X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FIDE level chess in Canada

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Hi Aris:

It is not on the CFC members' Chess Chat Forum.

Click on Public Forums and you will find the forum CFC ' News ' ( In the past, Larry has asked posters not to post links to articles in the CFC forums. I don't know if this is still in effect, so I won't ). It is posted there.

Bob A
    OK, I think I found it, but I guess I cannot reply to it. It was a good idea for a post.

In the future, when posting anything about FIDE events, please feel free to refer to the Ottawa weekenders. As long as I'm doing them, at least the top section will always be rated FIDE. Feel free to also include our weblink for all EOCA tournaments, this season :
    http://www.eoca.org/htm/tournaments_2011-12.html

Thanks and regards, Aris.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
      Without the financial support of the amateur chess player, there would be no organized chess in Canada. That is the reality we all need to acknowledge.
      So, why we have so many governors and executives, if only amateur chess players are major financial supports here? The only thing we can acknowledge here, is that it is time to clean the closet here of old junk and re-organize the mess!

I find "for you there is little beyond the figures" offensive.
      Are you whining again? :D There was nothing offensive in what Jean said. It is unfortunate that you are the only one, that seems to think so.

Without the financial support of the amateur chess player, there would be no organized chess in Canada. That is the reality we all need to acknowledge.
      So managed to find major problem here, but question remains what are you prepared to do about it.
      Nothing was done to eliminate this permanent problem here. It seems that re-form failed in last 2 years to fix this mess?

Every amateur player who pays his membership dues and entry fees helps to grow the chess community. They are all precious, every one.
      It seems to us, that you are only interested in $$$. Membership and entry fees are NOT the only wait to grow the chess community. I guess you will keep failing with this approach over and over again. Just look at how FIDE, Russian Federation and other well organizations operate. :D . If you have a free minute and do some research you will realize it is not just memberships and entry fees, that drives successful organizations.  Looks like this organization is taken to dark ages. That is a sad reality.

It is not about the money, it is about the growth and health of the chess community.
      First, you say that membership and entry fees help drive chess community. Right after, you say that it is not about the money. It is obvious that you are contradicting yourself and everyone here. Now we know why chess in Canada is where it is.

I am especially enjoying teaching the beginners.
      Did you also tell the kids what methods you use to encourage them to compete at International events yet, or that part they will come later on? :D

Comment

Hi Jean:
        We'll just have to agree to disagree. I think we both have the same length of experience, though mine is " class " and yours " elite ".
        Yes, that you guys probably have same length of experice in time that is. I am just not clear about the class here. When you say class, do you refer to class 'C' here. Since I do not think we talking about class 'A' or class 'B' here. :)

Comment

And there have been others, and others coming up. Maybe the organizers might post the details here for players interested in FIDE – rated tournaments. And also the details of any past, recent FIDE-rated tournaments in order to put the record straight on this.]
          The history (and future) is documented at FIDE site:
          http://ratings.fide.com/tournament_l...de&country=CAN

You may look more than 10 years back.

(The Toronto Closed is registered for as a FIDE event too )

Comment

Bob, you definitely have more class!
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aXsEO2eKo4
            Sorry Bob, but clicking on your link just caused my computer
            to lose its internet connection, and just stay down, without even
            showing the page.

The actual cause may have been a virus or Rogers going down.

I am still curious. What is the video about?

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Zator View Post
              Sorry Bob, but clicking on your link just caused my computer
              to lose its internet connection, and just stay down, without even
              showing the page.

The actual cause may have been a virus or Rogers going down.

I am still curious. What is the video about?
              It is just a very short clip from a Rodney Dangerfield movie, the name eludes me. Anyway, Rodney goes back to college to be closer to his son. In the clip he is hitting on a college professor. When he asks her for a date, she replies "sorry, I have a class". He tries several days, but she repeats "sorry, I have a class". He finally replies "call me, when you have no class".
              The exchange between Bob and Jean reminded me of it, and I just wanted to share the laugh with yu'all.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail Egorov View Post
                It seems to us, that you are only interested in $$$.
                Well, I hope the "us" is really just you. I was hoping to convey just the opposite message.

Nevertheless, thank you for renewing your CFC membership last friday. I have forwarded your payment to the CFC office for processing. Have a nice day.

Comment

It is just a very short clip from a Rodney Dangerfield movie, the name eludes me. Anyway, Rodney goes back to college to be closer to his son. In the clip he is hitting on a college professor. When he asks her for a date, she replies "sorry, I have a class". He tries several days, but she repeats "sorry, I have a class". He finally replies "call me, when you have no class". The exchange between Bob and Jean reminded me of it, and .
                  I had not choice but to read your clip description, since I am afraid of opening up a link on my computer screen. I take it Rodney is you and college professor is Jean.

Are you implying, that you are consistently trying to hit on Jean now? … and I thought chesstalk could not sink any lower. ;)

I just wanted to share the laugh with yu'all.
                  I really hope this is not some kind of a virus that you guys cooked up lol. I do not thing anyone will want to be laughing with you after seeing their computer getting crushed!

Comment

Well, I hope the "us" is really just you. I was hoping to convey just the opposite message.
                    Hope is nice, but this is the reality. We are not leaving in a ‘hopeland’. ;)

In order to set things in the right directions, someone has to do something about and not continue keep posting message about hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                      OK, I think I found it, but I guess I cannot reply to it.
                      Hi Aris:

Not sure whether you found the CFC " News " Forum ( Discussion Board ), or the " Latest News " section on the Homepage of the CFC Website.

In either case you can reply. Look again.

If you have questions, I'll try to help you find the response process.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                        You fail to grasp that a high rated player dropping out of chess is a big loss for the community, especially if he writes, teaches and shares his knowledge and experience in many ways. All that is lost for further generations of players, especially the young and up and coming ones.
                        That was certainly true up until the Kasparov era, say.

But human mentors are less needed now, don't you think? Kids today
                        are just sparring with their engines, practicing on software like
                        Chess Hero, memorizing huge numbers of opening lines and master games,
                        and winning tournaments with much less experience than in the past.

(And judging from the recent 60 Minutes piece on him, despite claims of
                        some natural gift, I think that #1 Carlsen is another example of that.)

I still agree with tournament prizes favouring the open section however.
                        Tournaments should always reward excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail Egorov View Post
                          I really hope this is not some kind of a virus that you guys cooked up lol. I do not thing anyone will want to be laughing with you after seeing their computer getting crushed!
                          Not seeing the video, I don't get the joke either.
                          Or Bob Armstrong (not Guillanders) in the Dangerfield role either.
                          But the virus may've been caused by hijacking the posted link
                          (which connected me to an infected website), not necessarily
                          something posted on Youtube or Chesstalk.

Comment

Not seeing the video, I don't get the joke either.
                            Or Bob Armstrong (not Guillanders) in the Dangerfield role either.
                            But the virus may've been caused by hijacking the posted link
                            (which connected me to an infected website), not necessarily
                            something posted on Youtube or Chesstalk.
                            The link is fine. Do you get redirects if you search Google for antiviruses?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                              The link is fine. Do you get redirects if you search Google for antiviruses?
                              No Googling needed, as the virus checkers I
                              have already deleted the internet saboteur.

Comment

No Googling needed, as the virus checkers I
                                have already deleted the internet saboteur.
                                Good for you. Some of those re-directors are quite nasty, and requires a lot of time to be removed.

Comment

Working...
                                X