Re: Developing Chess in 3rd World Countries

Originally posted by Mikhail Egorov View Post
    We were not aware, that CFC is running dictatorial system.:D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX...eature=related

Comment

Hi Zak,

Your title "Developing Chess in 3rd World Countries" is discriminating and insulting to others.

It is obvious what you saying to us: " You are leaving in 1st World country and much more superior to Ghana people." It is like going to a handicap person on a street and telling him: 'I am 15 year old kid and want to help 3rd class lever citizen."

This is harsh and insulting to others, especially when it is coming from 15 year old kid.

I suggest, if you want something done, just go ahead and do it. Do not tell everyone on chesstalk: 'This is what I like to do, but I am not doing it."

Please do not turn chesstalk into clowntalk.

You have a lot of learning to do! ;).

First, take example from Mrs. Yuanling! This should be your first step . She just did it, and did not say much about it. Others just noticed, without her announcement. Also she does not use titles such as "Developing Chess in 3rd World Citizens" either.

Until then, please leave real problem to real professional organization, such as FIDE!
      Mikhail, your comments are ridiculous.
      IMHO, you owe Zach an apology.
      Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Monday, 12th March, 2012, 07:43 PM.

Comment

From previous experience, I am afraid to open it. Since this link is coming from you, there might be some kind of a virus in that link. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
          Mikhail, your comments are ridiculous. IMHO, you owe Zach an apology.
          Bob,

IMHO, you and other CFC Executives owing apology to juniors for what happened last year. Mr. Kitich needs to apologize to elderly for insulting them and Mr. Zach apologize to unfortunate Ghana kids for putting them down and leveling them to 3rd world county citizens with his posts!

First, I suggest you lead by example, if you want others to follow. Please write official apology. Second, you should encourage Mr. Kitich to apologize over 'happy meal' or something. Mr. Zach should do same thing. Someone should answer for those ridiculous actions, comments and insults publicly!

How is intense membership coming today? Paying attention to your off-topic posts here, we are under impression, that it is not going anywhere. :D
          Last edited by Mikhail Egorov; Monday, 12th March, 2012, 10:49 PM.

Comment

I completely agree with Norm. If you want to start something yourself and start something yourself. Don't ask someone to do it for you, especially CFC Executives!

I agree with Norm, that you should take example from Mrs Yuanling and not taking from CFC Executives. All they do is were talking about big membership drives. If they taken example from Mrs. Yanling herself, they might achieve something.:D
            Hi Mike,

Thanks for the motivation, but like I already said I am only passing on a message, and will continue to help in any way I can. However, I do not wish to be Ghana's saviour, if that's what you mean by "starting something yourself".

Zach

Ps. I believe Hal has taken matters into his own hands. Perhaps FIDE will get involved.

Comment

Hi Zak,

Your title "Developing Chess in 3rd World Countries" is discriminating and insulting to others.

It is obvious what you saying to us: " You are leaving in 1st World country and much more superior to Ghana people." It is like going to a handicap person on a street and telling him: 'I am 15 year old kid and want to help 3rd class lever citizen."

This is harsh and insulting to others, especially when it is coming from 15 year old kid.

I suggest, if you want something done, just go ahead and do it. Do not tell everyone on chesstalk: 'This is what I like to do, but I am not doing it."

Please do not turn chesstalk into clowntalk.

You have a lot of learning to do! ;).

First, take example from Mrs. Yuanling! This should be your first step . She just did it, and did not say much about it. Others just noticed, without her announcement. Also she does not use titles such as "Developing Chess in 3rd World Citizens" either.

Until then, please leave real problem to real professional organization, such as FIDE!
              Hi Mike,

I don't know if you're trying to get a reaction out of me of some sort, or if you're just trying to put me down, but it's not working. I didn't mean to be discriminating, or insulting. I wanted to point out that Ghana was in need, and perhaps other countries could be helped in the future. Yes, perhaps, I was getting a little ahead of myself. Problems such as these should be left to FIDE, and not CFC, like you said. I thought it was worth a try to see how chesstalkers felt, and if CFC would actually get involved or not.

I don't think I, in any way deserved the words you just put out. I am just trying to help in any way I can, and hopefully I can play a greater role in the chess community as I grow, as I have previously stated. It just seems to be like your trying to put down a 15 year old kid, which, sorry to say, makes you look bad, and not me.

Zach

Comment

Originally posted by zachary dukic View Post
                Hi Mike,

I don't know if you're trying to get a reaction out of me of some sort, or if you're just trying to put me down, but it's not working. I didn't mean to be discriminating, or insulting. I wanted to point out that Ghana was in need, and perhaps other countries could be helped in the future. Yes, perhaps, I was getting a little ahead of myself. Problems such as these should be left to FIDE, and not CFC, like you said. I thought it was worth a try to see how chesstalkers felt, and if CFC would actually get involved or not.

I don't think I, in any way deserved the words you just put out. I am just trying to help in any way I can, and hopefully I can play a greater role in the chess community as I grow, as I have previously stated. It just seems to be like your trying to put down a 15 year old kid, which, sorry to say, makes you look bad, and not me.

Zach
                Hi Zach,

It is strange that only at such a young age you see everything as a conspiracy.

All we trying to tell you that you should do something, not announce it to here. If you have a great idea, just do it. There is no guarantee that it will get accomplished, if you say it before hand. Do it, then say it. That is all.

Also, I do not think kids from Ghana deserve to be put down to '3rd world citizens' by a 15 year old kid. They deserve so much better, then be put down like that. They deserve respect and chess sets as well!

