COVID-19 ... how we cope :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So ya over the COVID stretch I've been able to work on several passion projects :)

One of my most personal passion projects is all about Creativity.

What is it? Where the fuck does it come from? Why the fuck does it show up at all in the first place?

So to help tell the story about Creativity I created some props. One of the film's minor props, exposure of less than 3 seconds of actual animated film time, is all about your generic pencil and Graphite in general.

Here's a couple of early study shots I did of a graphite Under Lord flanked on either side by some minions ...

Click image for larger version  Name:	lords_of_graphite_1a.gif Views:	0 Size:	229.1 KB ID:	214524
    Click image for larger version  Name:	lords_of_graphite_1b.gif Views:	0 Size:	237.5 KB ID:	214525

... I created these 'characters' with somewhat of a broody vision. Pencils, and Graphite in general, have lead and mislead (pun intended, ahem) many many innocent people.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Wednesday, 4th August, 2021, 03:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

Good post Bob! Whereas I don't agree 100% with everything you wrote, I appreciate your reasoned presentation, and I can relate to why someone would hold a view that is opposite to my views. That makes for a good post, which can hopefully lead to effective discussions. I don't mind being proven wrong, but I must admit that when faced with fake stuff intended to trick-influence innocent people whether actually true or not, well I practically have "allergic reaction" lol. Back to my question you seemed to appreciate: isn't COVID way more deadly than the vaccines (so far anyway)?!
      Propaganda is an incredibly powerful weapon. If you tell people what they want to hear, for instance that COVID is all a hoax, they too easily accept that because then they don't have to do anything. Same as with Climate Change, if you tell them it isn't real, it's all a hoax, then they too easily accept that because then they don't have to do anything about it. You can come up with numerous examples along this theme. If you feed them a steady diet of BS, appeal to them on an emotional level, then it can drown out the truth even if supported by overwhelming evidence.

Those knowingly spreading propaganda deserve our scorn and ridicule. Victims of propaganda deserve some level of sympathy and understanding. Often it is extremely difficult to distinguish between these two groups.

"isn't COVID way more deadly than the vaccines (so far anyway)? - yes, absolutely.
      Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Wednesday, 4th August, 2021, 06:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
        Those knowingly spreading propaganda deserve our scorn and ridicule. .....
        Amen to that!!
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Daswani View Post

there's no moving this discussion fwd. anyone who's participating in it needs badly to touch grass

i welcome the memes. memes are praxis. who was it who said that again? derrida?

========================================

to be tbh, i would personally rather if this thread returned to its original purpose: exchanging ideas on how to pass the time during covid

among other things, i have been watching some tubes from my youths. most recently i rewatched opposite sex, a short-lived teen comedy-drama produced for fox's 2000 summer lineup that was quashed after 8 episodes. i hadn't seen it since it came out, and although i had fond memories of it, i went into it unsure whether i'd like it. here are my main thoughts:

1. jed is clearly coded as enby. this show is actually fucked, and also fucking fire. grammatically, the narrative structure is all over the place, and seemingly each moment is just drenched in the absurd. yet actual occasions of real pathos are front and centre. i wouldn't say they're forced, as that sounds perjorative, but it's as if the actual plot points serve no purpose but to facilitate emotional reckonings and a sort of stunted, repressed dialogue, both which betray the confusion and inward anger endemic to teen queerness. it's fucking great

2. we need to talk about how the person who played delia in my so-called life is in the eighth and final episode and looks exactly the same as she did in 1993

3. more importantly, can we talk about christopher cousins for a moment? if i were to walk up to you on the street, or inside your home, and say, "did you know that before playing that boring fuck in breaking bad, christopher cousins appeared as the father of a character in a few episodes of a teen comedy-drama starring an actor who also appeared as a main character's love interest in gilmore girls?" you would simply respond, "i've seen the o.c.. i am your better. wipe that shit-eating smirk off your face." but this would be your downfall. first of all, no one would refer to lane kim as a main character, and secondly, i said episodes, plural. that's right, friends. before greg fischer punched tate donovan in the face at the debutante ball, he played milo ventimiglia's dad in four episodes of opposite sex. obviously, this is the most crazy thing ever. when i initially realized this, i burst into tears out of fear of the cosmos and in fact could not get out of bed for two days. don't worry, though, i am feeling much better now. i have come to terms with my reality

========================================

this weekend i might watch all 12 episodes of abc's 1976 adaptation of rich man, poor man while stoically putting cigarettes out on my couch. i will let you guys know how it goes
          Anyone watch Ted Lasso?

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian Profit View Post

Anyone watch Ted Lasso?
            YESSS!!!

And remember the episode with the one-man street musician?! That's actually Cam Cole, a genuine one-man musician who plays some of the hardest dirty blues one man can play. It's not easy, but you can order his first two CDs from Kansas. They absolutely blow up my car every chance I get. Besides CDs, you can find him on YouTube, great music for a frustrating time in our lives!! ;)

Comment

• Indonesia is the twelfth country to record 100,000 deaths.

Comment

• Lambda variant shows vaccine resistance; this is not good news...
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                  Lambda variant shows vaccine resistance; this is not good news...
                  Thanks Kerry. Some days it feels like walking on lake ice in March.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                    Lambda variant shows vaccine resistance; this is not good news...
                    Oh boy, thanks Kerry for ruining my morning coffee!!

But correct me if I am wrong, they are using the greek alphabet to name the variants?
                    The original COVID19 referred to as Alpha, the first greek letter.
                    Delta, being the 4th letter, and Lambda being the 11th.
                    So can I assume most variants are of little importance because they are so minor changes?

Anyway, from your link, Lambda is in South America and spreading, and may or may not be worse than Delta.

I guess there must by now a website which tracks all the variants, and compares them all. Hurrah, more data to distort. :)

I hope we don't get to Omega, the last greek letter. Now that sounds scary, like Sci Fi Andromeda strain scary!!

Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Thursday, 5th August, 2021, 06:50 AM.

Comment

I hope we don't get to Omega, the last greek letter. Now that sounds scary ...
                      makes me think of Excel, where the the 27th column is AA, then AB, etc lol

Comment

• The good news is there are only 15 more letters in the alphabet.

Comment

...... Hurrah, more data to distort. :) .......
                          Hi Bob. More interesting times could be just around the corner:

"The state may have no right to insist you ingest a substance against your will, however beneficial that substance may be. But 80 per cent of Canadians don’t want to go anywhere near those who won’t."
                          - John Ibbitson, Globe and Mail

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...ccinated-from/
                          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

..... Hurrah, more data to distort. :) ......
                            And speaking of memes (or cartoons):

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1619968649670.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	214550

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

Hi Bob. More interesting times could be just around the corner:

"The state may have no right to insist you ingest a substance against your will, however beneficial that substance may be. But 80 per cent of Canadians don’t want to go anywhere near those who won’t."
                              - John Ibbitson, Globe and Mail

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...ccinated-from/

Everyone who is fully vaccinated is getting comfortable because even though they can GET covid, if they do then it is very likely they will only suffer mild symptoms. But the failure of the vaccines to actually PREVENT infection with the virus is possibly going to cost us long term, because it is now being noted that it is the many vaccinated who are carrying the virus around in their system who are likely to bring on the more deadly and infectious new mutated strains that will resist the vaccines.

Comment

Last edited by Sam Sharpe; Saturday, 5th November, 2022, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X