• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Developing Chess in 3rd World Countries

Comment

Originally posted by zachary dukic View Post
      This thread is starting to make my head hurt. I don't care about any bullying going on that is towards me, or any issues going on outside of this thread. They have no relevance to this topic, and I have no plan on regarding any attention to them. This is getting way of topic. It came from putting out the idea that kids in Ghana needed to help, to making apologies about something completely different.

Until this thread turns around, and there is some news of helping the children in Ghana, I won't reply on this thread anymore. Obviously a youngster, such as myself, isn't allowed to post about such a topic, without getting harassed about starting an organization myself, or about other situations that have no relevance to the thread.

Zach

Zach,

Obviously there was a lot of spam in the thread and I wouldn't take it too seriously. Just kids letting off a little steam.

In the meantime check out "Chess In The Library". A charitable program mostly run by a top chess youth in Canada. (No doubt her father probably gets a little credit.)

And again, if you are serious about doing some charitable work I would be personally willing to help a little.

And if you would rather just support an existing program don't be afraid to do a little research and then post the results here on chess talk. Some of us will really read it for the content. (I know FIDE donated clocks to a few clubs in poor countries and I would love it if someone could get the details on that and post it here..)

Comment

repped aman
        i rep back 3+

Comment

Originally posted by Garvin Nunes View Post
          Zach,

Obviously there was a lot of spam in the thread and I wouldn't take it too seriously. Just kids letting off a little steam.

In the meantime check out "Chess In The Library". A charitable program mostly run by a top chess youth in Canada. (No doubt her father probably gets a little credit.)

And again, if you are serious about doing some charitable work I would be personally willing to help a little.

And if you would rather just support an existing program don't be afraid to do a little research and then post the results here on chess talk. Some of us will really read it for the content. (I know FIDE donated clocks to a few clubs in poor countries and I would love it if someone could get the details on that and post it here..)
          Hi Garvin,

Thanks for the advice, I'm still waiting to hear back from Hal, to see what is going on. In the meantime, I'll do some research on the results of other organizations.

Zach

Comment

• Ghanaian Contact: Chess Development in Ghana

Hi Zach:

One of our Cooperative Chess Coalition Members on our FB page, " CCC - Chess Posts of Interest ", is Alo Abbey Emmanuel. He is the founder of the " Cream Star Chess Club " in the capital city of Ghana, Accra. He has noted that the World Youth Chess Tournament for Peace, started in 2011 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. In 2012, it goes to Ghana - it is planned for it to travel to a different location each year, as the tournament repeats each year. He has advised that the club, if it had more sets/boards, would be able to spread the game to many more kids in Ghana: http://monroi.com/2011-youth-chess-t...na.html?ev=131.

I have advised him that from discussions so far, it appears the CFC is not in a financial position to help them with this.

But you may wish to discuss this further with him on FB. I have told him that you had kindly raised the issue here in Canada.

Bob

Comment

• Re: Ghanaian Contact: Chess Development in Ghana

I just learned ( I'm a bit behind on this one ), that it was a FB conversation in the Cooperative Chess Coalition Chat Group, between Alo and Zach, that led Zach to make his original post. But I can say from discussing this a few minutes ago with Alo on FB, that he would still appreciate any help he could get from Canadian chess players. He advised me that he currently teaches chess free ( I think to children ) in the capital in 9 locations other than his local chess club. He can use any sets/boards he can get his hands on. He also has other volunteers working with him.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                I just learned ( I'm a bit behind on this one ), that it was a FB conversation in the Cooperative Chess Coalition Chat Group, between Alo and Zach, that led Zach to make his original post. But I can say from discussing this a few minutes ago with Alo on FB, that he would still appreciate any help he could get from Canadian chess players. He advised me that he currently teaches chess free ( I think to children ) in the capital in 9 locations other than his local chess club. He can use any sets/boards he can get his hands on. He also has other volunteers working with him.

Bob A
                Hi Bob,

I believe it is quite clear that this man has noble intentions, and wants the best for his students. You're right, it seems as if the CFC has no interest in aiding Ghana. We have financial problems here in Canada, and as someone said, Canada is considered a Third World Country when it comes to chess. However, I am still awaiting a response, to see if FIDE would be interested in making such a donation. I'm doing the best I can to try and fit in to all of this.

If this thread wasn't made, then perhaps Ghana wouldn't receive help. They still, might not receive aid, but there is still a possibility, and I'm hoping that the possibility will come true.

In case FIDE wouldn't be interested either, I am trying to find other small organizations, that maybe some Canadians would be interested in contributing to.

Zach

Comment

Hi Zach:

Congratulations on continuing to publicize it - you never know when some individual might respond.

And your suggestion to look at small possible answers is good - not all solutions are impressive and flashy!

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                    Hi Zach:

Congratulations on continuing to publicize it - you never know when some individual might respond.

And your suggestion to look at small possible answers is good - not all solutions are impressive and flashy!

Bob A
                    Hi Bob,

My goal is to keep offering information to the public, and try to see if people will get involved. Perhaps if FIDE decides to get involved, more people will to.

Zach

Comment

I will keep looking, but it seems to me that most of the charities are for general needs, not chess. Perhaps money could be sent so that the sets and clocks could be manufactured in Ghana, or other nearby countries?

Zach

Comment

Working...
                      X