2024 Canadian Open (July 13-18)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After six rounds Jean Francois Courval leads section E with a perfect score.

Comment

Rd 7 FM Stevens vs GM Mikhalevski Christian Stevens is offering to play the Smith - Morra Gambit as white! I will be watching with interest as I used to play it for many years, GM Mikhalevski hasn't spent much time in the opening so he is familiar with it. Christian has his work cut out for him in trying to develop an attack.
      We're seeing the classical Smith Morra in its shaping. White's rooks c1 and d1, Qe2, knights at c3 and f3, bishops at c4 and g3. Black knight's at c6 and g6, bishop at e7, Qc7. We now need to see where black will put his queens bishop and more importantly his king.

GM Mikhalevski takes his queen off the C-file immediately with Qb8. Safety first!
      Last edited by Hans Jung; Wednesday, 17th July, 2024, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Rd 7 GM Kantans has played e5 against GM Van Foreest's French Defence.

Finally middlegame action! 11...f6 the classic pawn break is met with b4!

With 12.b4 Ive learned something knew for me. Ive had this position several times as white and never dreamed of playing b4,
        Does it solve all White's problems?
        Last edited by Hans Jung; Wednesday, 17th July, 2024, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Rd 7 IM Chiku-Ratte vs GM Komarov is a Queen's Gambit.

The intentions of White's move order are clear. He wants to dominate the C-file and the queenside and would be happy if the center is shut down.
          Last edited by Hans Jung; Wednesday, 17th July, 2024, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Rd 7 GM Sambuev vs IM Han is a variation of the Queen's Indian defence.

Comment

Rd 7 GM Stefansson vs GM Vera could be a Benoni but still has chances to become a King's Indian or even excitingly a Benko Gambit? We will have to await developments.Turns out its definitely a Benoni.
              Last edited by Hans Jung; Wednesday, 17th July, 2024, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Rd 7 GM Shawn RL vs FM Le Golf has evolved into what I like to call the Capablanca System with the queen's bishop finachettoed for white.
                Last edited by Hans Jung; Wednesday, 17th July, 2024, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Board 1 - do I see a possibility of KBN vs K? Will they play it out?

Comment

Jonathan Han. First time I've become aware of him. Seems to be U16 and an IM. Very impressive.
                    Paul Leblanc
                    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Predict-a-Number Quiz # 3

How many Canadians will be on the top 6 boards for Rd. 8 tomorrow @ 10:00 AM?

Your prediction?

Bob A

Comment

Predict-a-Number Quiz # 4

How many decisive games will there be on the top 6 boards in Rd. 8 tomorrow @ 10:00 AM ?

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                          Board 1 - do I see a possibility of KBN vs K? Will they play it out?
                          It should have been bishop and knight. I think GM Van Foreest has a golden horseshoe hidden after that game. Whit should have won.

Comment

Predict-a-Number Quiz # 2

How many decisive games will there be on the top 6 boards in Rd. 7 @ 2:00 PM today?

Hans - 6

Answer - 4

A bit further off in this Quiz, Hans.

Bob A

Comment

Rd 7 Results Good fortune was smiling on GM Van Foreest. I think he should have lost. But the game was a draw and his winning streak comes to an end.

Comment

Rd 7 Big upset as GM Sambuev hung a piece and then a checkmate to IM Han.

Comment

Working...
                                X