Developing Chess in 3rd World Countries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developing Chess in 3rd World Countries

It is well known that chess can be loved by people of all ages, nationalities, and genders all over the world. We enjoy a challenge, competition, and most importantly, fun. However, when it comes to developing chess in all parts of the world, there are some regions that, perhaps, cannot afford all of the opportunities chess brings.

Alo Abbey Emmanuel, is a man currently abiding in Ghana, Africa. He has been helping kids with chess for quite some time now. However, as the popularity of chess increases, so does the demand of supplies. Chess is both educational, and recreational, and I am positive that further developing chess in Ghana, could only result in a benefit for the chess world.

All children should have an equal chance to explore the wonders of chess if they please, no matter where they live. As an active chess participant, I think it would be just to help those children in Ghana so that they can reach their full potential.

I am making this thread because I have been notified that there are children in Ghana who want to learn the game of chess, but the amount of supplies is very limited. I am curious to hear the opinions of chesstalkers, and if you think it would be justified to give a lending hand. I believe we can help.

Re: Developing Chess in 3rd World Countries

Originally posted by zachary dukic View Post
    It is well known that chess can be loved by people of all ages, nationalities, and genders all over the world. We enjoy a challenge, competition, and most importantly, fun. However, when it comes to developing chess in all parts of the world, there are some regions that, perhaps, cannot afford all of the opportunities chess brings.

Alo Abbey Emmanuel, is a man currently abiding in Ghana, Africa. He has been helping kids with chess for quite some time now. However, as the popularity of chess increases, so does the demand of supplies. Chess is both educational, and recreational, and I am positive that further developing chess in Ghana, could only result in a benefit for the chess world.

All children should have an equal chance to explore the wonders of chess if they please, no matter where they live. As an active chess participant, I think it would be just to help those children in Ghana so that they can reach their full potential.

I am making this thread because I have been notified that there are children in Ghana who want to learn the game of chess, but the amount of supplies is very limited. I am curious to hear the opinions of chesstalkers, and if you think it would be justified to give a lending hand. I believe we can help.
    Hi Zachary,

The Chess'n Math Association has donated chess sets to chess organizations in Haiti a few times as well as other smaller donations to a few other countries. We have no problem donating sets to Ghana...of course the big cost is transportation...if you can overcome or minimize that...we are onside.

Larry

Comment

Re : Developing Chess in 3rd World Countries

The FQE collaborates a lot with Haiti. This week for example, a few Haitians came here to receive the FQE's arbiter exam.
      The organization also donated chess sets, demo boards and has even helped to organize and to rate tournaments.
      However, I think the FQE sent all its remaining material to Haiti and that there's not much remaining for further donations...

I guess the CFC would donate more often, since it has even its own online store.
      Last edited by Felix Dumont; Friday, 9th March, 2012, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Hi Zachary,

A wonderful post. I applaud your generous nature and desire to help out those less fortunate. FQE and CMA efforts mentioned can also be applauded. Unfortunately IMHO, the hands of the CFC executive are tied since the CFC mandate is to promote chess in Canada. However, if you were to convince the CFC Governors to approve a budget for international aid, well then....

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
          the hands of the CFC executive are tied since the CFC mandate is to promote chess in Canada.
          It is unfortunate that these does not co-respond with actual actions your are taking to back it up. In fact it shows completely opposite picture!

If, you could just follow the foot steps and help out those players and juniors that do really need the support and are less fortunate . :D

Comment

Hi Zachary,

A wonderful post. I applaud your generous nature and desire to help out those less fortunate. FQE and CMA efforts mentioned can also be applauded. Unfortunately IMHO, the hands of the CFC executive are tied since the CFC mandate is to promote chess in Canada. However, if you were to convince the CFC Governors to approve a budget for international aid, well then....
            Hi Bob,

Thank you for your kind words. My goal was to see if the CFC would be willing to make such a donation, and if enough chesstalkers had the same opinion has I have, then perhaps it would be possible to notify the CFC governors, like you said. It is very good news that CMA and FQE had aided the children in Haiti, that is the kind of thing I'm working towards.

