Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Developing Chess in 3rd World Countries

Originally posted by Normand Arsenault View Post
    Age means nothing. It is simply a number. Look at what Mrs.Yuanling has done.

Please refrain from posting on chesstalk till you have taken up this initiative yourself.
    I don't mean to sound rude, but I quite bluntly stated I was passing on a message from a man in Ghana. In order for him to teach more kids chess, they need more materials. I wanted, and still do want to see if the CFC would be able to give a lending hand. I am not sure what you mean by taking up this initiative by myself, but I'm not about to start a donating organization, as I again, stated in my previous post.

Zach
    Last edited by Zachary Dukic; Friday, 9th March, 2012, 07:33 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Like I said before... "Please refrain from posting on chesstalk till you have taken up this initiative yourself. "

Comment

Like I said before... "Please refrain from posting on chesstalk till you have taken up this initiative yourself. "
        Who exactly granted you the power to dictate to others what to do on ChessTalk? Until you have that ability I suggest you refrain from posting such drivel.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
          Hi Zachary,

The Chess'n Math Association has donated chess sets to chess organizations in Haiti a few times as well as other smaller donations to a few other countries. We have no problem donating sets to Ghana...of course the big cost is transportation...if you can overcome or minimize that...we are onside.

Larry
          Larry (and Zachary...) - this is a very worthwhile endeavour (in spite of some troll posts to the contrary). Perhaps Strategy Games could look at the lightest and least bulky sets available (not sure the tube-based ones are the right ones for example, and it may be that rolled-up paper boards in a separate package from the pieces might be a good idea...)

Once that is established (from a shipping perspective), Larry could put an item for sale on Strategy Games that would "accumulate" in a 'pending-shipping' state until enough were purchased to make a shipment worthwhile from a cost-benefit viewpoint and then ship them to Ghana (or other places who make a good case!)

In this way, anyone could voluntarily purchase a set for a 3rd world player - sort of like purchasing a food bag at Loblaws for the food bank.

Of course, Larry might have to attach a small additional charge for each 'bundle' to defray the anticipated shipping charges to Ghana or wherever.

I would purchase such a set - perhaps a couple of times a year in fact - it might be similar to adopting a child like World Vision offers - except I wouldn't necessarily be getting the occasional postcard to see how they are doing.

If Larry could hook up with the person in Ghana, perhaps they could indicate how the sets are being used (maybe send an email or picture or both) showing the equipment in use...

PS: Zachary - do not be discouraged: your selfless idea will reward you in ways you probably cannot imagine at this point. Younger people have overcome larger odds and achieved some amazing breakthroughs.

Comment

Sorry if I sounded like a troll Kerry.

It's great that Zachary thought of those poor kids in Ghana. I just wanted to say that it is easy to tell others to do things when you are sitting in the back doing nothing.

It's like me saying... "Hey guys let's support the Food Bank, it's Christmas time and I know a lot of people in Africa are starving" "I think the CFC and CMA should be donating some food" Very easy for me to say such a thing, but of course if I'm telling someone else to be doing something... I hope that I am doing it as well.

Norm

Comment

It's great that Zachary thought of those poor kids in Ghana. I just wanted to say that it is easy to tell others to do things when you are sitting in the back doing nothing.

It's like me saying... "Hey guys let's support the Food Bank, it's Christmas time and I know a lot of people in Africa are starving" "I think the CFC and CMA should be donating some food" Very easy for me to say such a thing, but of course if I'm telling someone else to be doing something... I hope that I am doing it as well.

Norm
              Fair enough! Your other post definitely struck me as harsh, but now that you have explained it I can understand better where you are coming from... I should realize (since I know better) that sometimes what is typed is not exactly what was meant.

Comment

Norm
                I understand your point Norm but you do know that you came off sounding like an asshole right?
                Shameless self-promotion on display here
                http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Re : Developing Chess in 3rd World Countries

This thread currently has 1 "Norm". Maybe it will earn its title soon...

Comment

I'm liking this guy Norm. I would vote for him if he ran for public office.
                    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Take this initiative up yourself Mr.Zachary...

What is this telling others to do something while you do nothing.
                      The simple minded man principle. Do not ask the police to catch the crooks and the murderers if you can't do it yourself. Do not ask politicians to do anything if you don't run for election yourself. Do not ask surgeons to operate if you can't do it yourself. Do not ask people to do their job if you cannot do their job ? What kind of dumb principle is that ?

