New CFC website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New CFC website

The ratings portion of the website does not seem to be updating properly. The new rating appears in the post rating of the last tournament played but doesn't show up in the rating field.

Have we decided to freeze all ratings as of the creation date of the website?

Comment

Re: Is this it?? or the test version still(July 7-2011)

Originally posted by Michael Yip View Post
      To whom it may concern:

I just looked at chess.ca.

Michael Yip
      you need to distinguish between the content (responsibility of the CFC) and the website per se - that is stylistically elements but also primarily the elements you can't see. The statement that was made about this was that the old site had become unmanageable and impossible to cleanly edit. Presumably this site is easier to manage but you won't be able to tell that by just looking.

Much of what you say is content and not part of the $18,000. Hopefully there is a plan for editing work because yes, the material is largely out of date. But that's another topic.

Comment

Hi Roger

Can someone explain to me what is it about the new site that is worth $18,000?

I take your word there are things I can't see. Perhaps someone can explain it to me(and possibly others)

Mike

Comment

Hi Roger

I take your word there are things I can't see. Perhaps someone can explain it to me(and possibly others)

Mike
          Well, the new site uses CSS (style sheets) to make presentation consistent across all pages; it uses a content-management system to permit people to avoid hacking hand-crafted HTML code to change a sentence or paragraph here or there... The old CFC website was basically hand-coded html with lots of cut and paste or cut and drop... and the editor was notepad.

Basically, the fee was for transforming all the previous content (well, maybe not all...) into the new methodology and gaining the capability to move forward with new content in a consistent and straightforward way. I believe (by I am not certain) that the interface with the ratings database and member database was modernized too...

Perhaps Fred has more details...
          Last edited by Kerry Liles; Friday, 8th July, 2011, 09:25 AM. Reason: one more thing
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Hi Roger

Mike
            Mike: The CFC put the new website through a complete business process. An RFP was prepared, submissions were made from I think 7 different companies and the Executive with the help of an advisory committee made a choice as to which company they would go with.

I'm not going to get into specifics as to what possible $ value the site has to the CFC. I'm willing to accept the fact that some people don't think we got our money's worth and move on with more positive endeavours.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
              The ratings portion of the website does not seem to be updating properly. The new rating appears in the post rating of the last tournament played but doesn't show up in the rating field.

Have we decided to freeze all ratings as of the creation date of the website?
              Hi Vlad: In future a quicker response may be possible if you send me an e-mail.

Anyway, I checked on this and it's because right now Resolution is in the process of switching us to a faster server. I would think that sometime this afternoon the ratings will all be in sync.

Comment

Hi Fred

No problem, as I'm a professional nitpicker. I was curious as an outsider.

Mike

Comment

I think it looks great. All that's needed is a program/plan of regular small improvements to content.

As for increasing revenues, it goes like this: Someone searches for chess in Canada, finds chess.ca. They think, "where can I play?". They find about all the local tournaments, and the big events for travel. They pick one, go, and join the CFC.

So the biggest revenue bang will be to create a system for TDs to post tournaments, and a way for players to browse tournaments by location. En Passant had that section, and chess.ca should have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
                    I think it looks great. All that's needed is a program/plan of regular small improvements to content.

As for increasing revenues, it goes like this: Someone searches for chess in Canada, finds chess.ca. They think, "where can I play?". They find about all the local tournaments, and the big events for travel. They pick one, go, and join the CFC.

So the biggest revenue bang will be to create a system for TDs to post tournaments, and a way for players to browse tournaments by location. En Passant had that section, and chess.ca should have it.
                    alan: Once we stabalize the web site, we can certainly look at updating the information and seeing what future features we can add.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                      I'm willing to accept the fact that some people don't think we got our money's worth and move on with more positive endeavours.
                      I'm not a web site maven so I have to ask this question. Do you think the CFC got its moneys worth?
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                        I'm not a web site maven so I have to ask this question. Do you think the CFC got its moneys worth?
                        Hi Gary - I think it is far too early to ask this question. We are still working out the bugs and I can appreciate that some people are frustrated.

I do believe this has been a wise investment for the CFC. I really think it will take 6 months before the full value of the new website is appreciated by the membership. We should take a poll at Christmas time. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                          I do believe this has been a wise investment for the CFC. I really think it will take 6 months before the full value of the new website is appreciated by the membership. We should take a poll at Christmas time. :)
                          I don't know what a poll would give other than personal preference.

I noticed the criticism of the French translation on the site. Not a language with which I know enough to comment on the translation.

It reminds me of a time when I had a number of CC documents which had been changed translated to French. I received criticism over the translation. That stopped when I told the main critics who had done the translation. Possibly it depends on how well the translator understand the English which is being translated.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                            I don't know what a poll would give other than personal preference.

I noticed the criticism of the French translation on the site. Not a language with which I know enough to comment on the translation.

It reminds me of a time when I had a number of CC documents which had been changed translated to French. I received criticism over the translation. That stopped when I told the main critics who had done the translation. Possibly it depends on how well the translator understand the English which is being translated.
                            I have never forgotten a line from a French Canadian in the Investment Business. I had traveled to Montreal to review some complaints regarding the translations we used in certain business documents.

After an hour of disagreements among the 5 member panel of French Canadians regarding translations from English to French, one older member said, "You could ask 5 of us to translate something and most likely get 5 different answers!" The levity cooled things off and we got to work!

Comment

Working...
                            X