All we trying to do is to give you required pointers, that is all. No one is trying to put you down here. You taking everything to personal Zach. Our advice, don't take everything for granted. :D

We suggest you stick to playing and improving yourself as a chess player instead. This problem should be left in hands of professional organizations, such as FIDE. :)
                Last edited by Mikhail Egorov; Monday, 12th March, 2012, 10:34 PM.

Comment

*snip*

Last edited by Jesse Wang; Monday, 12th March, 2012, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse Wang View Post
                    My suggestion is for you to join Chess in The Library and become part of the workforce.
                    Hi Jesse.

I am already busy working full time and teaching a a lot of kids at my free time! Some of them reached very high results and achieved very high ratings. I will stick to what I do best here and is to teach. I will leave 'Chess in The Library' to Mrs. WIM Yanling Yuan. She is very good at it and kudos to her. I hope she will reach new heights there!

ou will most likely be sued for copyright infringement.
                    Are you planning to sue me, or it is just empty talk as usual. :D
                    Last edited by Mikhail Egorov; Monday, 12th March, 2012, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Oh jeez. You should never take me seriously. Especially after posting such a huge picture of a trollface. Looks like I am not quite as good as FM Hambleton. Anyway, comment snipped if you take offence.
                      Last edited by Jesse Wang; Monday, 12th March, 2012, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Oh jeez. You should never take me seriously.
                        We don't, don't you worry! How anyone be taken seriously, after posting very enlarged face cartoon picture. :D

Especially after posting such a huge picture of a trollface.
                        We take it, huge trollface picture is directly related to a person, who originally posted it. :)
                        Last edited by Mikhail Egorov; Monday, 12th March, 2012, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Re : Developing Chess in 3rd World Countries

My goal was to see if the CFC would be willing to make such a donation
                          I do not intend on starting a donation committee.
                          I wanted, and still do want to see if the CFC would be able to give a lending hand. I'm not about to start a donating organization.
                          Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                          A wonderful post. I applaud your generous nature.
                          I was wondering if Zachary would like to donate his entire life savings to Ghana. I intend to do nothing. WAITING FOR APPLAUSE.

Comment

Hi Zach,

It is strange that only at such a young age you see everything as a conspiracy.

All we trying to tell you that you should do something, not announce it to here. If you have a great idea, just do it. There is no guarantee that it will get accomplished, if you say it before hand. Do it, then say it. That is all.

Also, I do not think kids from Ghana deserve to be put down to '3rd world citizens' by a 15 year old kid. They deserve so much better, then be put down like that. They deserve respect and chess sets as well!

All we trying to do is to give you required pointers, that is all. No one is trying to put you down here. You taking everything to personal Zach. Our advice, don't take everything for granted. :D

We suggest you stick to playing and improving yourself as a chess player instead. This problem should be left in hands of professional organizations, such as FIDE. :)
                            Hi Mike,

I'm sorry I misunderstood you. I now understand your intentions, and what you were trying to get through to me. You are right, it can be perceived that calling certain countries "3rd world countries" can be discriminating, and I recognize that now. From now on, I'll try and find words that have less hurt behind them.

Thank you for all the pointers, I need to take in as much information as I can. It's my job to make mistakes, I just need to make sure i don't make the SAME mistakes, and I'll be good to go.

As for improving my chess, I agree with you. I need to focus on chess, but I would also like to contribute in some way, if only a little one. That's why I passed on the information, and now Hal has the information, and hopefully he can pull a few strings so that FIDE may be able to help. Thank you for the constructive criticism Mike :)

Zach

Comment

Re: Re : Developing Chess in 3rd World Countries

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
                              I was wondering if Zachary would like to donate his entire life savings to Ghana. I intend to do nothing. WAITING FOR APPLAUSE.

You don't have to be rude about it. I brought this topic to attention, and although I didn't deserve Bob's praise, I certainly don't deserve your sarcasm.

Comment

Re: Re : Developing Chess in 3rd World Countries

You don't have to be rude about it. I brought this topic to attention, and although I didn't deserve Bob's praise, I certainly don't deserve your sarcasm.
                                You've been jumped on (a bit unfairly I might say) for using the phrase "third world." The expression "third world" goes back to the height of the cold war (well before you were born) when the world was divided into the first world (countries aligned with the USA and NATO and committed to capitalism), the second world (communist countries aligned with the Soviet Union and China) and the third world (the non-aligned countries that remained). Most but not all of these "third world" countries were poorer economically and hence the phrase "third world" grew to be synonymous with poverty. Pejorative connotations were attached to the phrase and the term "third world" grew less used by individuals concerned with issues of economic disparities.

A bunch of other terms replaced "third world". For instance, one would speak about north-south issues. Or developing nations. Or low income economies. A old friend of mine (now deceased) was the head of UNESCO and spoke about "over deprived" nations. With a daily income of about $2 per person, there should be little argument that Ghana is among the "over deprived".

Your proposal about chess sets raises some interesting questions. How we as individuals living in a wealthy nation relate to poverty that we see in the world is a complicated issue. Your thoughts don't deserve the derision that they have faced. Prominent athletes have got behind an organization called "Right to Play" that promotes the right of children to play in disadvantaged areas of the world. Clara Hughes after winning a gold medal in the 2006 Winter Olympics donated her prize money ($10,000) to Right to Play.

I'm not saying that Right to Play is the right way to deal with these issues. There is always controversy about this sort of stuff. But Right to Play is an organization that prominent and respected athletes and individuals have chosen to back. The concerns you expressed are not so far away from the mission of Right to Play. I don't think you deserved to be belittled.
                                Last edited by Steve Karpik; Tuesday, 13th March, 2012, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X