are free to propose the changes.
                            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

It is necessary to select one and only child (per age group and gender) to be called "an official representative" with some benefits given by WYCC organizers. (an analogy is a Closed winner)

Comment

The following CFC is criticized in this case NOT for following the rules, but putting personal interests ahead of it’s customers. In this particular case, BEST customers:
                                youth and juniors.

The time for an appeal is long past.
                                Youth Co-ordinator Mr. Barron stated, when this issued was raised in May that Canada
                                will not be sending a team period and END of discussion. So appeal was shut down, almost instantly.

Like I pointed before, we would not have this discussion, if both tournaments were organized on different dates.

So, who’s fault is it in this case? I doubt it is on the appealing side!

Comment

Working...
                                X