Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kasparov campaign on death bed? - Kevin Spraggett

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
    We have operated under a constant barrage of attack and I only responded on twitter when I learned that I and the CFC were being attacked there.

I have been talking with people on all of the above ideas over the course of the year where I have been CFC president. In Canada, chess in schools will have to come in on a provincial and individual school basis. No national program is really possible because education is a provincial responsibility and you have to go to each province in order to implement such a program. The alternative is to go to each individual school or approach each individual student.

Lets talk but probably not until after the campaign. Whether someone or another keeps their promises or not (my information is that they do), I do try to keep my promises so the CFC vote will not change. I might have to deal with a lawsuit from a Kasparov supporter though if he has initiated it he has done it by remote control as he is on a plane to Tromso.
    Dear Vlad,

I'm absolutely not involved in the CFC, except maybe for the fact that some money from my FQE membership goes toward funding the Olympiad team (or so I've heard). And I have only a vague idea about Kasparov's campaign and I'm not related to Mig Greengard in any way.

But if I cared even just a little bit about the state of the CFC, I'd say your message is pretty underwhelming, to say the least. The only promise I read in there is that you are willing to do nothing, except to take a defensive stance whenever you feel it's required.

Am I missing something? Is that it for the CFC?

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
      Dear Vlad,

I'm absolutely not involved in the CFC, except maybe for the fact that some money from my FQE membership goes toward funding the Olympiad team (or so I've heard). And I have only a vague idea about Kasparov's campaign and I'm not related to Mig Greengard in any way.

But if I cared even just a little bit about the state of the CFC, I'd say your message is pretty underwhelming, to say the least.
      Perhaps you can look at it that way but at the moment I have to spend some time filling the gas tank. I just spent two weeks at the CYCC and Canadian Open where when I wasn't playing chess I was giving interviews to television or print media or engaged in meetings where we worked out the detail and made some plans for the future of chess. Over the course of the two weeks I met at various times with the representatives of FQE including Bernard Labadie, Richard Berube and Felix Dumont. Had many meetings with Frank Lee the Youth Coordinator, dealt with issues related to the WYCC for this year, CYCC for next year in Windsor, met with and had discussions with Larry Bevand several times including him generously driving me to the airport. I had meetings with a group of organizers from BC interested in internet games as a way of connecting remote communities and then another meeting with another BC organizer interested in the same thing. I had breakfast with the ratings auditor Paul Leblanc and and talked about the rating system and the foundation which he also chairs.

The flight up and back and the hotel rooms were not subsidized by the CFC and there was a substantial expense which certainly drained my bank account which has to be replenished before I engage in too many more such very productive tournaments from the point of view of the CFC. My doctor is concerned about the hair on my legs falling out which could be a sign of vascular disease which might lead to serious problems with my legs continuing to function though I recently had a semi-annual checkup with my endocrinologist which seemed to suggest that the situation was improving. Spending eight or ten hours a day answering emails does not bode well for my chances of beating this problem and not having to worry about perhaps seeing my legs amputated down the road.

I have earned a grand total of $20 over the last two weeks or so which does not even cover the gas that I used over the last day or two.
      Now I am going to Kitchener in just over two days and the cycle of meetings will be repeated again. Oh yes and by the way someone is suing me and the CFC apparently. This means that I will have to waste still more time just to stand still. A vexatious lawsuit does not concern me that much but it will probably cost me many hours of preparation in order to deal with it adequately. We will win but only Sasha's lawyer will be enriched by this.

The only promise I read in there is that you are willing to do nothing, except to take a defensive stance whenever you feel it's required.

Am I missing something? Is that it for the CFC?
      I won't be able to do much for the CFC if I am dead or missing my legs and hands due to complications of diabetes. If I can't type my CFC president days are over. The CFC presidency is a unpaid volunteer position and those chess in the school initiatives have been something everyone has been pursuing for many years. Not much progress will be made in two weeks. My own belief is that we have to pursue such programs on a local level where we have the boots on the ground.
      Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Wednesday, 30th July, 2014, 02:20 AM.