If the CFC budget is too tight for International Aid, then perhaps it would be possible to receive feedback from Haiti. I am sure after seeing how well these kids have progressed, not only the CFC, but many other organizations would be obliged to aid Ghana, and other less fortunate countries.

Zach

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail Egorov View Post
              It is unfortunate that these does not co-respond with actual actions your are taking to back it up. In fact it shows completely opposite picture!

If, you could just follow the foot steps and help out those players and juniors that do really need the support and are less fortunate . :D
              Hi Mike,

I am well aware that the main goal of the CFC is to promote chess in Canada. However, if the CFC was willing to donate to the less fortunate countries, would that not create a buzz in Canada? Would up-coming players engage in the game more competitively, and non-players find an interest in the game? All of these possibilities are unknown, unless we take a risk and help out the countries that need it. Perhaps the USCF would also be interested in promoting chess in 3rd world countries. To me, this is a risk worth taking.

Zach

Comment

Hi Zach,

When I was executive director of the CFC a few years ago, we did send a dozen chess sets to a remote native community in Northern Ontario. The name of the community escapes me, but as I recall it had been devastated by the loss of their school. It felt good to help out, even if only in a small way.

ps. If memory serves correctly, I believe this was a joint donations with FEN (50-50). I believe Ellen actually delivered the sets to the local hockey arena.
                Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Friday, 9th March, 2012, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Hi Zach,

When I was executive director of the CFC a few years ago, we did send a dozen chess sets to a remote native community in Northern Ontario. The name of the community escapes me, but as I recall it had been devastated by the loss of their school. It felt good to help out, even if only in a small way.

ps. If memory serves correctly, I believe this was a joint donations with FEN (50-50). I believe Ellen actually delivered the sets to the local hockey arena.
                  Hi Bob,

That is fantastic news. I believe if we were to aid Ghana, then it would be beneficial to the players, and the governors, knowing that they were responsible of helping out, if even in a small way.

Zach

Comment

How much is a chess set in Ghana or closest country?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                      How much is a chess set in Ghana or closest country?
                      I don't think Ghana itself, has a a provider for chess sets, boards, clocks etc. There are African Chess Sets that can be sold, but at a much higher price than a functional, plastic chess set, for obvious reasons.

Here is a link I found when searching for chess sets in Ghana.

http://www.africancraftsmarket.com/chessboards.html

These would be expensive for most people in Canada, nevermind in Ghana. I have not found any normal chess sets in Ghana, or surrounding countries yet, but I would assume that the prices would still be too high to purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by zachary dukic View Post
                        I don't think Ghana itself, has a a provider for chess sets, boards, clocks etc. There are African Chess Sets that can be sold, but at a much higher price than a functional, plastic chess set, for obvious reasons.

Here is a link I found when searching for chess sets in Ghana.

http://www.africancraftsmarket.com/chessboards.html

These would be expensive for most people in Canada, nevermind in Ghana. I have not found any normal chess sets in Ghana, or surrounding countries yet, but I would assume that the prices would still be too high to purchase.
                        Then I would suggest that a program to teach how to make chess sets on a large scale would be more beneficial. Failing that the CFC or CMA could start a donate a chess set to Ghana program where they only charge the wholesale costs and whatever would be required to ship. They could then periodically ship sets over when enough sets have been earmarked this way. Perhaps the sets could be shipped over from a manufacturer or supplier closer to Ghana, say elsewhere in Africa or in Europe or the Middle East.

Comment

Take this initiative up yourself Mr.Zachary...

What is this telling others to do something while you do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Normand Arsenault View Post
                            Take this initiative up yourself Mr.Zachary...

What is this telling others to do something while you do nothing.
                            I am passing on a message that the number of children in Ghana that would like to learn chess is increasing. I do not intend on starting a donation committee. I'm 15, and do not have the power start something as large as that. I made this thread in hope of finding someone who DOES have the power. I was more obliged to bring this topic into the light, because I believe it is the right thing to do, not because I am looking for executives to my new organization.

Zach

Comment

Age means nothing. It is simply a number. Look at what Mrs.Yuanling has done.

Please refrain from posting on chesstalk till you have taken up this initiative yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X