World Championship 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the decisive game 4 of the playoffs Nepo ended up after a series of exchanges from moves 20 to 35 in an extremely passive position and then was struggling for a long time against two passed pawns. He tried hard for checks against the black king but Ding defended precisely and because of the threats of the passed pawns eventually broke into White's king position.

Comment

Congratulations to Ding Liren the new world champion!

Comment

Congratulations to the new FIDE Champion!! I understand that 'Ding' is his family name, or surname. But what is the correct way of writing/saying the new champ's name. Is it:
        1. Ding Liren, or
        2. Ding, Liren, or
        3. Liren Ding?
        Thanks for any serious replies.
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Ding Liren plays beautiful and strong chess, he will be a good second in command . His surname is Liren and his name is Ding, as I understand, I could be wrong, ao we ahould call him Liren Ding but we have been calling him Ding Liren for ages. I could be wrong on that though.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Andre Beaudry View Post
            Ding Liren plays beautiful and strong chess, he will be a good second in command . His surname is Liren and his name is Ding, as I understand, I could be wrong, ao we ahould call him Liren Ding but we have been calling him Ding Liren for ages. I could be wrong on that though.
            Found this in an old Chessbase interview:

"Sagar Shah (SS):Firstly, how should I address you?

Ding Liren (DL): My first name is Liren and my family name is Ding. Everyone in China calls me Ding Liren. Usually people call me with my full name or the first name, but using my family name is also fine."

https://en.chessbase.com/post/who-is-ding-liren
            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
            "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Thanks everyone. I am aware that the Chinese convention is to put the surname first.

But it has become common to put the surname last, as in the West, for the convenience of Westerners.

So I always now have to look it up somewhere to be sure which is the Chinese protocol.

Bob A

Comment

https://en.chessbase.com/post/world-...p-2023-playoff some great quotes

Comment

Congratulations Liren Ding (got to get used to that) - thanks Peter for clarifying.

Comment

The best quote is from Anish Giri:

One Ding to rule them all...

Comment

https://en.chessbase.com/post/how-li...view-in-el-pas Interesting interview by Liren Ding.

Comment

Ding is the family name, Liren is the first name. It is not always the case but more family names are single symbol in Chinese. So if you found the pronunciation is one straight tone, it has higher chance to be family name. This is not always true.

BTW, I put my name in wrong order, not sure how to fix it.

Comment

https://en.chessbase.com/post/anand-...nepomniachtchi Vishy Anand's comments on the match

Comment

Working...
                          X