Not that I am in favor of sending chess sets to Ghana. First of all I am sure they have much more urgent needs. If they dont then they don't need help with chess sets. Secondly chesswise Canada IS a third world country. We need the help if not the chess sets. Thirdly, to get the real benefits of chess, having chess sets is not enough. Canada is a prime example of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                        Secondly chesswise Canada IS a third world country. We need the help if not the chess sets.
                        Yes. There are not very many members in the chess federation. I have not noticed any membership drives. The federation seems to think they are short of money while the foundation is flush with cash. The tail wags the dog.

From what I saw when I was organizing correspondence chess there are many very good chess players in Quebec. I used to look through the games. If it was the same with over the board players Quebec should have had many more international titles over the board. Lost opportunities because chess organizers could not make agreements.

It's almost like a joke.
                        What do you call a federation with less than 2,000 members?
                        A zone.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                          Yes. There are not very many members in the chess federation. I have not noticed any membership drives.
                          Membership drives are just like weight loss programs. Once you have lost the weight you return to your old habits and regain the weight plus a few more pounds. Membership drives unless they involve new ways to do things bring only short term results. What is needed are permanent changes, a different mentality and different goals.

Comment

Re : Re: Developing Chess in 3rd World Countries

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                            Hi Zachary,

The Chess'n Math Association has donated chess sets to chess organizations in Haiti a few times as well as other smaller donations to a few other countries. We have no problem donating sets to Ghana...of course the big cost is transportation...if you can overcome or minimize that...we are onside.

Larry
                            Ghana and Nigeria are very well known for numerous frauds and scams on Internet. My advice is do not send anything to this person unless you actually met him and knows he is for real.

Scammers can be very dangerous, and there are chess scams as well. See this link for example:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2327

Comment

Originally posted by zachary dukic View Post

Alo Abbey Emmanuel, is a man currently abiding in Ghana, Africa. He has been helping kids with chess for quite some time now. However, as the popularity of chess increases, so does the demand of supplies.
                              He's also been a member of the Annex Chess Club Facebook group for some time. Zach, you're passing on a message from him? What did he ask you for?
                              Marcus Wilker
                              Annex Chess Club
                              Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                                Larry (and Zachary...) - this is a very worthwhile endeavour (in spite of some troll posts to the contrary). Perhaps Strategy Games could look at the lightest and least bulky sets available (not sure the tube-based ones are the right ones for example, and it may be that rolled-up paper boards in a separate package from the pieces might be a good idea...)

Once that is established (from a shipping perspective), Larry could put an item for sale on Strategy Games that would "accumulate" in a 'pending-shipping' state until enough were purchased to make a shipment worthwhile from a cost-benefit viewpoint and then ship them to Ghana (or other places who make a good case!)

In this way, anyone could voluntarily purchase a set for a 3rd world player - sort of like purchasing a food bag at Loblaws for the food bank.

Of course, Larry might have to attach a small additional charge for each 'bundle' to defray the anticipated shipping charges to Ghana or wherever.

I would purchase such a set - perhaps a couple of times a year in fact - it might be similar to adopting a child like World Vision offers - except I wouldn't necessarily be getting the occasional postcard to see how they are doing.

If Larry could hook up with the person in Ghana, perhaps they could indicate how the sets are being used (maybe send an email or picture or both) showing the equipment in use...

PS: Zachary - do not be discouraged: your selfless idea will reward you in ways you probably cannot imagine at this point. Younger people have overcome larger odds and achieved some amazing breakthroughs.
                                Hi Kerry,

I think this is a very smart idea. If boards are to be shipped to Ghana, then this would be the most efficient way of doing so. The man from Ghana said that there were a number of children wanting to play chess, and they were in need of chess sets. He said nothing more, or nothing less, and I decided that it would be right to make a thread to see if these wants were met. I do not know this man, and perhaps it would be a good idea to consult him, and be provided feedback via postcard/email/facebook as you said. Even after consulting this man to make sure he wouldn't use these materials for the wrong purposes, the CFC would have to approve this intention, if not, then this will not be possible.

Norm, I now understand where you are coming from. At first it sounded as if you were trolling, trying to get a reaction out of me, but I realize you are trying to get my head around this. For that, I thank you, and I will try to contribute to this donation as much as possible.

P.s. Kerry, thank you for the kind words. I hope that as I grow I will play a greater role in the chess community.

Zach

Comment

Working...
                                X