Toronto Blue Jays!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Toronto Blue Jays!!

The season is about a third finished and we're not doing as well as hoped. Can't complain too much because the club spent money, made moves and what looked good on paper didn't seem to translate to the desired results. Now, I suppose, it's time to simply watch the games.

It's been a discouraging couple of weeks besides the Jays. The 11 year old Bichon Frise got sick with no cure. Too bad. She really liked the summer. Beware, my 12 year old terror, is still going strong. With a pure bred dog a person can always get another one but I can't quite get into the spirit of that yet.

Looks like the Jays will have another bad season against the National League.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I see the Jays are re-tooling for the second half of the season. All the new players are starting to get used to each other. Only 9 1/2 games out of first and on a 4 game winning streak as I write this.

Reyes should soon be back. The Jays have brought Josh Thole up from the minors to catch R.A. Dickey. Hopefully Thole will turn into a decent catcher.

Surprisingly enough, at least to me, starting pitching has been a problem spot for the Jays. The Jays have picked up a new starter. The Jays picked up Chien-Ming Wang from the Yanks farm system. I remember Wang as a good pitcher who finished second in the Cy Young Awards a half dozen or more years ago. He has (had?) a sinker, splitter, slider and change up along with a fast ball which got into the 90's. I don't know if his stuff is what it used to be but I'm looking forward to watching him pitch again. He has two 19 wins seasons in a row for the Yankees.

The draft of young prospect has ended. Looks like the Jays picked up around 30 ptichers, a couple of catchers. a couple of SS's a couple of 1st basemen and a couple of outfielders. Some 40 youngsters in total. Mostly still teenagers. Still years of development ahead for them.

The first two pitchers have fastballs which are in the 90's along with other pitches. Their first pick (I think they were picking around 10th) should get a nice signing bonus. The amount for the slot in which he was picked is around $2.5 million.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I see the Jays were involved in an 18-inning game recently. I remember a game that the Expos lost 1-0 to the Dodgers in 22 innings (I was there - Aug. 23-24, 1989). Many weird things happened that night:

1) Youppi (Expo mascot) ejected in the 11th.
        2) Expos scored the winning run in the 17th - appeal ruled the runnier out, since he left 3rd base too early.
        3) Dodgers scored the winning run in the 18th - umpires didn't see that the ball bounced off the wall before it was caught - batter called out.
        4) 17th inning - Dodgers had to use pitchers as pinch-hitters.
        5) No Dodger walked the whole game - a record for the longest game without a walk.
        6) I seem to recall a triple play (or what should have been one), but the game report doesn't mention one.

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-08-...1_rick-dempsey

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
          I see the Jays are re-tooling for the second half of the season. All the new players are starting to get used to each other. Only 9 1/2 games out of first and on a 4 game winning streak as I write this.

Reyes should soon be back. The Jays have brought Josh Thole up from the minors to catch R.A. Dickey. Hopefully Thole will turn into a decent catcher.

Surprisingly enough, at least to me, starting pitching has been a problem spot for the Jays. The Jays have picked up a new starter. The Jays picked up Chien-Ming Wang from the Yanks farm system. I remember Wang as a good pitcher who finished second in the Cy Young Awards a half dozen or more years ago. He has (had?) a sinker, splitter, slider and change up along with a fast ball which got into the 90's. I don't know if his stuff is what it used to be but I'm looking forward to watching him pitch again. He has two 19 wins seasons in a row for the Yankees.

The draft of young prospect has ended. Looks like the Jays picked up around 30 ptichers, a couple of catchers. a couple of SS's a couple of 1st basemen and a couple of outfielders. Some 40 youngsters in total. Mostly still teenagers. Still years of development ahead for them.

The first two pitchers have fastballs which are in the 90's along with other pitches. Their first pick (I think they were picking around 10th) should get a nice signing bonus. The amount for the slot in which he was picked is around $2.5 million.
          Games like today are the main reason they aren't climbing back into playoff contention. Starting pitching hasn't got the job done, up 4-0 today they should have finally began the climb to .500 but failed again. Team looks really good moving forward, kind of a funny thing to say when they've sucked most of the year but their bullpen is strong, Bautista/Encarnacian seem healthy and productive, Lind is back in a major way now. These were all question marks preseason.

