Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Developing Chess in 3rd World Countries

Originally posted by Marcus Wilker View Post
    He's also been a member of the Annex Chess Club Facebook group for some time. Zach, you're passing on a message from him? What did he ask you for?
    Hi Marcus,

He was a part of the Cooperative Chess Coalition group, run by Bob Armstrong I believe. He started a group conversation with many of the people in the group, and was seeking help from Canada to see if we could send chess sets down to Ghana, so that he could help the kids learn. I offered to create a thread, and Alexandra Botez agreed that it would be a good idea. Without question, I made this thread.

Like I've said before, I believe it is the right thing to do, but we first must make sure this man isn't playing with us, (I strongly doubt he is) and we need permission from the CFC. It all seems kind of large, but I believe if this thread can be noticed by governors, then we could make it happen.

Zach

Comment

Abbey just messaged me on facebook, and brought this article to my attention.

http://monroi.com/2011-youth-chess-t...-of-ghana.html

I don't think trust with our friend from Ghana will be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
        Yes. There are not very many members in the chess federation. I have not noticed any membership drives. The federation seems to think they are short of money while the foundation is flush with cash. The tail wags the dog.

From what I saw when I was organizing correspondence chess there are many very good chess players in Quebec. I used to look through the games. If it was the same with over the board players Quebec should have had many more international titles over the board. Lost opportunities because chess organizers could not make agreements.

It's almost like a joke.
        What do you call a federation with less than 2,000 members?
        A zone.
        Hi Gary

The budget of the CFC Membership Drive Committee at the moment is nil.

The committee was able to get contact info from the CFC Executive Director for 2100+ ex-CFC members, however, back in October 2011. To the best of my knowledge, the bulk of these ex-members have been contacted by now. At the beginning of 2012, over half had been contacted, and there was a minor spike in membership levels as of December. However a fair appraisal of the results might best be made once the 1 May 2012 membership stats are released on the CFC website, by comparing the 1 May 2011 numbers.

A minor spike is better than no improvement at all, given the lack of funds allotted for a membership drive. I have proposed to the CFC President that the CFC consider asking the Foundation for loans in order to fund future membership drives, which so far he has just indicated is an interesting idea. One can always hope there will be new ideas adopted by the CFC as well that would attract new members, though they may not line up with whatever Jean himself would wish for.
        Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Saturday, 10th March, 2012, 08:16 PM. Reason: Spelling
        Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
        Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

For the curious, here's what I used as a (brief) 'pitch' of my own when contacting ex-CFC members (the other two committee members I allowed to compose their own 'pitch' to deliver to their share of our list of ex-CFC members):

Dear Mr. xxx:

The Chess Federation of Canada is contacting former members of the CFC, such as yourself, to request that you consider becoming a member once again.

The CFC puts out a monthly email newsletter for its members, which has dozens of pages. As well, we have a new website, as of July 2011, which now includes a list of local Canadian chess instructors, besides our list of Canadian chess clubs, etc.:

http://chess.ca/

Information about rates for different types of CFC membership, etc. is available on the CFC website, at the following link:

http://chess.ca/membership-rates

Should you wish to join the CFC again, please contact CFC Executive Director Gerry Litchfield at the following email address:

info@chess.ca

Regards, Kevin Pacey, Ottawa

Chess Federation of Canada Membership Drive Committee Chairman

Comment

Hi Kevin,

Like you say, a minor spike is better than nothing. Could you quantify minor?

Were any of the new members lined up with clubs or events?

Although, a membership drive budget of Zero is one hellof an idea. At least they can say they always get at least as much out of the program as they put into it.

Gary
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              Hi Kevin,

Like you say, a minor spike is better than nothing. Could you quantify minor?

Were any of the new members lined up with clubs or events?

Although, a membership drive budget of Zero is one hellof an idea. At least they can say they always get at least as much out of the program as they put into it.

Gary
              The spike in CFC membership for December 2011 was a gain of about three dozen members overall from 1 May 2011, if I recall correctly. Can't tell how many our membership drive was reponsible for.

Committee members were hoping that any ex-CFC members who elected to rejoin would not return email contact with us, but rather sign up with the CFC through Gerry. About a half a dozen people that I know of did get back to committee members (mostly me) saying they wished to rejoin, or said they would soon. We redirected them to Gerry, with any further instructions they needed. About the same number of people got back to us saying they didn't wish to rejoin, almost all being polite about it.

One gentleman rejoined, and requested to know the nearest club to him, as well as have his apparently incorrect very old CFC rating adjusted, which it was. I don't know if he was lined up with a club close enough to him for his liking. That was handled by the CFC President, I recall.

