• Show
Clear All

• Quebec student deal

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2424035/

Re: Quebec student deal

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2424035/

Comment

My son goes to university in Montreal, and supported the strike, risking his year and tuition. As he said to me - Quebec students have the lowest tuition in Canada, because they are willing to demonstrate to keep it that way, and to improve the university system in other ways.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
        My son goes to university in Montreal, and supported the strike, risking his year and tuition. As he said to me - Quebec students have the lowest tuition in Canada, because they are willing to demonstrate to keep it that way, and to improve the university system in other ways.

Bob A
        Makes perfect sense?????; they have the best deal in Canada (before and after the tuition increase) so let's take to the streets......

Another case of those who have it best complaining the most......

By the way, I have no problem with improving the system in other ways (especially cutting any frivolous expenses). Also, in case anyone gets the wrong idea, I have a couple of kids who will be going to university in a few years, so they will get hit by the full brunt of the increase.

Comment

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
          Last edited by Claude C; Monday, 7th May, 2012, 09:03 PM. Reason: chess forum

Comment

Bob A
            I think that is putting the cart before the horse. They have the lowest tuition because the Quebec government subsidizes it to an unprecedented level, don't they? I don't recall them demonstrating to GET that... I guess what was meant was that he/they are afraid if they roll over and accept some alignment of the fees, they will lose out. I am sure they will continue to have the cheapest post-secondary fees in Canada, just not as low.

I don't see the protest as worthwhile - especially if they lose a year. How do you feel ponying up more money for an additional half or full year?
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

And what happens when a Quebec university tries to increase its tuition to cut down on government/taxpayer subsides? The government fines them $2.1 million.

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=MontrealHome

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                And what happens when a Quebec university tries to increase its tuition to cut down on government/taxpayer subsides? The government fines them $2.1 million.

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=MontrealHome
                Yeah, that was pretty silly. An MBA is worth the tuition they are charging. An MBA is unlike any ohter masters program out there in that it obviously gives you much greater earnings potential.

Comment

The World of Today's 20-somethings

Interesting article on today's 20-somethings: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle2425558/

Bob A

Comment

Re: The World of Today's 20-somethings

Interesting article on today's 20-somethings: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle2425558/

Bob A
                    He forgets to mention that today's 20 somethings are set to inherit from their baby boomer parents what has been called the largest transfer of wealth in the history of Canada.

I also question his statement that the average salary back then was $50000. That was not the average salary for a new grad. A new grad in say engineering could expect to make about $30000 in 1990. Even today engineering salaries top out at about $80000 for experienced engineers. For an arts degree probably less. When I started as a police civilian, a well paying job, I was making the equivalent of $26000 in the 90s.

Car prices vary quite a lot. You can buy used or you can buy a new car for $15000, if you want a great car you have to pay for it.

As well if you are talking about Quebec, they have much better house prices than Toronto or Vancouver. Even in Montreal. Montreal is a bargain compared to Toronto and a super bargain compared to Vancouver.

I also don't get his point about savings rates being higher back then. What new grad had savings? Or should expect to have savings? Was it easier when interest rates were 21% back in 1981 or so and then not below 12% thereafter. Was it easier when there were two major recessions in early 80s and early 90s? This writer would have faced the second recession at the very least in the 90s.

Making a home purchase, a new car purchase, those were all considered major decisions back then. And no new grads were not rushing out to buy these things. I don't remember anyone in the 80s claiming that paying tuition was easy. Interestingly enough the figure for tuition keeping up with inflation is about what Quebec students do pay now. The deal they are apparently rejecting is supposedly cost neutral to them. What better do they want?

At 12% for a $96000 home amortized over 25 years, the monthly payment is about $1000. That's $12000 per year of after tax income which well exceeds the suggested guideline of 1/3 for shelter costs. That also does not include property tax, utilities, maintenance etc. I know someone who sold what was very much a starter home in 1990 and sold it in the 70000 plus range in Hamilton. So right after 1984 was when house prices shot up. If you were a new grad in 1984 by the time you saved a downpayment, secured a job history etc. you would have missed the boat.
                    Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Wednesday, 9th May, 2012, 04:18 PM.

Comment

When I was a youngster I went to the Saturday matinee for 25 cents. It cost 5 cents each way for the street car, 10 cents for admission to the movie and 5 cents for the drink.

What that has to do with todays reality escapes me. You could literally pick any year and compare it to today. I wonder what todays pampered college students would do if they had to rely on ration coupons like we did during the war. Yes, right here in Canada. Ration books.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                        When I was a youngster I went to the Saturday matinee for 25 cents. It cost 5 cents each way for the street car, 10 cents for admission to the movie and 5 cents for the drink.

What that has to do with todays reality escapes me. You could literally pick any year and compare it to today. I wonder what todays pampered college students would do if they had to rely on ration coupons like we did during the war. Yes, right here in Canada. Ration books.
                        When you say matinee do you mean moving pictures or vaudeville? :D:D

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
                          When you say matinee do you mean moving pictures or vaudeville? :D:D
                          Moving pictures and they were the talkies. :) Of course, it's not the point. One can't simply pick a date out of thin air and cry that times are so much harder now. Anyone can play that game.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Got to wonder if Bob A & G support this extreme trampling of rights of students http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2434498/

Comment

Hi Jerry:

Definitely don't agree with use of violence against those not supporting the cause. Delaying students somewhat to inform them of the issues before entering the school is acceptable to me, though some interference with the opposed students' rights. The interference is proportional to the cause at stake.

But no way for assault.

Bob A

Comment

Working...
                              X