Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wycc 2011

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    1. The executive as far as I am aware, has unanimously backed the then Youth Coordinator, Michael Barron, in his presentation of the advance ruling re exceptions for the top three rated, that playing in the Pan-American YCC would NOT be considered an " extraordinary " cirucmstance for not playing in the CYCC. Therefore, such junior would not play on the Can. WYCC team.

9. I think the advance ruling is wrong. Playing in the Pan-Am's or any international tournament, representing Canada, that conflicts with the CYCC should be an exception for the top three rated.

Thanks for your reply, Bob. I agree that the advance ruling was wrong. List as many excuses as you like, but the sad thing is that no one (CFC exec's & gov's) had the balls to put it right. And this from an organization that, if I'm to believe other posters on this board, can't even make a proper accounting for the exorbitant entry fees that they soak CYCC entrants for each year.

I'm sure I won't be the only person watching in future to make sure that the CFC rigidly enforces all of its rules.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

The Governors did not have the authority to put it right, Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
        Is anything being done about that? Perhaps a balance of power amendment?

Unfortunately, the CFC has to continuously battle the apathy of a very large number of "Governors in name only" ...
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

To the best of my knowledge Bob A will be bringing something forward to deal with the situation. If it is the right motion, I'll be more than happy to support it. I have stated before my position on the Executive's decision and really have no appetite to revisit that debate at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
            Is anything being done about that? Perhaps a balance of power amendment?

Unfortunately, the CFC has to continuously battle the apathy of a very large number of "Governors in name only" ...
            Any governor could have put forward a motion to add Dora to the team under
            special and exceptional circumstances. There was both a new CFC President and Youth Co-ordinator from when the original decision was made. Chris Mallon and I both advised Mikhail Egorov of this possibility. There were a few days left before the start of the Governors Meeting in Oct. It just didn't happen. I think we can assume that the majority of the Governors didn't feel strongly enough to get involved.

I really get tired of people that do nothing but spend their time talking and complaining. It's not like government, just about everybody involved in Chess in Canada is doing it on a volunteer basis, and trying their best.
            Last edited by Fred McKim; Wednesday, 7th December, 2011, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Any Governor could have brought forward a motion but it would have been ultra vires. I'm not in the habit of bringing forward ultra vires motions. This decision rested solely with the executive.

Comment

Any Governor could have brought forward a motion but it would have been ultra vires. I'm not in the habit of bringing forward ultra vires motions. This decision rested solely with the executive.
                Well, that's your opinion, Ken. Obviously an Ex-President and I both thought otherwise.

Comment

You show me where in the regulations it gives the Governors the power to determine the composition of the WYCC team, and then I will concede that you are correct. Just because others "think" a motion is intra vires does not make it so.

Comment

2. This ruling was not appealed by any aggrieved party nor any governor.
                    Bob,

As I pointed out in an earlier post, the CFC lacks a formal appeal process. So to say that no one appealed the decision is rather disingenuous. Begging a governor to file some sort of motion can't count as an appeal process.

A well crafted appeal process could go a long way to reducing the acrimony that so often arises after CFC decisions. The amount of conflict that has boiled up over this decision is unfortunate and helps no one.

Disputes and disagreements will always be with us. That is why we need processes to resolve them in an open and transparent way.

Steve

Comment

You show me where in the regulations it gives the Governors the power to determine the composition of the WYCC team, and then I will concede that you are correct. Just because others "think" a motion is intra vires does not make it so.
                      Ken: I don't have your training in Robert's Rules of Order and/or neat Latin phraseology, but, how do you know for certain, the President wouldn't have allowed such a motion to go forward ?

Would you have been the one to cry "foul" ?

Comment

Actually, I would have supported the President in ruling it out of order. Ultra vires essentially means outside of the purview of a body. I repeat the Governors do not have the authority to appoint members to the WYCC. A President allowing such a vote would not change this fact. The Executive owns this one, Fred. They and they alone had the authority to add extra players to the WYCC team.

Comment

Bob A, GTCL CFC Governor[/QUOTE]

Hi Bob,

There were a lot of problems with information you provided. I do no know where to even begin.

6. Neither Dora's mother, nor her coach, nor any governor appealed this decision, or brought a motion to the governors on this, though there was the Oct. Fall Meeting to do this before the WYCC.
                          First: It was not just little girl case, but a case of three top juniors that were not allowed to go to WYCC, because of the mess cause by CFC officials, who were running it at that time.

1. The executive as far as I am aware, has unanimously backed the then Youth Coordinator, Michael Barron, in his presentation of the advance ruling re exceptions for the top three rated, that playing in the Pan-American YCC would NOT be considered an " extraordinary " cirucmstance for not playing in the CYCC. Therefore, such junior would not play on the Can. WYCC team.
                          Second: The case was brought to CFC Youth Co-ordinator in May, who declined to review the case. I repeat it AGAIN. It was done in May of 2011. Mr. Barron had no right to decline it , because he had no authority to do so. The fact that he was allowed to do so, so CFC disorganization in the office. He also did not even bring it toward CFC board. This tells me that he either doesn’t not case about helping Youth in Canada or discriminating certain talented juniors.

9. I think the advance ruling is wrong. Playing in the Pan-Am's or any international tournament, representing Canada, that conflicts with the CYCC should be an exception for the top three rated.
                          Third: This is your opinion and closed circle of CFC officials.. Did CFC conduct a poll to general public regarding this. The answer no. So CFC failed to reach to it’s customers. There is no one to blame for this but people who were running CFC at that time, including Mr. Gillanders.

There are more other points, but I will stop, since my post is getting way too long!

Bob, I also noticed that you are thinking way too much! This is just a suggestion, but if you acted more often, including CFC officials, than most likely CFC would not have this problem or many others as well.
                          Last edited by Mikhail Egorov; Wednesday, 7th December, 2011, 03:44 PM.

Comment

But CFC Executives did, Ken.

Shame on them!

Comment

Mikhail, what is being gained by continuing to lambaste the Executive over this decision?

Comment

Good post, Steve!
                                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                                "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Working...
                                X