Comment

LET ME SAY THIS ABOUT THAT!
                Promoting chess in foreign countries is something FIDE should do. We have our own lack in Canada.
                Why not put together a program to send chess sets to communities in Nunavut for example? There may be a mobile library somewhere in the far north that could arrange to distribute chess sets to remote communities. If the end result were to produce one master level player for Canada would that not be worth it?
                Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Saturday, 10th March, 2012, 09:22 PM.

Comment

It's good to get those who rejoined playing again. Helps to turn them into long term members.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                    Promoting chess in foreign countries is something FIDE should do.
                    This is exactly what FIDE (Kirsan) does (to provide chess sets in particular) on a constant basis to secure the Third World countries votes. The gentleman from Ghana if he is legitimate (I would not bet a dime on it - his message to Monroi is too much preacher-like to my taste) should be redirected to FIDE.

Comment

A great many chess sets are made in the third world. As an ex-professional woodworker I can say with confidence that some of the best woodcarving is done in places with no electricity. Let local people make them and be paid for doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                        This is exactly what FIDE (Kirsan) does (to provide chess sets in particular) on a constant basis to secure the Third World countries votes. The gentleman from Ghana if he is legitimate (I would not bet a dime on it - his message to Monroi is too much preacher-like to my taste) should be redirected to FIDE.
                        Sorry to have to agree (partially) with you Jean. I sit on the FIDE Development Commission and we next meet at the end of March.

I note from the FIDE website that they are represented on FIDE by their National Sports Council and are members of the National Olympic Committee. It is possible that they already receive aid from FIDE.

If you could email me personally Zach I would appreciate it. halbond@sympatico.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                          Sorry to have to agree (partially) with you Jean. I sit on the FIDE Development Commission and we next meet at the end of March.

I note from the FIDE website that they are represented on FIDE by their National Sports Council and are members of the National Olympic Committee. It is possible that they already receive aid from FIDE.

If you could email me personally Zach I would appreciate it. halbond@sympatico.ca
                          Hi Hal,

Will do. I realize that helping Ghana may be beyond the CFC's priorities, but would it be possible to lead some of the CFC's governors to this thread, to see what they think? I'm just curious of the governors' opinions compared to chesstalkers'.

Zach

Comment

Originally posted by zachary dukic View Post
                            II'm 15, and do not have the power start something as large as that.
                            I completely agree with Norm. If you want to start something yourself and start something yourself. Don't ask someone to do it for you, especially CFC Executives!

I agree with Norm, that you should take example from Mrs Yuanling and not taking from CFC Executives. All they do is were talking about big membership drives. If they taken example from Mrs. Yanling herself, they might achieve something.:D

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                              Who exactly granted you the power to dictate to others what to do on ChessTalk? Until you have that ability I suggest you refrain from posting such drivel.
                              Who gave you the right to suggest to refrain from what should and should not be posted by anyone?

You are speaking in harsh and dictatorial manner. We were not aware, that CFC is running dictatorial system.:D

Comment

Originally posted by zachary dukic View Post
                                Hi Mike,

I am well aware that the main goal of the CFC is to promote chess in Canada. However, if the CFC was willing to donate to the less fortunate countries, would that not create a buzz in Canada? Would up-coming players engage in the game more competitively, and non-players find an interest in the game? All of these possibilities are unknown, unless we take a risk and help out the countries that need it. Perhaps the USCF would also be interested in promoting chess in 3rd world countries. To me, this is a risk worth taking.

Zach
                                Hi Zak,

Your title "Developing Chess in 3rd World Countries" is discriminating and insulting to others.

It is obvious what you saying to us: " You are leaving in 1st World country and much more superior to Ghana people." It is like going to a handicap person on a street and telling him: 'I am 15 year old kid and want to help 3rd class lever citizen."

This is harsh and insulting to others, especially when it is coming from 15 year old kid.

I suggest, if you want something done, just go ahead and do it. Do not tell everyone on chesstalk: 'This is what I like to do, but I am not doing it."

Please do not turn chesstalk into clowntalk.

You have a lot of learning to do! ;).

First, take example from Mrs. Yuanling! This should be your first step . She just did it, and did not say much about it. Others just noticed, without her announcement. Also she does not use titles such as "Developing Chess in 3rd World Citizens" either.

Until then, please leave real problem to real professional organization, such as FIDE!
                                Last edited by Mikhail Egorov; Monday, 12th March, 2012, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X