So why they still way out of contention ? Management was extremely slow to recognize they had major short term issues and deal with them. Their choices of replacement pitchers was for the most part terrible ( and this week bringing McGowan back now when their bullpen is fine without him doesn't seem smart ). Jenkins was the ONLY replacement starter that did extremely well, and for some strange reason they are sending him back and forth like a yo yo. Wang is a decent gamble I guess someone like that could fill at 4th or 5th starter and maybe give you a chance. Not sure why Jenkins isn't deemed a go in that role though. They might need both of them but they are going to screw up Jenkins with these layoffs for sure.

I think rather then 8 games below .500 they should be no more then 4 games below but squandered at least 4 games using guys like Laffey, the AA rookie, and starting several offensive players every day during huge early slumps. Those extra losses will hurt more if they climb back to "respectability" but remain clearly out of it. This is very likely now if there are no more huge injuries. Reyes will score a ton now in this offence. I don't expect a playoff run because their starters just aren't pitching like contenders right now, they are somewhat better but all the good teams have a stud pitcher winning almost every game ( some teams have two ) and we don't have one of those. And the math is really bad now, the Astros effect in the West makes the second wild card scenario far less likely, basically Oakland ( maybe Texas ?) got a ton of extra wins from being in Houston's division.

My feeling remains that Gibbons lacked the urgency to right the ship quickly and effectively, and you aren't going to win the AL East any year if you kind of laissez-faire your way through the season trying to appease everyone in the clubhouse. And if the trend lasts all season, I think the man who hired him should lose his job too.

Comment

I thought today's game was one of those things. It's hard to win a sweep in a series but the Jays won the series and had a nice winning streak going into the game. They gave up too many home runs today but Texas is a decent team. Also after last nights long game I guess they wanted Johnson to go as deep into the game today as he could. Our bullpen was likely tired so it's too bad he couldn't go 6 or 7 innings.

Our starters seem to be coming around now. Dickey and Buehrle seem to be getting things going. I notice they brought up LaRoche to play third. He's been in the majors before.

I'm also looking forward to Reyes returning. Hopefully this injury won't impair his stolen base potential. It might not. Ellesbury (Boston) stole 5 in one game and hurt himself on the 5th. He was out close to a week and since he came back he's stolen 3 bases in 3 games.

This could be big week for the Jays if they can put together a winning streak.

Were you an Montreal Expos fan in the early years like Hugh and myself?
            Last edited by Gary Ruben; Monday, 10th June, 2013, 01:13 PM.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
              If I'm counting right, the Jays are 9 1/2 games out of the second AL wildcard spot after tonight. Their season is thus pretty much shot in my books.
              Any team 9.5 games out of the playoffs on May 10th must certainly be dead for the season. Right ? Right ?
              Given we are more then a month later, you are going to have to start writing off other teams that the Jays are equal to or ahead of in the standings. So teams on Pacey's death watch may soon include Tampa Bay, Washington, maybe San Francisco ( last years winner ).

I don't know if the Jays will make it or not, but they were never totally out of it. Now that Texas and New York have come back to earth
              ( as expected ), the chances have improved a lot. My benchmark was .500 by the all star break. That seems likely now.
              Last edited by Duncan Smith; Wednesday, 19th June, 2013, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Holy shit, 7 in a row, Jays have been outscoring their opposition 42-12 (something like that) in the past 7 games, just total domination. I think 5 of those were in the come from behind 7-5 win against Chicago that Wang pitched last week and so they have really man-handled the Rangers and now Rockies. With Buehrle going tomorrow and pretty much being our best pitcher at this time, I have complete faith that Jays will continue rolling and maybe even be over .500 by the all-star break. Like someone on fangraphs said, the Jays season was over 2 weeks ago and now it's alive. That's something.
                Shameless self-promotion on display here
                http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Good to see the Jays win 8 games in a row. I must admit, you've got to have in-the-small-minority and childlike faith to anticipate such a major, miraculous turnaround in such short order! ;)

I remain a cheerful pessimist, as Emmanual Lasker was characterized. :) The Jays are still not in a playoff spot, and have a number of tough teams to pass in order to get one. I still hope forlornly, deep down, that they do, Duncan's carping aside.
                  Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Wednesday, 19th June, 2013, 11:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
                  Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                  Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Working...
                  X