Comment

personal attack.
        Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Wednesday, 30th July, 2014, 01:13 PM. Reason: personal attack
        Only the rushing is heard...
        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
          Excess sugar in the blood does kill brain cells, so now we are starting to get an explanation as to all your weirdness and faulty logic and putting ego above all else.
          Absolutely not acceptable. I hope the moderator steps in as a result of that low shot.
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Thanks for posting this information Mig.
            I have been waiting for some sanity to creep into this 'debate' - I believe you have stated G.K.'s case and position very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
              Absolutely not acceptable. I hope the moderator steps in as a result of that low shot.
              It's a sunny day in Maple Bay, B.C.

Comment

personal attack.
                Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Wednesday, 30th July, 2014, 01:15 PM. Reason: personal attack
                Only the rushing is heard...
                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Paul, the rules here are clear about personal attacks. Maybe you should read them again.
                  Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

I actually have found Kerry to be among the more objective folks on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                      Wow, what a sob story.
                      It is not a sob story it is just a recap of my last two weeks. I am quite happy with what was accomplished by my being there in Montreal to witness the biggest CYCC ever and one of the biggest Canadian Opens in decades.

Vlad, you should not have run for CFC President.
                      Probably not but when the alternative is Sasha Starr I didn't see that I had much choice particularly with the CFC in the position it is vis a vis the NFP act.

I wonder how many voting members that voted for you are just finding out about your serious health conditions.
                      Most already know from my previous postings on the governors forum and chesstalk.

I have mixed feelings about your post being deleted by the moderator as it reveals your true nature and why no one should worry about your opinion on anything. In particular your fantasies on the the topic of me committing seppuku (ritual suicide by cutting open the stomach) remind me of the parallels to a usenet troll who used to tell vulnerable people to slice long and deep. l am not a particularly vulnerable person but I didn't think I would get any death wishes on chesstalk. Thanks for correcting that mistaken belief. I am under Japanese influence but I never bought into the idea of ritual suicide. It offends the chessplayer in me who has learned that there is always hope while the game is still on.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                        I did, although I was a bit clumsy and just removed the whole darn thing. The up side is that CFC President Vlad D. is not convinced what I did was the right thing and, therefore, pretty well everyone finds fault with me at least a little. That's sometimes described as a sign that the moderator is doing a good job. hah.

In any case, you are an admin here. Could you not do the same thing yourself?

Comment

Re: moderator

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                          I did, although I was a bit clumsy and just removed the whole darn thing. The up side is that CFC President Vlad D. is not convinced what I did was the right thing and, therefore, pretty well everyone finds fault with me at least a little. That's sometimes described as a sign that the moderator is doing a good job. hah.

Hello Nigel,

I don't find fault with you for removing it. I wouldn't want the kids I coach to see it. I just have mixed feelings because for a moment we got a glimpse behind the curtain of who and what Paul Bonham really is and it is not particularly pretty sight. I am glad I saw it before it was deleted. It will certainly play a role in my decisions with respect to any further responses to Mr. Bonham. He reminds me a great deal of one or two trolls that I dealt with in the past though he does lack some of their more interesting qualities.

Comment

I've sent you a PM, Vlad, which may interest you.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post

Well, yes - I am an admin here but not for moderation purposes... I admire Paul Bonham's adroitness with using wikipedia etc to provide some definitions, but my initial reaction was that it was a personal attack (for what it is worth, I did not perceive Vlad's current health to be relevant to any of this). Anyway, thanks for applying your judgement here.
                              I was frankly expecting it to remain since it was rather mild (although uncalled for), but I wanted to at least point out that it was an irrelevant personal comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
                                I actually have found Kerry to be among the more objective folks on this board.
                                Thanks. It is hard to take the high road sometimes - I will be the first to admit that. I am not at all fond of IllusionOf in any respect,
                                but I am willing to hear and process arguments to the contrary. That doesn't mean I will buy into anything that is posted on CT!

Comment

Working...
                                X